Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bottles down the kit 2024
Quote | Reply
The Athlete Guide for 70.3 NZ makes no mention of the rumored ban of bottles and bladders down the kit for 2024.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe IM doesn't update its rules until right before the North American races start (Oceanside) around March timeframe. So if there is going to be a change, I would expect to see it in March.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe IM follows the uci rules for this type of stuff so if they don’t ban it then IM won’t ban it. That’s what I was told my Andrew messick last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
The Athlete Guide for 70.3 NZ makes no mention of the rumored ban of bottles and bladders down the kit for 2024.
Not IM but bottles (or owt else) placed in that way are not allowed in T100 races, according to the T100 appx in World Tri Rules 2024 (published last week):
World Triathlon Competition Rules (13 February 2024)
https://www.triathlon.org/...es_2024_20240219.pdf
APPENDIX V: T100 TRIATHLON WORLD SERIES
10.3. Specifically, the following items are not all[owed]:
a.) Bottles/hydration or any other insert located in the front of an athlete’s race suit.
b.) Any insert in an athlete’s calf sleeves.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [An_apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An_apple wrote:
I believe IM follows the uci rules for this type of stuff so if they don’t ban it then IM won’t ban it. That’s what I was told my Andrew messick last year.

It has been banned by the UCI for many years.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/...e-over-camelbak-use/

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, the "Competition Rules" for the following year don't typically take effect until either March 15 or April 1.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
An_apple wrote:

Think you need to do better than that, Ben. Which cyclists have been DQ'd for breaking whatever rule (some random or Italian mag thinks) might apply.
What is the current UCI Rule?
2011: Schleck has "nothing to hide" over Camelbak use - Leopard Trek rider didn't know he could possibly be breaking UCI rules.
ICU judged he had not broken the rules (UCI rule 1.3.033: "it is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances of a rider such as reducing air resistance or modifying the body of the rider."
Possibly because he wasn't "wearing" a bladder, he was using it to drink from (and it could be drunk from).
What is Sanders meant to do when between trash zones in Oceanside and finds the bottle he's picked up won't fit in his cage? Do a Charles Barclay and accidentally drop it? Or responsibly put it down his top till he can ditch it 'legally'.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
An_apple wrote:

Think you need to do better than that, Ben. Which cyclists have been DQ'd for breaking whatever rule (some random or Italian mag thinks) might apply.
2011: Schleck has "nothing to hide" over Camelbak use - Leopard Trek rider didn't know he could possibly be breaking UCI rules.
ICU judged he had not broken the rules (UCI rule 1.3.033: "it is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances of a rider such as reducing air resistance or modifying the body of the rider."
Possibly because he wasn't "wearing" a bladder, he was using it to drink from (and it could be drunk from).
What is Sanders meant to do when between trash zones in Oceanside and finds the bottle he's picked up won't fit in his cage? Do a Charles Barclay and accidentally drop it? Or responsibly put it down his top till he can ditch it 'legally'.

If we're guessing the outcomes here based on not-wholly unfounded stereotypes of officiating, Sanders in this case will receive a penalty for either 'unsafe riding' by holding the bottle or a DQ for attempting to use the bottle as a fairing by holding it in front of his face.

The rule will have to be so carefully worded that I think it's a fools errand. Maybe say "no items larger than a race-provided water bottle may be held in the front of the suit". Otherwise we get into ridiculousness about heart rate monitors counting as "inserts into the front of the jersey"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
An_apple wrote:

Strangely enough, the riders sometimes stuff many bottles down the back of their kit and the UCI doesn't bat an eye! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
An_apple wrote:

What are you talking about? Do your own research. The UCI TT and IM rules are extremely different.
You dont see UCI riders getting DQ'ed often because kit & setup is checked, measured before they can go to the start line.
Half the “Triathlon” bike aren’t legal for UCI events.
The UCI limits lots of stuff around bike fit, Saddle position, extension position. IM it’s pretty much unrestricted.
A couple of years ago the UCI went out of it way to ban a tiny fairing on the Aero-coach front wheel. Look at the massive & blatant cockpit fairings we see in IM races now. They would not be even close to allowed within a UCI sanctioned TT.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Last edited by: BenwGoodfellow: Mar 4, 24 1:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Not IM but bottles (or owt else) placed in that way are not allowed in T100 races, according to the T100 appx in World Tri Rules 2024 (published last week):
World Triathlon Competition Rules (13 February 2024)
https://www.triathlon.org/...es_2024_20240219.pdf
APPENDIX V: T100 TRIATHLON WORLD SERIES
10.3. Specifically, the following items are not all[owed]:
a.) Bottles/hydration or any other insert located in the front of an athlete’s race suit.
b.) Any insert in an athlete’s calf sleeves.

That's very definitive.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
An_apple wrote:
It has been banned by the UCI for many years. https://www.cyclingnews.com/...e-over-camelbak-use/
What is the current UCI Rule?/quote]The UCI TT and IM rules are extremely different. [check]
You don't see UCI riders getting DQ'ed often because kit & setup is checked, measured before they can go to the start line. [So some do get DQ'd then. Who? Or doesn't this receive any publicity? Did Remco get DQ'd?]
Half the “Triathlon” bikes aren’t legal for UCI events. [So?]
The UCI limits lots of stuff around bike fit, Saddle position, extension position. IM it’s pretty much unrestricted. [check]
To be clear, I think this 'stuff down the front' is ugly and should be banned, with monitoring and control exercised in and at the exit of T1. A bladder on max volume 500ml down the front is acceptable imho (and too small to have aero benefit). Subsequent bottle down the front to avoid littering should result in penalty if extended over time (eg beyond a 'trash zone'). I have suggested a first draft rule amdt in one of the long 'bottle down the front threads on here.
Here's some UCI explanatory notes (Jan 2023): https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/...-_20230126_-_ENG.pdf
UCI Regs - ARTICLE 1.3.024 BIS
CAMELBACK
Hydration is an essential physiological consideration for athletes during a physical effort.
Neither bottles nor camelback systems should diverge from their original function.
There is a significant risk of camelback systems or any similar devices being used for other
purposes than their original function. For this reason certain restrictions apply if they are to
be used in competition:
• The camelback system is authorized for competition solely for the purpose of rehydrating
the rider.
• It must not be the case that the system, presented as a way of improving a rider's
hydration during an effort, is accompanied by an "aerodynamic clothing" advantage, in
this way deflecting the camelback system from its original function.
• The liquid container must not be capable of holding more than 0.5 liters and must not be
a rigid shape
liable to be considered as a device for improving the rider’s aerodynamic
qualities.
• The use of the camelback system must not modify the rider's morphology and must thus
be directly attached against the body. [ie no low-hanging gut arrangements]
• The use of the camelback system is only allowed on the back of the rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0,5 liters?
Too small to have aero benefit?...

Big enough to spend time in T1 to put it in the suit ;)

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magnus has a bottle down his kit at Miami. Apparently the rule is you can grab one from an aid station and but it down your kit as long as you use it and discard it. Magnus hasn’t touched it once the whole race.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Mar 9, 24 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Magnus has a bottle down his kit at Miami. Apparently the rule is you can grab one from an aid station and but it down your kit as long as you use it and discard it. Magnus hasn’t touched it once the whole race.

Plenty of wiggle room there.

How many aid station bottles can I have down my kit?

Does it have to be aligned with my torso? What if it's faster to put in sideways

Can I fold it in half to increase it's area?

Can I put one bottle on the inside of each sleeve and another down the front?

If they're also handing out gels can I grab 20 of those and keep filling the space?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If any of these things were remotely practical or made a difference, maybe it would be relevant. Rules don't need to me more specific if no one will bend them that way.

The bigger issue is the time between using the bottle, replacing it, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles down the kit 2024 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
If any of these things were remotely practical or made a difference, maybe it would be relevant. Rules don't need to me more specific if no one will bend them that way.

The bigger issue is the time between using the bottle, replacing it, etc.

You sound like the UCI writing helmet rules. 'nobody will ever extend the helmet forward so the rule doesn't have to be specific'.

Stands to reason that folding a mostly empty bottle in half and putting it down your kit in the shape of a pyramid coming off your chest would maximally fill the space between your arms. This would take all of 10 seconds to do while riding along. You'd have to test it and see if it's actually faster, but the trend that's seen is that bigger bottles in the kit=better aero.

Maybe it doesn't matter, but a smart racer would test out the options before dismissing them as impractical or indifferent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just think banning this is stupid. I used a 1.5 liter bladder last year and it worked great. I reduced the number of bottles in my frame and avoided having to use aid stations. The bite valve just sticks out the top of my Tri kit and it’s super easy to drink off. I know it looks ridiculous but it’s convenient.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Mar 10, 24 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I just think banning this is stupid. I used a 1.5 liter bladder last year and it worked great. I reduced the number of bottles in my frame and avoided having to use aid stations. The bite valve just sticks out the top of my Tri kit and it’s super easy to drink off. I know it looks ridiculous but it’s convenient.

Wholeheartedly agree. If I know anything about the world though, the fact that there is no money to be made means there will be few insiders defending it, and it will likely be banned. Fancy aerobars, ceramicspeed, Giro Aerohead 2, all of these have less effect but a high price (and corresponding high profits). Ain't nobody making money off $15 bladders.

If we're going to start legislating triathlon based on 'how silly things look' then we're going to have a laundry list of prohibitions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But race directors are better off if they can have less aid stations.

Almost everyone carries a spare tube. If eventually everyone carried a bladder down a specialty front camelback style system I could see race directors being happy to coordinate less volunteers, drinks, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

How many aid station bottles can I have down my kit?

Does it have to be aligned with my torso? What if it's faster to put in sideways

Can I fold it in half to increase it's area?

Can I put one bottle on the inside of each sleeve and another down the front?

If they're also handing out gels can I grab 20 of those and keep filling the space?

Not to mention - functionally what's the difference between having your own bottle at T1 and grabbing a bottle at an aid station. I suppose that you could do testing to figure out which size/shape is best, but if we're going to quibble about where you get your bottle from... Either a rule is a rule (you either can or you can't put things down your shirt) or it isn't.

there's also an argument to be made that you can put your own formula in a T1 bottle and so it actually has more utility (outside aero benefit) than a random bottle you get along the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
How many aid station bottles can I have down my kit? ONE
Does it have to be aligned with my torso? What if it's faster to put in sideways? SUIT YOURSELF
Can I fold it in half to increase it's area? HOW DO YOU FOLD A BOTTLE
Can I put one bottle on the inside of each sleeve and another down the front? NO
If they're also handing out gels can I grab 20 of those and keep filling the space? YES

But the TRI Rules (2024) say 0.5 litre bladder only, on the back not the front.
We need to have a regime where an athlete can put their gels and ONE bottle picked up on course down their front (see Sanders or LCB at Oceanside 22). We can stop anything (other than a bladder of pint volume) being put down the front in T1 (by a ref stopping athletes at the dismount line with a threat of 'sort it or DQ').
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Does it have to be aligned with my torso? What if it's faster to put in sideways? SUIT YOURSELF
Can I put one bottle on the inside of each sleeve and another down the front? NO
If they're also handing out gels can I grab 20 of those and keep filling the space? YES

We need to have a regime where an athlete can put their gels and ONE bottle picked up on course down their front (see Sanders or LCB at Oceanside 22). We can stop anything (other than a bladder of pint volume) being put down the front in T1 (by a ref stopping athletes at the dismount line with a threat of 'sort it or DQ').

These rules are fine, no issues. But they're clearer than the current rules. That's my issue. At a certain point it's going to need to be anything goes or nothing goes.

And the aid station bottles are usually those disposable pop top ones, easily foldable/bendable. There is definitely an optimal way to put that generic bottle into your kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
mathematics wrote:

These rules are fine, no issues. But they're clearer than the current rules. That's my issue. At a certain point it's going to need to be anything goes or nothing goes.

And the aid station bottles are usually those disposable pop top ones, easily foldable/bendable. There is definitely an optimal way to put that generic bottle into your kit.

We could just force everyone to wear speedos and carry bottles around in the crack of their butt. It worked for the 2005 world champion the one and only Faris !!! Faris would bike 3:55 in today's aero gear at Kona !!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree. If I know anything about the world though, the fact that there is no money to be made means there will be few insiders defending it, and it will likely be banned. Fancy aerobars, ceramicspeed, Giro Aerohead 2, all of these have less effect but a high price (and corresponding high profits). Ain't nobody making money off $15 bladders.

If we're going to start legislating triathlon based on 'how silly things look' then we're going to have a laundry list of prohibitions.

We were racing down mainstreet in speedos in the mid 1980's already with no tops on. We did not get banned from doing that! I think the entire sport is safe looking stupid on mainstreet haha!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next