Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves
Quote | Reply
Was just watching the recent Dylan Johnson YouTube video and there’s a lot of scenes where he has full winter body coverage, except for his hands. Also have noticed the no hands covered in other social media posts for other pro/amateur cyclist.

Is this a “fashion” statement? Meaning it “looks cool” to not cover the hands. Or are these athletes blessed with warm hands in cold conditions?

For me personally, my hands tend to be the coldest part of my body when winter riding, and I cannot imagine going on a cold ride without my cycling gloves.

Even when I’m running, I can run in colder weather without a shirt but I still have to cover my hands.

Maybe I have a Raynoud’s type issue going on
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of different scenarios going on to read anything into it.

His "winter" is different to mine, which is different to yours, and different again to someone elses. Try no gloves in a typical northern europe winter; cold wet and windy.
He doesnt "feel" the cold.
He's taken his gloves off while doing his piece to camera, to operate something..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal rule is that if I can see my breath, I'm wearing gloves, either running OR riding - usually around 45*F

I have adopted something I call the "Balboa Threshold" of 28*F, below which I will not run outside

Upon my umpteenth viewing of Rocky, I noticed that was the exact temperature Don "Boom Boom" Cannon said it was when Rocky woke up at 4AM [and drank a cupful of eggs] to do his first training run, without gloves or mittens, and struggled up the Art Museum steps

Riding would be completely out of the question at that temp; running would be an option, however, if I'm feeling extremely badass (like a couple of weeks ago when it was 18*F)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah this seems pretty simple. You see him without gloves on a (usually self recorded) video. iPhones don't work well with gloves. Gloves are off for video.

If your hands are cold wear gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Yeah this seems pretty simple. You see him without gloves on a (usually self recorded) video. iPhones don't work well with gloves. Gloves are off for video.

Yeah but I was watching an Instagram reel of Keegan and Finsty riding with a larger group in Tucson (on a cold day) and a few of those pros were not wearing gloves. Maybe they were all taking turns filming with their phones, for their social media presence, and it just appears as a no glove majority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
mathematics wrote:

Yeah but I was watching an Instagram reel of Keegan and Finsty riding with a larger group in Tucson (on a cold day) and a few of those pros were not wearing gloves. Maybe they were all taking turns filming with their phones, for their social media presence, and it just appears as a no glove majority.

How cold was it? If you're doing a hard ride in the hills 40-50 deg can become no glove possible. It's also easier to take gloves off for a few min on a big hill than a jacket or a hat.

If you start out in the morning when it's 20deg your gonna wear big thick gloves. By midday when it's 40-50deg it's almost better to wear no gloves than those same big thick ones. Ain't no one taking two pair of gloves for a training ride.

I doubt it's a fashion statement tho. It's easier to put sponsor logos on a glove than a bare hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mild Renauds, my hands always feel cold, and I winter cycle in Toronto, so I always wear gloves in the winter. Basically if it's 5C/40F or less, the gloves are on! When it's minus 20, I'm wearing full down "explorer" mitts. Terrible for shifting, etc., but needed.

I always marvel at people that don't need gloves when it is cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
mathematics wrote:

Don't let IG decide what's best for YOU

Like mathematics said "If your hands are cold, wear gloves" and I'll add "fuck what other people do"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"cold" is different for everyone.

mid 40's, I would often start with gloves and have them off for majority of the ride after I started generating good heat, especially on a climb heavy ride, same with running down to the low 20's.

I've also spent my life in Western, NY and have trained and worked outdoors year-round for decades, so what I consider cold may be different than what you consider cold.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
. iPhones don't work well with gloves.

That could be it, just pointing out there are gloves these days that work remarkably well with touchscreens. I use them more for my touchscreen head unit than phones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty common in cross to warm-up in gloves, then take them off once at race temp. Definitely a "feel for the bike" commentary than a fashion statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:
mathematics wrote:

Don't let IG decide what's best for YOU

Like mathematics said "If your hands are cold, wear gloves" and I'll add "fuck what other people do"

No, I agree. I've been wearing gloves for winter riding when its 55F (13C) or below forever. I'm a cold weather wimp. I'll ride but I'm covering up good. My question was more out of curiosity than anything. I just thought it looked "trendy" to be all kitted out (for winter riding) with no gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is one thing I have learned and seen. Who cares what someone else is doing. If your COLD, wear gloves, hat etc. Still amazed when I see people in triathlons freezing their asses off on the bike as gloves, arm warmers, jacket might not be aero or want to put on. Instead they freeze and lose more time. So yes, some people can go gloveless but please,..if your cold, be warm. Of course when I race bicycles Europe in the late 80's we did have super hot creams that when applied did actually keep you warm if it was dry.. those creams seem to have died out..at least here in the US
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaker wrote:
If there is one thing I have learned and seen. Who cares what someone else is doing. If your COLD, wear gloves, hat etc. Still amazed when I see people in triathlons freezing their asses off on the bike as gloves, arm warmers, jacket might not be aero or want to put on. Instead they freeze and lose more time. So yes, some people can go gloveless but please,..if your cold, be warm. Of course when I race bicycles Europe in the late 80's we did have super hot creams that when applied did actually keep you warm if it was dry.. those creams seem to have died out..at least here in the US

This may be a dumb question but I don't have time to look it up right now.......those creams, is that embrocation? I may have misspelled that.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your hands are cold, it's very hard to change tubes when you get a flat. If you can handle all that, gloves can be optional, but no way in hell I will not wear gloves when it's cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct on those creams. We were just talking about how no one uses them in America. They were always fringe items, then DZ made it popular for a sort time than gone.. I WISH i had a jar of this euro stuff from long ago..Serious stuff, was to go whenever it was cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go gloveless in winter here and you'll have no fingers to cover after they are frost bit.

Gloves are tricky, easy for them to be too warm or too cold, never can strike the right balance. Gladly take advice on gloves for the 30F to 45F range.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
Go gloveless in winter here and you'll have no fingers to cover after they are frost bit.

Gloves are tricky, easy for them to be too warm or too cold, never can strike the right balance. Gladly take advice on gloves for the 30F to 45F range.

Bar mitts (aka pogies) with light full finger gloves are, as the Gen-Zers say, amazeballs. You get good brake and shift actuation with the lighter gloves. Or manipulate head unit buttons or touchscreens easily. And the pogies can be great. In mountain biking in cold weather with full heavy gloves, I'd be fine ascending, but my hands would absolutely freeze descending. Like after the ride I was unable to work my helmet buckle or enter the code to my garage door opener. But with pogies, wind from descending is zero issue.

Edit: But I'm talking maybe more single-digit to teens F, not 30F-45F. For that you might be better off with just medium-weight full finger gloves. Or sometimes if there's a descent late in a mountain day, I'll keep a pair of dry glove liners in my jersey pocket, and throw those on under the medium gloves for the descent.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 14, 24 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my fatty I usually use pearl izumi lobster mitts.

I am not putting pogies on my gravel bike man...

I do plan on making some pogies for my fat bike with a bear hide I have. Just been too lazy to do it.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:

I am not putting pogies on my gravel bike man...

I hear you, but if you're doing gravel in legit cold (near-0 or lower F), the thick lobster mitts are rough. When you're trying to brake or shift gears it tends to be, as Sarah Palin would say, "hopey changey." You make sort of the approximately right shifting or braking motion and hope the right thing happens.

Lobster-style fat biking is easier as braking and shifting are a bit simpler and often less necessary.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 14, 24 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloves (or at least fingerless mitts) every ride for me.

Skinned palms were fooking miserable as a kid. They hurt just as much as a grown up. But they take longer to heal up now. And not being able to do my job on a Monday morning because I fell off the bike on Sunday and can't use my hands, is pretty unprofessional.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter cycling - gloves or no gloves [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a weird discussion.

Bike 20 mph Fahrenheit...

A person doesn't need gloves if the temperature is above 50.

Gloves are comfy above 40

Gloves are necessary if you want to use brakes and gears and you don't like a lot of pain: 32- 40

Gloves are necessary if you want to keep your fingers: below 32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bike in the Cali winter in summer kit, but even I still wear (summer, full finger) gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bike gloves always. Bike gloves with cotton gloves under when temps are between 45-60. Perl Izumi fingered winter gloves between 32-45. Gore claws below 32.
Quote Reply

Prev Next