Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
but now having my own company several of my key team do sports of various kinds .

In my company we do many sports too. Road cycling, MTB, Gravel, Tri, adventure racing (only if there is a bike leg)
Helps that there are just two of us.
And my job is to talk to people about bikes (I really am a very simple character). I can understand why this has been your outlet for 21years!
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Did I get it? As of right now we are at 4999998.

Cheers,
Maurice

Does this count the 27 posts that aren’t about Lionel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I wonder how much of this is an ST thing, vs general disinterest in triathlon. There was a time when you could not even get into local races on race week, now most Ironmans you can get in on race week vs the 364 day ahead sellout. The price of gear has put a lot of the sport out of reach to 20 somethings.

In terms of page length it also depends how many posts you have the page set to. I have it set to 100.

It’s a self-inflicted wound a lot of the time too re: cost of participation. Folks with moderate experience will tell a newbie they NEED the $5k bike, $600 wetsuit, 5 pairs of shoes, etc. Everyone ignores entry level/alloy road and tri bikes, or the used market.

Just yesterday in my tri club, a woman was asking how she can connect to Zwift with her current trainer (an old school Cyclops fluid). A bunch of people jumped in telling her she needed to buy a Kickr, smart trainer, or power pedals. I finally jumped in to remind everyone that you can just use a $60 Bluetooth speed sensor and your phone if you’re just looking to get started.

So yeah - we do it to ourselves.

Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

No stat for this, but I may contend for the 'most lurking without posting' title (have been here since the beginning of the forum)

You were two months earlier than me on signup but I've several hundred less posts :)

I'd like to think of myself more of a sponge than a lurker - trying to soak up all the knowledge on here, which, I agree with some of the other posts, it seemed to be more prevalent in the early years.
Last edited by: TJ56: Dec 21, 23 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It appears there are around 15 people on that list that over the years have created 10% of the content on this forum (but hard to tell if most of the posts were directed to the 5M on the tri forum as I rarely go to the other forums, so just assuming we are contruting to the 5M....if not, we can say roughly 15 people contributed to 4-5% of the lifetime content).

In terms of posting, it is just like training. I have a general interest in doing this sport and socializing in the sport context. Literally in my day to day life I would have few endurance athletes in my immediate mix, but now having my own company several of my key team do sports of various kinds x: swimming, power lifting, running, tri, XC skiing, soccer....I think I end up attracting people like that to join in, so maybe I post a bit less about tri now, since I can talk about it with people I work with these day without them thinking I am an oddball.

fat tail distribution like that is super common, especially on the web. Wikipedia, for example, has what they term "super editors" - https://www.vice.com/...diversity-foundation

As far as volume, Slowtwitch is - in general - a fairly good barometer for the industry as a whole. The volume of posts correlates pretty strongly with overall participation. High water mark for triathlon was 2010 - 2012ish. Likewise for forum "volume." At the time, I think the forum had some pretty astonishing amounts of content in it. I think it was roughly equivalent to the Old Testament every 24H.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Who has the most posts can be found here
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...b=user_posts;so=DESC

It would be nice to be able to filter that in different ways.
On a very quick look at appears that Dev will take the top spot in the next few months, but windywave has nearly twice the posting rate so given a few more years could topple him.

So, if we use the 5 million figure, Dev has 1% of all the triathlon forum posts. That's amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, i figured it is a good barometer for general overall buzz in the sport and participation and engagement but it is hard for an outside like me to know as I don't see the stats other than races selling out or not, new races being launched or not, races going out of biz or not. I am just generally always engaged in some way in sport (racing, training, volunteering, mentoring, coaching youth etc). If I look at my local community there are sport lifers who have been part of all of this through their lives, the key is to recruit, onboard, and retain the next round of lifetime enthusiasts. It is pretty cool that at the dawn of the internet connecting people from around the world, Dan had the vision of creating this global connecting place of interests and information exchange and people gathering over the internet, which has stood the test for 2 decades in an activity itself that is pretty niche.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
It appears there are around 15 people on that list that over the years have created 10% of the content on this forum (but hard to tell if most of the posts were directed to the 5M on the tri forum as I rarely go to the other forums, so just assuming we are contributing to the 5M....if not, we can say roughly 15 people contributed to 4-5% of the lifetime content).

In terms of posting, it is just like training. I have a general interest in doing this sport and socializing in the sport context. Literally in my day to day life I would have few endurance athletes in my immediate mix, but now having my own company several of my key team do sports of various kinds x: swimming, power lifting, running, tri, XC skiing, soccer....I think I end up attracting people like that to join in, so maybe I post a bit less about tri now, since I can talk about it with people I work with these day without them thinking I am an oddball.

I've been in this situation for years. Right now, there is really only one other tri person that I can have training discussions with, and this person is, just by chance, a woman. We have 30-45 min discussions whenever we are at the pool at same time. So, the ST Tri Forum provides a great way to discuss training stuff with other motivated athletes. :)

I in a similar situation

There are approx 10 people in the neighborhood who do triathlons

9 of them show up at the neighborhood pool 2 weeks before a race. 1 does 2 or 3 days of training a week

Beside that they don’t do much training nor talk about triathlons or training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a quick PS, remember that this is also the second version of the forum. The first version was comparatively short lived, but still worth remembering there was a forum before this forum. As you - and only a few others (NOT me!) - will remember.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't that one when slowman did Triathlonlive.com before slowtwitch.com. From what I recall, it was about reporting the news and events/races, whereas he started ST to be a place to talk about endurance lifestyle (along the lines of your recent article of going computer/display less....if you recall when Lothar Leder did the first sub 8 at Roth he did it with no bike computer, no heart rate monitor, no watch, just feel and only was told with a few km to spare that he was on sub 8 pace....that was in 1996)
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm guessing 10 years for the 6 million mark?

Ron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, this was regular slowtwitch. Perhaps it predates even you. Khai Lee had the very first post on the new forum. Meaning this forum. Khai, gerard, and a few others were on the old one. Dan will have to tell us about the migration.

Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyways. Thank you all. Eric, Dan, Jordan, myself, and the rest of the ST team appreciates it.

Thank you back!

Those early years were fun - a form of Social Media before we even knew what it was!

FWIW - I have always tried to be civil! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

With new software additions each of us can see our total posts ... and pony up $! for each post we made to Slowtwitch .... $5 million ...

Scary thought!

PEARL is a higher level programming language, which allows comfortable, secure and almost processor independent programming of multitasking and real time solutions. It has been standardized since 1977 at various stages of its development.

Maybe Elon will buy Slowtwitch and make some changes ..... NOT!

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next