Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona
Quote | Reply

at 6'9" and 235lbs he crushed it! 5:03:45 and Swim 41:00, Bike 2:32:05, Run 1:42:45

How did all the other STers enjoy the event? We were 3,400+ athletes registered across all the events of the weekend and hope we put on a good show!

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be interesting to see pics of him on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dre, how were the participation numbers this year with no pro field?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:

No pics but he blew by me on the bike looking strong lol.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:

I was one of the guys in charge of transition and while I don't have a pic of him on the bike, I will say that both of his wheels pretty much touched the ground while the bike was racked! To make it even funnier, his training partner is Becca Pizzi, who is 5' or so. Spent quite a bit of time talking to both of them and they were incredibly nice, even if I did fanboy out a bit getting to meet Big Z!
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Dre, how were the participation numbers this year with no pro field?

Across all events we were up about 12%! 3,394 all in!!!

Reg numbers were
Friday
Jingle Jog 1,203

Saturday
- Two start times for sprint tri/du/relay = 894
- Kids Tri = 94
- Bike only events (Test Track and Redline Relay) = 283

Sunday
- USAT Long Course Nationals Tri/Du/Aquabike/Relay = 920

We really focused on the age groupers and their experience and I think it showed.

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likely a first ballot Hockey Hall of Famer in a few years when he's eligible.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can swim faster than him.....wooo hoo!

(it's probably the only thing I can do better than him)
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a Slovak, he is great friends with Peter Sagan. He’s been a cycling nut for years. Also a legendary workout guy—could do something like 30 pulls-ups in his prime. Has done a handful of marathons this year in good times.

An awesome force as a D-man. Second best Bruin defenseman of all time (after Bobby Orr, duh).
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
As a Slovak, he is great friends with Peter Sagan. He’s been a cycling nut for years. Also a legendary workout guy—could do something like 30 pulls-ups in his prime. Has done a handful of marathons this year in good times.

An awesome force as a D-man. Second best Bruin defenseman of all time (after Bobby Orr, duh).

Ray Borque would like a word.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you really consider Chara a "legend" ? Outside of Boston I think your typical hockey fan wouldn't even know his name.
Real hockey people will recognize him as a strong defender, but certainly not someone who would be up there with the absolute greats.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's definitely going to the HoF. All-time leader in games played, multiple winner of hardest slapshot in the league, an absolute beast in his prime years when he was in a bad mood. And he captained the Bruins to a Stanley Cup, which Bourque sadly could not do. As a Montreal fan, I hated the guy from the day he showed up in Ottawa, and considered whether or not he ought to be thrown in jail for the Pacioretty incident, but man was he good.

Plus he was an element in one of the worst Islanders' trades in history (for Yashin), and that's saying something.

I'm thrilled that he's racing tris, and would also love to see his bike.

Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 pull-ups at 6’9” is really impressive to me.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RD, I thought that the race was incredible - super-well organized, super-positive volunteers, sensational setting. My sole complaint is that I think that the podium winners on Sunday - the national championship races - should have received national championship medals as has been in every USTA national championship ever until this race. The helmets are cool, but they are not national championship caliber awards. I hope that is changed for next year. Many thanks for a sensational weekend!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When he played locally for the Ottawa Senators him and bunch of the team would ride road bikes a lot so that makes sense. at 235 lbs that is a great time. In 2004 when Lance was winning the ITT up Alpe d'Huez Chara and a bunch of Senators were out there riding the big cols. I think he had a pretty credible time too and it was when he was 27 not 46!!!
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
30 pull-ups at 6’9” is really impressive to me.

30 pullups at 235 lbs is insane. The 6'5" leverage of long arms is helpful, but I think Michael Phelps around half a foot shorter and 40 bls lighter ONLY did 28. That's saying something for the guy who for some time had many butterfly world records (and in effect the 100 fly is a pull up and core strength-endurance contest) so we could say doing pulls ups WAS Phelps main event on dryland, and for Zdeno it was just a side show.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he goes to the hall of fame I'd say that says more about the lowering criteria to get in there and the heavy emphasis on "culture of personality" now. (Hardest slap shot contest should certainly not be a criteria) as they say in golf: drive for show, putt for dough

There us a reason he only wonthe Paul Norris trophy once. He simply wasn't a well rounded defenseman.
People get real passionate around the Boston, but an objective, knowledgeable hockey fan would not regonize him as an all time great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

From one Slovak to another Na zdravie!

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [SpeedCouture] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedCouture wrote:
RD, I thought that the race was incredible - super-well organized, super-positive volunteers, sensational setting. My sole complaint is that I think that the podium winners on Sunday - the national championship races - should have received national championship medals as has been in every USTA national championship ever until this race. The helmets are cool, but they are not national championship caliber awards. I hope that is changed for next year. Many thanks for a sensational weekend!!

For sure something we'll work through with USAT. Miss on our part and luckily easy to fix for 2024. The helmets are something we have always done with our roots in NASCAR. Those are not going away as they athletes have been very clear they LOVE them. We can add medals for Nats podiums in addition to our helmets. We had one design for sprint and added the Nats logo for Sunday.

Thanks for the tip to improve in a positive manner and I expect to see you in 2024?

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel like this should have gotten more coverage!

Very impressed with his run -- weather was gross with a 70+ dew point. Easily a sub-1:40 effort. Maybe down to 1:35ish, depending on how he paced it.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
When he played locally for the Ottawa Senators him and bunch of the team would ride road bikes a lot so that makes sense. at 235 lbs that is a great time. In 2004 when Lance was winning the ITT up Alpe d'Huez Chara and a bunch of Senators were out there riding the big cols. I think he had a pretty credible time too and it was when he was 27 not 46!!!

Dev,
He was not riding Alpe d'Huez with the Sens in 2004...it was with me. The 2 of us went together both in 2003 and 2004 but I don't have a ton of good pics as those were the old film days when you had 24 shots in the camera in your back pocket and hoped the pictures turned out when you got home to get them developed.

He is someone I've known for 25yrs and an old family friend. You guys can debate the hockey aspect, but if you know anyone who played NHL in that era, he is 100% one of the most respected leaders in the league. I have little doubt he'll be HOF and little doubt that Boston will add #33 to the rafters. Glad he is in our sport now!

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

and we were so lucky to have Vic in from USAT. CEO and a lifelong industry event ops person who is doing great work at USAT. We both worked together on the 2012 IRONMAN NYC which is regarded by many in the industry as the hardest event ever to pull off. Multiple staffers pulling 40+hrs on literally no sleep. The good ole days!

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think the long arms make pull-ups more challenging, like bench press. More distance to travel.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Legend #33 Zdeno Chara crushes Clash Endurance Daytona [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
If he goes to the hall of fame I'd say that says more about the lowering criteria to get in there and the heavy emphasis on "culture of personality" now. (Hardest slap shot contest should certainly not be a criteria) as they say in golf: drive for show, putt for dough

There us a reason he only wonthe Paul Norris trophy once. He simply wasn't a well rounded defenseman.
People get real passionate around the Boston, but an objective, knowledgeable hockey fan would not regonize him as an all time great

I hate to derail this thread even further, as I think it's great that we're talking about Chara and that he has takin a liking to triathlons. It's always great to have "famous" people in the sport to help it grow. But I do need to chime in about your comments that the everyday hockey fan would not recognize him as a great.

I don't think you're giving him the credit he deserves. Chara was an absolute force in his prime (which lasted for about 14 of his 24-season career).
He was feared on defense, he could clear the net as good as anyone, and was rarely beaten in the corners. Who wouldn't want a 6'9' beast protecting their end. He could PK, go on the PP, was out there in the last minute down by 1 and he could fight. Not sure how much mroe well rounded you can get.

Offensively, 1680 GP's, 209 goals, 471 apples for a .41 PPG and a career +301 = HOF numbers.
The hall committee looks at longevity, leadership and hardware.
1 Cup
1 Norris
1 Mark Messier leadership award
1 Silver at 2000 Worlds
The man's a first ballot HOF every time.

As for the "legend" comment. I believe that is partial to geography. He is definitely a legend in the NE part of the country and most of Canada.
He did tons of work in the community wherever he played and donated a lot to many charities throughout his career.

I know everyone has their own opinion and I appreciate that, but when it comes to numbers and stats, they don't lie.

Hope to race against him one day.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I would think the long arms make pull-ups more challenging, like bench press. More distance to travel.

Can you imagine how high his chin up bar has to be off the ground? Maybe 12 feet high?
Quote Reply

Prev Next