Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5 millionth post on tri forum
Quote | Reply
Did I get it? As of right now we are at 4999998.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Cheers,
Maurice

Looks like it. I was just about to post this.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you are seeing the total count, but good catch! You've built quite the place for us triathletes, Slowman. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, nope it's you.

Been here 10 years, I remember back then it was a little more "rough and tumble". Some people say that it's a bit more discourteous around here now.

In a relative sense I find it much more polite and respectful currently.

Happy 5 million slowtwitch!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Haha, nope it's you.

Been here 10 years, I remember back then it was a little more "rough and tumble". Some people say that it's a bit more discourteous around here now.

Happy 5 million slowtwitch!

Maurice

P*** off... Want a bouquet or something?
(Sorry I couldn't resist!!) lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Cheers,
Maurice

Where did you find this info???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The crowd is definetly nicer to people whose first language is not English.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) Yes, we're over 5 million posts in this forum. Something like 12 million across all of our forums. Thank you to all for your contributions.

2.) I think we're certainly more civil than we used to be, in part because we've been slightly more active on asking people to be more polite in their interactions. That's probably cost us a couple contributors over the years, but I'd rather have people feel like they can take a chance on posting something without someone immediately yelling at them that "this is a topic that has already been posted about, use the search bar." There used to be trial by fire to be a long-term member around here.

Anyways. Thank you all. Eric, Dan, Jordan, myself, and the rest of the ST team appreciates it.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think itā€™s more civil now than it used to be. Unfortunately, we lost a lot of really smart people who used to post but donā€™t anymore. There used to be a wealth of information on here but now it seems you really have to look for it. Thereā€™s still some smart people that post here but itā€™s inconsistent and only on certain topics. I can also understand that they donā€™t want to give out information for free.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
1.) Yes, we're over 5 million posts in this forum. Something like 12 million across all of our forums. Thank you to all for your contributions.

2.) I think we're certainly more civil than we used to be, in part because we've been slightly more active on asking people to be more polite in their interactions. That's probably cost us a couple contributors over the years, but I'd rather have people feel like they can take a chance on posting something without someone immediately yelling at them that "this is a topic that has already been posted about, use the search bar." There used to be trial by fire to be a long-term member around here.

Anyways. Thank you all. Eric, Dan, Jordan, myself, and the rest of the ST team appreciates it.

Any stats on the number of posts per year or per month over the years ?
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a forum I used to belong to - long dead now - which had a dashboard where you could see which threads had the most posts (as we do) but also which threads had the most members posting in them

You could also see how many posts a member had (as we do) but also which threads they posted in most often

Not like we'd need that here; just more data points to snoop on LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
There was a forum I used to belong to - long dead now - which had a dashboard where you could see which threads had the most posts (as we do) but also which threads had the most members posting in them

You could also see how many posts a member had (as we do) but also which threads they posted in most often

I use a very unscientific metric : how long it takes a thread to scroll off page 1.

A "long" number of days means post volume is low. These days, it's about 4 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

Congratulations.

I would love to see how long between each milestone. I am guessing it took less time to get from 6 million to 7 million than it took to get from 11 million to 12 million. It seems things remain on the first page of the forum longer than they used to. Care to share?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTFU......šŸ˜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first post I could find was Dan's welcome post on December 18, 2002. I joined December 22, 2002.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...C;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For people wondering, you can find the total thread / post count by forum at the directory page - https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/

I could pull some numbers on frequency and such if we can come up with a basic list.

The thing that the forum always makes me appreciate is "old tech."

The underlying forum software is essentially unchanged in 20 years. It was written back when you couldn't make a lot of assumptions about bandwidth or memory. And code had to be performant. Perl is a very good language. The forum is extremely fast, especially on modern hardware.

Really the biggest change we made was to the CSS - to make it adaptive so it works a lot better on mobile. But that's front end. Nothing really in the server architecture has changed.

There are some "niceties" that I'd like to add in the next couple of years, but mostly I just appreciate how lightweight and fast the architecture is. It's VERY good.

I've had some people approach us about "modernizing" the forum's tech stack. I'm generally like, "thanks but no thanks..."

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Who has the most posts can be found here
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...b=user_posts;so=DESC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

It would be nice to be able to filter that in different ways.
On a very quick look at appears that Dev will take the top spot in the next few months, but windywave has nearly twice the posting rate so given a few more years could topple him.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [mauricemaher & rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

Less information with less depth per topic on the whole, at least imo. I have my forum page set to 90 posts per page. In the way back past it often took a post <24 hours to roll to page 2. Now it takes 4-5d. If you wanted to stay up to date on some of the threads you had to check in multiple times per day in order to not have to read 8-15+ posts. Now you can check in once every 24-48h and stay up to date.

rrheisler wrote:

I think we're certainly more civil than we used to be, in part because we've been slightly more active on asking people to be more polite in their interactions. That's probably cost us a couple contributors over the years, but I'd rather have people feel like they can take a chance on posting something without someone immediately yelling at them that "this is a topic that has already been posted about, use the search bar.

Dang, tell people for a few years to use the search engine because they asked if they should ride a disc and you never live it down! The search thing isn't that hard to use if you know what you're looking for imo.

Some of the smartest people in the world in their academic /athletic fields got booted off for being fiery and/or snarky in their replies while some of the best posters left/got driven off by people who wanted to argue from a position of ignorant bliss. Remember the guy who told Chris Boardman he didn't know anything about time trialing or professional bike racing?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The LR shouldnā€™t count

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much of this is an ST thing, vs general disinterest in triathlon. There was a time when you could not even get into local races on race week, now most Ironmans you can get in on race week vs the 364 day ahead sellout. The price of gear has put a lot of the sport out of reach to 20 somethings.

In terms of page length it also depends how many posts you have the page set to. I have it set to 100.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears there are around 15 people on that list that over the years have created 10% of the content on this forum (but hard to tell if most of the posts were directed to the 5M on the tri forum as I rarely go to the other forums, so just assuming we are contruting to the 5M....if not, we can say roughly 15 people contributed to 4-5% of the lifetime content).

In terms of posting, it is just like training. I have a general interest in doing this sport and socializing in the sport context. Literally in my day to day life I would have few endurance athletes in my immediate mix, but now having my own company several of my key team do sports of various kinds x: swimming, power lifting, running, tri, XC skiing, soccer....I think I end up attracting people like that to join in, so maybe I post a bit less about tri now, since I can talk about it with people I work with these day without them thinking I am an oddball.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The search engine and also searching through google site works plenty fine - have to have even fewer brain cells than me if you can't figure it out and that is from some bogan red neck aussie levels.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
jaretj wrote:

It would be nice to be able to filter that in different ways.
On a very quick look at appears that Dev will take the top spot in the next few months, but windywave has nearly twice the posting rate so given a few more years could topple him.

No stat for this, but I may contend for the 'most lurking without posting' title (have been here since the beginning of the forum)
Quote Reply
Re: 5 millionth post on tri forum [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It appears there are around 15 people on that list that over the years have created 10% of the content on this forum (but hard to tell if most of the posts were directed to the 5M on the tri forum as I rarely go to the other forums, so just assuming we are contributing to the 5M....if not, we can say roughly 15 people contributed to 4-5% of the lifetime content).

In terms of posting, it is just like training. I have a general interest in doing this sport and socializing in the sport context. Literally in my day to day life I would have few endurance athletes in my immediate mix, but now having my own company several of my key team do sports of various kinds x: swimming, power lifting, running, tri, XC skiing, soccer....I think I end up attracting people like that to join in, so maybe I post a bit less about tri now, since I can talk about it with people I work with these day without them thinking I am an oddball.

I've been in this situation for years. Right now, there is really only one other tri person that I can have training discussions with, and this person is, just by chance, a woman. We have 30-45 min discussions whenever we are at the pool at same time. So, the ST Tri Forum provides a great way to discuss training stuff with other motivated athletes. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next