Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the gloves! I've often brought multiple pairs on winter rides and have switched between thick gloves at the start, thin gloves when it warms up, no gloves on a climb, thick gloves for the descent, thin gloves to finish. Same goes for a hat/skull cap. These two pieces of kit are small volume-wise but a big factor in staying comfortable (and importantly, also keeping your descending/warm kit DRY and not sweaty).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may not be all that cold, even though it looks that way based on how he's dressed. He may be like me and prefer to be slightly overdressed in cooler temps. I might wear a light jacket and full leg warmers in temps up to 50-55 deg F, but it's not nearly cold enough for gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the pearl izumi cyclone gloves for mid-30s to low 40s. Sealskinz gloves for when it's below freezing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
Was just watching the recent Dylan Johnson YouTube video and there’s a lot of scenes where he has full winter body coverage, except for his hands. Also have noticed the no hands covered in other social media posts for other pro/amateur cyclist.

Is this a “fashion” statement? Meaning it “looks cool” to not cover the hands. Or are these athletes blessed with warm hands in cold conditions?

For me personally, my hands tend to be the coldest part of my body when winter riding, and I cannot imagine going on a cold ride without my cycling gloves.

Even when I’m running, I can run in colder weather without a shirt but I still have to cover my hands.

Maybe I have a Raynoud’s type issue going on

100,000kms +...I wouldn't have done 20kms without gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
This is a weird discussion.

Bike 20 mph Fahrenheit...

A person doesn't need gloves if the temperature is above 50.

Gloves are comfy above 40

Gloves are necessary if you want to use brakes and gears and you don't like a lot of pain: 32- 40

Gloves are necessary if you want to keep your fingers: below 32

Please add: I wear gloves when temp is under 65, Raynaud's sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
Was just watching the recent Dylan Johnson YouTube video and there’s a lot of scenes where he has full winter body coverage, except for his hands. Also have noticed the no hands covered in other social media posts for other pro/amateur cyclist.

Is this a “fashion” statement? Meaning it “looks cool” to not cover the hands. Or are these athletes blessed with warm hands in cold conditions?

For me personally, my hands tend to be the coldest part of my body when winter riding, and I cannot imagine going on a cold ride without my cycling gloves.

Backwards Hat Dylan says having to wear gloves means you are not working hard enough. On top of that the damage to your hands from crashing while not wearing them is a signal to others you are a real cyclist.
Quote Reply

Prev Next