Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck.
Quote | Reply

Need just a bit more room....this is a Gatorskin 700x25 with a ContiTube 700x20-25 with a 42mm presta. Im thinking a 32mm presta would do it but cant seem to find one online. Any tips or suggestions on what other folks are using?

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this one. It works great. I think I have a space just like yours. It’s tight but you can screw this in.

https://www.amazon.com/...B00GKH49GI&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you running a gator skin tire with a disc?

Can you get a tune with a shorter valve?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s a blast from the past. I think that wheel is older than my son and he’s a freshman in college.

Is it a solid disc or a spoked disc like Hed?

Anyhoo… I’d take a dremel to it and make the opening larger assuming there’s room to do so without hitting anything structural. I mean that in all seriousness.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 13, 24 19:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the lowest-profile chuck I’ve found; I use it with a similarly tight-fitting disc: https://a.co/d/ic4wkSa
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
That’s a blast from the past. I think that wheel is older than my son and he’s a freshman in college.

Anyhoo… I’d take a dremel to it and make the opening larger assuming there’s room to do so without hitting anything structural. I mean that in all seriousness.

I’ve done the same. It’s no big deal to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on getting a GP5000 instead of the Gatorskin, and using a latex tube.

For the valve issue, you may want to widen the hole the valve goes through. This allows you to angle the valve slightly to get the head on. You can always use the valve stem nut to stabilize it after inflation (though I find it unnecessary).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDA70.32021 wrote:

Need just a bit more room....this is a Gatorskin 700x25 with a ContiTube 700x20-25 with a 42mm presta. I'm thinking a 32mm presta would do it but cant seem to find one online.
https://www.performancebike.com/giant-700c-thorn-resistant-inner-tube-presta-20-25mm-32mm-330000044/p449874?v=333940
20-25 and 32mm valve: would be an appropriate match for a Gatorskin
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

For the valve issue, you may want to widen the hole the valve goes through. This allows you to angle the valve slightly to get the head on. You can always use the valve stem nut to stabilize it after inflation (though I find it unnecessary).

i think this is a very bad idea, especially if you use a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, the reinforced area is small to begin with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crack pipe
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Crack pipe

This^^^^ it's all about the crack pipe.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crack pipe is the only thing thatll fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issues with this, I use a Citec wheel but I think the opening is a bit larger.

Got the same Hiro silca adapter, because I would not trust the crack pipe on course to repair with co2, they are unreliable and frequent use destroys the joint.

My solution was a latex tube, I think Michelin but unsure, could check this weekend. 36 mm valve without removable core.
Flat kit solution is a butyl 32 or 36mm inner tube : that way, I can fix both rear or front (just add the extender, takes 10 seconds) with one spare tube.
I Could not find a latex with short valve AND removable core, so I would have to carry two.

If , on your wheel, the carbon flask is structural like mine, I would not consider enlarging the opening.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

We’re talking about increasing the hole diameter by <1mm; the reinforced area is still way larger. Just make sure there are no burrs. I’ve been running a disc with latex and no rim strip for over 15yrs. w/o issue.

You could use a little square of butyl tube with a hole for the stem to reinforce the area, but unnecessary imo.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

We’re talking about increasing the hole diameter by <1mm; the reinforced area is still way larger. Just make sure there are no burrs. I’ve been running a disc with latex and no rim strip for over 15yrs. w/o issue.

You could use a little square of butyl tube with a hole for the stem to reinforce the area, but unnecessary imo.

Great, still think it's a very bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, get a smaller pump head. The Silca head is great, but it's not low profile enough to use with many disc wheels. They actually offer a version of what you're looking for that's quite nice.

...and for sure ditch the gatorskins. Those things are just awful.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Why are you running a gator skin tire with a disc?

Can you get a tune with a shorter valve?

Yes that's me plan, had a LBS order 32mm prestas, that should give plenty of room as I just measured with a micrometer. Not sure what to say on the gator skin, I have always run those. Reading the comments looks like these are not so popular!
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Hello sir, its a solid disc and hell yes its old like me ! I saw it on Ebay for 250 dollars and bought it. Never owned one so just snatched it up. It weighs about the same as my Reynold 80mm rear wheel. I think the wheel is from 2006 but its in great shepe and the bearings feel great as well. Ill press new ones in if necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a disc wheel but my 42mm presta valve is too long, even with the 60 dollar air chuck. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
As others have mentioned, get a smaller pump head. The Silca head is great, but it's not low profile enough to use with many disc wheels. They actually offer a version of what you're looking for that's quite nice.

...and for sure ditch the gatorskins. Those things are just awful.

And this one is 35 instead of the 60 I spent ! I like how mine locks however and the 32mm presta will work.

Thank you for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you go and buy new tubes, make sure you can actually operate the silca pump head inside the cutout once you get it on the valve. Those heads don't just need more clearance at the top, they also need it on the sides.
Pull the valve stem down to where the shorten one would be, see if you can get the head on. I know I can't use the one I have on many disc wheels. It's enough of a problem that I won't take that pump head with me when I'm working neutral support gigs.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDA70.32021 wrote:
Not sure what to say on the gator skin, I have always run those. Reading the comments looks like these are not so popular!

Its fine, just don't race on them. No one cares how fast you go in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorskin tires are extremely slow. I believe I saw a case where someone did the math and they could flat in a race, stop to repair it, and they'd still end up with a better time than if they'd raced on the gatorskins. I'd definitely use something else for racing. They're also have fairly bad grip, which isn't exactly what you'd want
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need something like this:
https://www.bike24.com/...zyne%20ventilaufsatz

I've got a plastic black version of that aluminium one, also of Lezyne, which fits even in a smaller place.
Those chucks will probably only fit on Lezyne pumps. Worth buying though.

You pump with one hand (you need a floor pump) and hold the chuck with the other hand on the valve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride on gatorskins because I was afraid to flat. And then when I did flat on the road, it ruined my ride and I had to get a ride home (embarrassing). So I sat on the couch one afternoon and just practiced taking a tire off, replacing the tube, and putting the tire back on. Over and over until I got myself comfortable.

I switched to training (and racing) on GP5000's and they are fantastic. I can actually FEEL the difference between how a gatorskin rolls vs. the GP5000. The GP5000s feel softer, they roll better and they make me more confident when the road is wet or I'm turning.

It's not about fast vs. slow to me, it's about comfort and for that reason I would reco swapping tires!

I know I didn't help you on your post, but good luck with that and hopefully shorter valves will help =)
Quote Reply

Prev Next