Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I will be ordering a set of GP5000s for race days, I had no idea there was such a difference !

Thanks gentlemen !

Tom
Last edited by: CDA70.32021: Mar 15, 24 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just dremel it like everyone said. That air chuck is really nice to use. Crack pipes are a pain in the morning. Although you'll still want a crack pipe in your kit for race repairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are the heights of some of the presta chucks I've tried, in case this is helpful for others:
- 25.2mm Silca Hiro
- 23.5mm Topeak Pressure Rite
- 22.1mm Silca disc wheel adapter
- 18.2mm Prestacycle Presta Head

Only the last one fits my disc, and even with that I end up with some bent valve cores (though those are easy to swap). It also requires using one hand to hold the chuck on and one to pump.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I used to ride on gatorskins because I was afraid to flat. And then when I did flat on the road, it ruined my ride and I had to get a ride home (embarrassing). So I sat on the couch one afternoon and just practiced taking a tire off, replacing the tube, and putting the tire back on. Over and over until I got myself comfortable.

I switched to training (and racing) on GP5000's and they are fantastic. I can actually FEEL the difference between how a gatorskin rolls vs. the GP5000. The GP5000s feel softer, they roll better and they make me more confident when the road is wet or I'm turning.

It's not about fast vs. slow to me, it's about comfort and for that reason I would reco swapping tires!

I know I didn't help you on your post, but good luck with that and hopefully shorter valves will help =)

If you’re on butyl tubes, switch to latex and you’ll get a similar, additional improvement in feel.

You have to top up the pressure before each ride, but the liveliness of the tire makes it worth it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
Here are the heights of some of the presta chucks I've tried, in case this is helpful for others:
- 25.2mm Silca Hiro
- 23.5mm Topeak Pressure Rite
- 22.1mm Silca disc wheel adapter
- 18.2mm Prestacycle Presta Head

Only the last one fits my disc, and even with that I end up with some bent valve cores (though those are easy to swap). It also requires using one hand to hold the chuck on and one to pump.

Just slide some Velcro through the disc cutout and wrap around tire and chuck. I keep a loop of Velcro on my pump so it’s always there when a disc needs pumping with the type of chuck you mentioned last. Works amazingly well and it’s much easier to pump with two hands.

https://www.amazon.com/...&sr=8-4&th=1
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Mar 15, 24 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d like to try this but I can’t visualize how it works!
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I’d like to try this but I can’t visualize how it works!

Make a snug circular loop around the chuck head and tire. You only need about a 9 or 10 inch piece of double sided Velcro in the link I posted above. Velcro goes through disc wheel cutout that the chuck is also in and I connect the loop snugly on the tire side (versus the chuck side). The loop compresses the chuck and tires. When you pump the tire, the Velcro loop gets even snugger as the tire expands with pressure, pulling the chuck slightly closer to the valve core and tire. Works like a charm. The Velcro replaces your hand that was holding the chuck against the inner tube valve.

Image - Velcro loop is in red. The part of the loop you don’t see is on the other side of the wheel. You need a hole cutout in disc material on both sides of valve, like the disc wheel in picture.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Mar 15, 24 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only works when there is an opening from both sides of the disc. Not many have that.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Only works when there is an opening from both sides of the disc. Not many have that.

Ah that’s my problem. My premierdisc only is cutout on one side of the disk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. I had a 321 and now Aerocoach. One side. Most are I believe one side.

I use a Fumpa at races and is tight ass fit. At home Hiro with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I switched to training (and racing) on GP5000's and they are fantastic. I can actually FEEL the difference between how a gatorskin rolls vs. the GP5000. The GP5000s feel softer, they roll better and they make me more confident when the road is wet or I'm turning.

It's not about fast vs. slow to me, it's about comfort and for that reason I would reco swapping tires!

If you're looking for comfort, GP5k is one of the worst of the fast tires. Vittoria, Veloflex, Michelin, and Tufo all feel way smoother.

The first time I switched from GP5k S TR to Michelin Power Cup, I kept pulling over to check if I had a flat. At 70 psi, it felt like the GP5k at 20psi!

For racing I'll sick to GP5k to save the last W, but for fast training tires, I'm now addicted to supple tires which the GP5k is not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a handheld compressor rather than a pump. a) it'll likely have a small enough chuck, b) if it doesn't and you need to use the crack pipe, you can hold it on by hand easily.
Quote Reply

Prev Next