Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Plenty of wiggle room there.
How many aid station bottles can I have down my kit? ONE
Does it have to be aligned with my torso? What if it's faster to put in sideways? SUIT YOURSELF
Can I fold it in half to increase it's area? HOW DO YOU FOLD A BOTTLE
Can I put one bottle on the inside of each sleeve and another down the front? NO
If they're also handing out gels can I grab 20 of those and keep filling the space? YES

But the TRI Rules (2024) say 0.5 litre bladder only, on the back not the front.
We need to have a regime where an athlete can put their gels and ONE bottle picked up on course down their front (see Sanders or LCB at Oceanside 22). We can stop anything (other than a bladder of pint volume) being put down the front in T1 (by a ref stopping athletes at the dismount line with a threat of 'sort it or DQ').

These rules are fine, no issues. But they're clearer than the current rules. That's my issue. At a certain point it's going to need to be anything goes or nothing goes.

And the aid station bottles are usually those disposable pop top ones, easily foldable/bendable. There is definitely an optimal way to put that generic bottle into your kit.

We could just force everyone to wear speedos and carry bottles around in the crack of their butt. It worked for the 2005 world champion the one and only Faris !!! Faris would bike 3:55 in today's aero gear at Kona !!!

This picture looks like one of those Instagram concept bikes that are made to look oh so speedy. Its like a car that a 10 year old boy would think is awesome. The look of pure speed, but years is knowledge later realizing it's all show and no go.

But bonus points for the Power Bar tattoos. Ads will always find a way
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

But the TRI Rules (2024) say 0.5 litre bladder only, on the back not the front.
We need to have a regime where an athlete can put their gels and ONE bottle picked up on course down their front (see Sanders or LCB at Oceanside 22). We can stop anything (other than a bladder of pint volume) being put down the front in T1 (by a ref stopping athletes at the dismount line with a threat of 'sort it or DQ').

These rules are fine, no issues. But they're clearer than the current rules. That's my issue. At a certain point it's going to need to be anything goes or nothing goes.

And the aid station bottles are usually those disposable pop top ones, easily foldable/bendable. There is definitely an optimal way to put that generic bottle into your kit.
Which doesn't include "folding" it, for aero advantage (if any in first place).
The 2024 IRONMAN Rules have been published (wef 6 March) and the relevant section is:

5.01(m) Except as set forth below in Section 5.02(b) [actually IM may have wanted to refer to 5.03(b); below but it's not clear (5.02(b) refers to helmets)], additional equipment that has the effect of reducing wind resistance is prohibited during the bike segment of the Race (whether such equipment is worn under the athlete’s clothing, over the athlete’s
clothing, or is otherwise attached to the athlete's body or the athlete’s bike). This
includes, but is not limited to, (i) any bottles/hydration or any other insert located in
the front of an athlete’s race suit and (ii) any insert in an athlete’s calf sleeves; (DSQ)

5.03(b) Protective screens, fuselages, fairings, or any other devices or materials (including
duct tape) added or blended into the structure with the intent to reduce (or having
the effect of reducing) resistance to air penetration are prohibited. Aerodynamic
assemblies and protuberances on the head tube or elsewhere are prohibited; (DSQ)

This rule implies that temporary storage of a bottle in a pocket or down the front (see Sanders at Oceanside) will risk a DQ. And chucking outside a litter zone will mean DQ.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 12, 24 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike hydration manufacturers have won the war.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Ain't nobody making money off $15 bladders.

You're a high roller. I'll take my $3, 1.5L Smartwater bottle w/drink tube out of the collar of my kit and... recycle it now, I guess. Maybe I can save enough pennies from non-existent water bottle recycle payments (do they even still do that, at a nickel each?) and buy a new $4k+ frame with integrated hydration. Politics suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdana87 wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Ain't nobody making money off $15 bladders.

You're a high roller. I'll take my $3, 1.5L Smartwater bottle w/drink tube out of the collar of my kit and... recycle it now, I guess. Maybe I can save enough pennies from non-existent water bottle recycle payments (do they even still do that, at a nickel each?) and buy a new $4k+ frame with integrated hydration. Politics suck.

Yep and now instead of my 1.5L bladder I also had used for camping now I can hammer $100 more bucks to Profike design for more bottle cages behind my seat to make up for it. This rule is as dumb as my race pics in the bike look with the bladder.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next