Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I were there supporting one of her teammates. I've never done a Clash-branded race, but I will 100% be there next year. It looked like a stupid fast course.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a Leafs fan, I have no love for the Bruins or the Sens. Chara is 100% a legend and was a dominant defenseman, he'll surely end up in the HOF. I can't fathom the argument at any knowledgeable hockey fan wouldn't think he was that special. He was an absolute force on the ice and a great leader on the team. He might have only won the Norris once but he was in the conversation a lot - having your career overlap with Nik Lidstrom doesn't do you any favours there.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dre wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
When he played locally for the Ottawa Senators him and bunch of the team would ride road bikes a lot so that makes sense. at 235 lbs that is a great time. In 2004 when Lance was winning the ITT up Alpe d'Huez Chara and a bunch of Senators were out there riding the big cols. I think he had a pretty credible time too and it was when he was 27 not 46!!!

Dev,
He was not riding Alpe d'Huez with the Sens in 2004...it was with me. The 2 of us went together both in 2003 and 2004 but I don't have a ton of good pics as those were the old film days when you had 24 shots in the camera in your back pocket and hoped the pictures turned out when you got home to get them developed.

He is someone I've known for 25yrs and an old family friend. You guys can debate the hockey aspect, but if you know anyone who played NHL in that era, he is 100% one of the most respected leaders in the league. I have little doubt he'll be HOF and little doubt that Boston will add #33 to the rafters. Glad he is in our sport now!

Was he with other Sens on Galibier or Croix de Fer around that weekend when Lance did the TT against Jan on Alpe? I swear I met 3 of them on one of those three mountains.

In any case, I am more interested in his 30 pull ups ability. If he can do 30 pull ups and has the engine to run sub 1:40 half marathon at his weight, he should easily get to a low 30 min swim soon. Being a future hall of fame defencemen (the rest of the guys can debate that he's not an all time great), he would also have sufficient hip and spinal mobility to get the core rotation right so my guess is he is swimming fairly flat. The guy should otherwise turn into a speedboat rotated onto his side in free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dre wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
When he played locally for the Ottawa Senators him and bunch of the team would ride road bikes a lot so that makes sense. at 235 lbs that is a great time. In 2004 when Lance was winning the ITT up Alpe d'Huez Chara and a bunch of Senators were out there riding the big cols. I think he had a pretty credible time too and it was when he was 27 not 46!!!

Dev,
He was not riding Alpe d'Huez with the Sens in 2004...it was with me. The 2 of us went together both in 2003 and 2004 but I don't have a ton of good pics as those were the old film days when you had 24 shots in the camera in your back pocket and hoped the pictures turned out when you got home to get them developed.

He is someone I've known for 25yrs and an old family friend. You guys can debate the hockey aspect, but if you know anyone who played NHL in that era, he is 100% one of the most respected leaders in the league. I have little doubt he'll be HOF and little doubt that Boston will add #33 to the rafters. Glad he is in our sport now!

What I want to know is what kind of power a unit like that is pushing ;)
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Waingro wrote:
As a Slovak, he is great friends with Peter Sagan. He’s been a cycling nut for years. Also a legendary workout guy—could do something like 30 pulls-ups in his prime. Has done a handful of marathons this year in good times.

An awesome force as a D-man. Second best Bruin defenseman of all time (after Bobby Orr, duh).

Ray Borque would like a word.

You are absolutely correct. My bad

But it was “Bourque”
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:
30 pull-ups at 6’9” is really impressive to me.

30 pullups at 235 lbs is insane. The 6'5" leverage of long arms is helpful, but

You got on the right path but went the wrong way.

Longer levers hurt lifting, and it makes the pull-ups more impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

I was looking at it as forcexdistancexomega = work through a rotational frame (where omega is the angle that we work through). The entire lats/back are apply the same force connected through the arm, and with a longer lever (like pushing the outside of a door) you can achieve more work with the same force, or you use a lower force through longer distance. The aggregate work he has to do over 30 pullups is more, but he can do it with less force applied because of the longer arm ? Isn't this why it is an advantage to have longer arms for climbing? And chimps with long arms have a climbing advantage?

I have a 6'3" wingspan on a 5'6" body and always kicked ass on pull up/climbing stuff. I always thought it was an advantage not a disadvantage" On bench press for sure it is a disadvantage as there is no rotational aspect. It is a straight push.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This is our post event highlight real and is a pretty goo overview of our weekend. Zee made the highlight show :-)

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Last edited by: rrheisler: Dec 8, 23 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1: go to YouTube.
Step 2: Hit share.
Step 3: copy that shortened link.
Step 4: paste in your post here.

We auto-pull that through as an embed. Note: assumes that the person viewing turned their cookies on, otherwise we can't serve third party scripts.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Last edited by: rrheisler: Dec 8, 23 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I used to be able to see the embedded links from YouTube but no more and I have cookies turned on

any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Browser? Using an ad blocker?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

I was looking at it as forcexdistancexomega = work through a rotational frame (where omega is the angle that we work through). The entire lats/back are apply the same force connected through the arm, and with a longer lever (like pushing the outside of a door) you can achieve more work with the same force, or you use a lower force through longer distance. The aggregate work he has to do over 30 pullups is more, but he can do it with less force applied because of the longer arm ? Isn't this why it is an advantage to have longer arms for climbing? And chimps with long arms have a climbing advantage?

I have a 6'3" wingspan on a 5'6" body and always kicked ass on pull up/climbing stuff. I always thought it was an advantage not a disadvantage" On bench press for sure it is a disadvantage as there is no rotational aspect. It is a straight push.

I don't know about harder or easier but clearly it requires more work/energy to lift a 235 pound body 36 inches than 30 inches. So if my arms are 36 inches long and yours are 30 inches long, if we both weigh the same and do a full pull-up, I am doing more work--right?

Am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
As a Slovak, he is great friends with Peter Sagan. He’s been a cycling nut for years. Also a legendary workout guy—could do something like 30 pulls-ups in his prime. Has done a handful of marathons this year in good times.

An awesome force as a D-man. Second best Bruin defenseman of all time (after Bobby Orr, duh).

I think both his parents were Olympians, in wrestling and gymnastics I believe. Seems like he won the genetic lottery. The dude was an absolute force in the NHL for years. As a Canucks fan, I hated him after 2011, haha.

One year I was in a race and a local Olympian heavyweight rower passed me on the bike. The dude was around 6'6", 230lbs and absolutely jacked. No problem, I'll out run him, I thought. Nope. He beat me on the run too.

Elite athletes are pretty awe inspiring in their capabilities.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chara is an incredible athlete. I believe he still holds the NHL record for fastest slap shot - - done in the skills competition at the All-Star game. Tough as nails, played with broken jaw in last three games of 2019 Stanley Cup finals. Supreme team leader and great community guy in his years with Bruins. We’re honored to have him in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I think both his parents were Olympians, in wrestling and gymnastics I believe. Seems like he won the genetic lottery. The dude was an absolute force in the NHL for years. As a Canucks fan, I hated him after 2011, haha.

One year I was in a race and a local Olympian heavyweight rower passed me on the bike. The dude was around 6'6", 230lbs and absolutely jacked. No problem, I'll out run him, I thought. Nope. He beat me on the run too.

Elite athletes are pretty awe inspiring in their capabilities.

Zee's dad was a greco-roman wrestler and national team coach in that sport in Slovakia. He made young Zee do some crazy workouts in the backyard. Pull-ups, squats, and all other basic bodyweight exercises in high volume and frequency.

The one he told me about that stuck out was the stick handing strength training. Small sheet of ice in the backyard, hockey stick shaft added into a bucket of concrete. Once hardened he had a 50lbs weighted hockey stick to strengthen his stick movements. This was as a pre-teen / teen.

Keep in mind he left home at 19 to move over to Canada and start in the minors. Move half way across the world, don't speak the language, and commit 100% to living and playing hockey. The mental fortitude as a 19yr old to do that is impressive in and of itself.

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you are correct about more vertical work, but you only lift the body half the lever length (you lift it length of Humerous sp?) but for the leverage you have length of both ulna and humerous to use, so in the rotational context, my understand is you end up with a slight advantage. For push ups, yes, short stubby arms are key as there is no rotation and you have to move body the distance of the entire arm, not half of it like pull ups
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
If he goes to the hall of fame I'd say that says more about the lowering criteria to get in there and the heavy emphasis on "culture of personality" now. (Hardest slap shot contest should certainly not be a criteria) as they say in golf: drive for show, putt for dough

There us a reason he only wonthe Paul Norris trophy once. He simply wasn't a well rounded defenseman.
People get real passionate around the Boston, but an objective, knowledgeable hockey fan would not regonize him as an all time great

6 time all star, Stanley cup champion, NHL all decade team. Yeah, it’s definitely lowering standards that will make him a first ballot.
Man people are dumb these days.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Dre, how were the participation numbers this year with no pro field?
I want to let you know that if the 3,300 or so people who raced 90% don’t even realize that professional triathlete is a job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dre - That is very cool! Great job with Clash Daytona this year. Sounds like it was a fantastic race. Z
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Dre - That is very cool! Great job with Clash Daytona this year. Sounds like it was a fantastic race. Z

Thanks Z...I learned from the best! Thanks again for all the help back in the day

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang. If bike brands can make 7 sizes, maybe it's time we introduce a third road wheel size for big bikes. Looks like he's riding on 20"!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great publicity for the sport but sub-10 after 5:0x @ Daytona? He should ride close to 5 hours.
Quote Reply

Prev Next