Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrt "the increased pro field size and quality here was so that they could get a next year worlds spot" I suggest you're wrong. The Pro fields' sizes had zero to do with Taupo: it's just a good race before Christmas. As to quality, there was a (successful) Viking raiding party and (I think) they all got Taupo slots.//

In one breath you tell me I'm wrong, then in the next one give an example why I was right...Of course the Norgs came for the slots in worlds(the men) and they got them. They are not coming here for anything else, even the little money was not really an incentive, just a little bonus along with getting the sought after slots. And no doubt there were a few more in the fields with that goal in mind, but just those that are at the point end, and that end was stacked. Others did do the race for racing sake, like Sam and a few others who specialize in this distance. So the size of field was just lightly influenced, but quality was much more so at the pointy end...

For those guys that did get the slots this early in the cycle, gives them a lot more flexibility now for their crossover seasons. Crap the bed in ITU and you have an off ramp to the ironman series, as well as the 100k series. But that ironman one is going to be really, really tight I'm guessing, and guys will need those WC starts to get the bonus points to set themselves apart from the masses who will be going for the 200k...
Quote Reply
Re: [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
CaliB wrote:
Pretty good job by Mikal Iden! I believe he's coaching most of the Norwegians on the podium and he also won his age group.

Great work all around for Mikal and his team.

I believe that he is dating Jess Belcher as well (she does everything with him and travels with the Norwegians a lot) and so...fun little fact - one of my athletes beat her in women's OA AG race to keep it from a full Norwegian sweep (yes...she's American but...)

Pretty great day out there - the Norwegians really were crushing the bike today...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:
CaliB wrote:
Pretty good job by Mikal Iden! I believe he's coaching most of the Norwegians on the podium and he also won his age group.
Mikal's time would have put him ahead of about 20 Pros, and 30 minutes ahead of Ari Klau. And that was without him being challenged or pushed.
Some of these guys are Pros in name only
Especially in America where Pro licenc(s)es are given out like Haribo.
There needs to be a requal system after a year with a licence, even if the initial qualification is 'easy'. These guys are just doing this for a cheap way to enter more than 2 IM branded races a year.
In the women's race, the top amateur (Brittani Shappell with 4:20) would have come #5 in WPRO behind Smith (ack bike environment/slip-streaming different). 20 WPRO finished.
Separately I was v surprised to see Lovseth swim so slow. How can she possibly be competitive in short course? She and Miller are uber-bikers but unfortunately are off the pace running 10km, let alone 5km.
Upthread it's said that Lovseth has a 1:14 half PB. Which is very decent in the middle/long course WPRO community - a SBR to get into top 10 in PTO races. But she's locked into Paris, in particular to the Norge MTR team with Blummenfelt and a tbd (Iden/Stornes/Thorn). And NTF will be desperate to keep her short course.

I was wondering this too! Some of the slower men arr 1h+ behind winner, total age group territory!

I guess it looks good on instagram to call yourself pro.

Correct, the last place Women's pro went 5:01 which was a 7 minute PB for her. Not sure how on earth someone who's never broken 5:00 gets to call themselves a pro. Yet she's one of the larger IG triathletes. It boggles the mind.
Quote Reply
Re: [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Wrt "the increased pro field size and quality here was so that they could get a next year worlds spot" I suggest you're wrong. The Pro fields' sizes had zero to do with Taupo: it's just a good race before Christmas. As to quality, there was a (successful) Viking raiding party and (I think) they all got Taupo slots.//

In one breath you tell me I'm wrong, then in the next one give an example why I was right...Of course the Norgs came for the slots in worlds(the men) and they got them. They are not coming here for anything else, even the little money was not really an incentive, just a little bonus along with getting the sought after slots. And no doubt there were a few more in the fields with that goal in mind, but just those that are at the point end, and that end was stacked. Others did do the race for racing sake, like Sam and a few others who specialize in this distance. So the size of field was just lightly influenced, but quality was much more so at the pointy end...

For those guys that did get the slots this early in the cycle, gives them a lot more flexibility now for their crossover seasons. Crap the bed in ITU and you have an off ramp to the ironman series, as well as the 100k series. But that ironman one is going to be really, really tight I'm guessing, and guys will need those WC starts to get the bonus points to set themselves apart from the masses who will be going for the 200k...
In one breath you tell me I'm wrong you're wrong, and then acknowledge that I was right.
I said: "The Pro fields' sizes had zero to do with Taupo" and you almost agreed: "The size of field was just lightly influenced" by the chance of getting a 2024 "worlds spot". Nope. Only the front end had any such motivation: had zero to do with "pro field size" men or women.
Quality "at the pointy end"? Agree: if it had been a challenge/clash race the Norges would've gone elsewhere, but the 70.3s in USA are easy pickings cf the alternative of Bahrain, for example.
None of these Norges are going to be the slightest bit interested in the IM Series (no "off ramp": the IM Series boat is long gone come 6 August.) After Paris they can work their way towards Taupo (for a good thrashing by world standard athletes). No athlete without at least one IM plus the IMWC will make top 10 in the IM Series. The Vikings just want to race Taupo because it's 'the' de facto MD WC.

Is there a 100k series (as you put it)? I guess there a chance these winners might get a wild card to Ibiza when PTO are scrabbling for participants.

Quote Reply
Re: [hrossh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hrossh wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:
CaliB wrote:
Mikal's time would have put him ahead of about 20 Pros, and 30 minutes ahead of Ari Klau. And that was without him being challenged or pushed.
Some of these guys are Pros in name only
Especially in America where Pro licenc(s)es are given out like Haribo.
There needs to be a requal system after a year with a licence, even if the initial qualification is 'easy'. These guys are just doing this for a cheap way to enter more than 2 IM branded races a year.
In the women's race, the top amateur (Brittani Shappell with 4:20) would have come #5 in WPRO behind Smith (ack bike environment/slip-streaming different). 20 WPRO finished.
Separately I was v surprised to see Lovseth swim so slow. How can she possibly be competitive in short course? She and Miller are uber-bikers but unfortunately are off the pace running 10km, let alone 5km.
Upthread it's said that Lovseth has a 1:14 half PB. Which is very decent in the middle/long course WPRO community - a SBR to get into top 10 in PTO races. But she's locked into Paris, in particular to the Norge MTR team with Blummenfelt and a tbd (Iden/Stornes/Thorn). And NTF will be desperate to keep her short course.

I was wondering this too! Some of the slower men arr 1h+ behind winner, total age group territory!

I guess it looks good on instagram to call yourself pro.

Correct, the last place Women's pro went 5:01 which was a 7 minute PB for her. Not sure how on earth someone who's never broken 5:00 gets to call themselves a pro. Yet she's one of the larger IG triathletes. It boggles the mind.

Well at least name names and give us a link.
https://www.instagram.com/la_triathlete/?hl=en

Her IG profile is mostly playful tiktok type stuff, so that's why she has a following. She's obviously talented as far as general triathlon population goes, but not a contending pro. Still, from my perspective if the stars lined up and I earned a pro card and could race back of pack pro, I'd jump on it in a heart beat given the current offer. Pay a licensing fee and then get free entry and various pro priority treatment? Absolutely. I don't think she's out there hyping herself up as a pro caliber athlete all over the place. If anything a lot of her content seems to not take herself too seriously. Does anyone know how she qualified?
Quote Reply
Re: [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone bitching about the "to many pro's" that peaked 10 years ago when USAT had 7 different "loopholes" that athletes could find. Now it's basically finish top 3 at a prize purse race 3x in 1 year (so basically all IM events with pro purses). Now that may still be too many opportunities but I actually think 1/2 the athletes who "qualify" don't even take the pro card anymore. The DL pathway is basically finish top 3 at an DL specific "EDR" event.

It actually looks better on IG to NOT take the pro card and keep beast mode AG races and proclaim your "win" as a race win, etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 6, 23 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
monty wrote:
I was wondering this too! Some of the slower men arr 1h+ behind winner, total age group territory! //

Here is what chaps my hide when talking about pros that have a mechanical, are injured but race anyway, or just having a plain bad day and pull the plug early but still finish. If they quit the race, most bag on them for quitting(even thought that is the smart thing to do, live to fight another day), but when the limp home, you all use that time and place to compare to AG'ers that had a great day. Can't have it both ways folks, either they are smart and quit bad races for whatever reason, or they finish and you then cannot use that time and place as a comparison against AG'ers....
And correct me if I"m wrong here, but the increased pro field size and quality here was so that they could get a next year worlds spot? You know, the one that is going to give bonus points for the new Ironman series? A race you have to qualify for??
Pseudo Pros can't use the "had a mechanical, am injured but racing anyway, or having a bad day and pull the plug early but still finish" excuse again and again. I sha'n't trawl through but most of the slow third of both fields (M&W USA) have history of this level of performance. Give athletes a chance but they should have to consummate that in their first year.
Wrt "the increased pro field size and quality here was so that they could get a next year worlds spot" I suggest you're wrong. The Pro fields' sizes had zero to do with Taupo: it's just a good race before Christmas. As to quality, there was a (successful) Viking raiding party and (I think) they all got Taupo slots. They could come to race in California in their easy not-off-season without prejudice to Paris prep and look forward to Taupo in 12 months (maybe get to PTO Tour Ibiza as well).
The Taupo qualification period finishes on 30 June (don't quite understand why so early for a December race).
https://files.constantcontact.com/...a14-689124e00d3a.pdf
#2 #3 #4 in WPRO all already had their Taupo slot: the SOF was low. Most of the US athletes in the first 10 had Taupo slots already (so they weren't motivated for the reason you describe).
Any athlete who seriously think they can finish top 10 in the IM Series aren't going to have trouble qualifying for either Taupo or Nice/Kona. The IM Series reward for #11-#50 is $5,000: which can subsidise their travel expenses to their chosen 5 races. This 'initiative' is focused on a very similar set (top 20 men and women) as those who would've expected to to sign PTO contracts.

Ajax -- you gotta find a little more balance here. You're right about why Indian Wells is so popular. It's similar to Oceanside as the start to the NA season. This is the last big race of the year. You get good competition. You get good weather. Good place to go and see where you stack up. Obviously some short course athletes showed up so that they don't have to pencil in another 70.3 before the Olympics.

But nobody finished an hour after the winner except the last place MPro who blew up on the run to a 2:16. There's significant drop off in the MPro field after 4:0x. Take a guy like Ari who had an off day but qualified for 70.3 Worlds in his last race. It happens. Most of the pro field came to race & test themselves. Maybe folks aren't impressed by mid-pack pros or pros finishing in the last 1/3 because there are some AGers hitting the same times but not turning pro. Those people should turn pro. The qualification system in place is fair. It's not just a walk in the park to hit the standard. Saying that the last 1/3 has a history of finishing in those times is disrespectful. You want them back to winning AG races & taking Worlds slots from amateurs who can't train as much as they do? Some people aren't super talented but can get up to that ~4hr to 4:10 shape with a lot of hard work. Large fields are a good thing. More pros paying their Ironman dues. This isn't a track race. Long course racing can accommodate these field sizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like she got in through an elite qualifying race (I think LA) based on race results. I don't think anyone should be anonymously calling her out but it does look like an outlier. Usually the elite criteria do a decent job at lining up. The pro score rating is 106.2198 (hit it twice to become a pro). It usually takes well over that at AG Nats & at elite qualifying races to finish in those slots. So most people who hit the score rating at one of those races likely have to do it again because maybe they finished 10th but still scored high enough. This looks like a rare case where the amateur field didn't show up & the top-3 wouldn't have been able to get their license through the other criteria. But this doesn't affect me and I don't blame them at all. There are times when USAT score ratings are low across the board and at some races they're super high. It doesn't always make perfect sense. She grabbed a PR at this race and can swim/bike well enough to finish mid pack in the future. Put in a big run block and then people on here won't be able to talk about you. This is USAT letting someone use the standard to try and develop with increased competition. She is PRing. Now work on the run & prove that you belong. All good.
Quote Reply
Re: [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Pseudo Pros can't use the "had a mechanical, am injured but racing anyway, or having a bad day and pull the plug early but still finish" excuse again and again. I sha'n't trawl through but most of the slow third of both fields (M&W USA) have history of this level of performance. Give athletes a chance but they should have to consummate that in their first year.
Ajax -- you gotta find a little more balance here.

But nobody finished an hour after the winner except the last place MPro who blew up on the run to a 2:16. There's significant drop off in the MPro field after 4:0x. Take a guy like Ari who had an off day but qualified for 70.3 Worlds in his last race. It happens. Most of the pro field came to race & test themselves. Maybe folks aren't impressed by mid-pack pros or pros finishing in the last 1/3 because there are some AGers hitting the same times but not turning pro. Those people should turn pro. The qualification system in place is fair. It's not just a walk in the park to hit the standard. Saying that the last 1/3 has a history of finishing in those times is disrespectful. You want them back to winning AG races & taking Worlds slots from amateurs who can't train as much as they do? Some people aren't super talented but can get up to that ~4hr to 4:10 shape with a lot of hard work. Large fields are a good thing. More pros paying their Ironman dues. This isn't a track race. Long course racing can accommodate these field sizes.
All good points dc.
I'll wind my neck in (a bit) but it's still 'an issue' imo. Totally recognise you can have an off day. Still think there's merit in an annual requirement to show that pro licence is merited: just one race (say) within 15% of the winner (220 mins + 33 in this race) or within 68 minutes of an IM winner. Perhaps all these guys would hold onto their licence - forgive me if I don't go though the (long) list - and you're right: I should put that effort in and otherwise show respect for the status quo.
For the record the best of the 'bottom third' MPRO finished in 4:03. Only beaten by 3 amateurs. In WPRO the best of the 'bottom third' finished in 4:40. Beaten by only 4 amateurs.
Will be interested to see the best amateur woman (Shappell) race in the pro field next year if she so chooses: she'd be right up there in the USA rankings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For full disclosure to the conversation usat requires a pro to validate within 3 years I believe within 5-8% of winner.

Funny enough if it were haven to validate every year, an athlete like Morgan Pearson would have lost his license due to not racing for I believe 15 months due to injury/mental stress. That’s why it’s a 3 year window for US based pros to “validate” their pro license.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also add that you can get your pro status racing short, draft-legal races. I know at least 2 of the ladies racing qualified that way. Being a great DL athlete doesn't always mean you'll be a great 70.3 athlete and vice-versa but they've got their pro card and if they want to race a 70.3 they have to race it as a pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah everything reasonable in here. You have to come within 8% of the winning time once every 3 years. Maybe it should be yearly? Clock resets every time you do that so theoretically you could have someone fall off & compete as a pro for 3 years without hitting what you need to hit to re-up. But I would guess most pros are there to push themselves & stay in the pro field. Guessing someone would hang them up if they were getting deeper into that 3 years without doing it. I tend to think the pros that come in towards the back of the pack are committed to racing better than the 8% & trying to move up as high as they can. Some people hit their limits & don't get a lot better than that. They're still pros imo & I'm more than ok with them not taking AG podiums.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 - race day updates [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know who these people are but they have started making some pretty cool little race highlight videos. I hope they can expand a bit in the future as they do a great job.

Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 - race day updates [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Annoyingly I can't see the video. I'm cleared my cache, logged out and accepted cookies, but still no luck.

Do you mind posting the title so I can find it?
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 - race day updates [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really cool video

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....and now,Ari's story