Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.....and here is how he did. Great to see him having so much fun spectating.
I have had my "Home Hyrox" set-up on the cricket ground next to my place without even knowing it.

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 28, 23 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Great video. He got his ass handed to him.

This was enough to get me to rope in some buddies to do it next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeh same, made me want to try.
On the one hand I’m clearly not as fit as Joe but on the other hand I’m heavier, have done more gym in the past, and I might practise twice versus once!
Grip, technique and wall balls seemed to be what got him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why don't they call it crossfit anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
why don't they call it crossfit anymore?
While some of the equipment and exercises are the same the two are actually quite different in administration, purpose and execution.
I like to call it "Endurance CrossFit" but even that is not accurate.
HYROX vs CrossFit - Similarities & Differences Explained | Fitness Drum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he may have another crack at Hyrox this year..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He mentioned on one of the pods that he'll definitely be doing a Hyrox this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe is fast becoming my favorite crazy triathlete...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this. Mainly as I’m a heavier guy, and it’s fun to see how much Joe’s pace suffers when he’s carrying 20kg more than normal.
But I also can’t help thinking this is such a stupid thing for him to do? I’ve done my fair share of running with weight, over 20+ years in the military, and it’s without doubt the source of some of my injuries. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can pitch in and explain how this one-off 5k could be beneficial beyond simply boosting YouTube views?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [MP1664] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MP1664 wrote:
I love this. Mainly as I’m a heavier guy, and it’s fun to see how much Joe’s pace suffers when he’s carrying 20kg more than normal.
But I also can’t help thinking this is such a stupid thing for him to do? I’ve done my fair share of running with weight, over 20+ years in the military, and it’s without doubt the source of some of my injuries. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can pitch in and explain how this one-off 5k could be beneficial beyond simply boosting YouTube views?
I would guess that Joe is just having some off-season fun after his Hyrox experience. I doubt he intends to make it a regular part of his run training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love that he is having some fun with training, and it does make for some interesting content too. I find myself fast forwarding through Sam Longs videos, not much to grab your attention. Lionels are fun as a few others and I watch them in real time. This is the plight of the modern pro, besides doing well in races, you have to do well on the socials too. If you want to maximize your earning potential, then you have to play the game..

One thing about the weighted run, yes Joe is right in that dead weight doesnt have that extra muscle to help you along, but it also doesnt have to be fed either. In the end I think for most big runners it would be easier to go faster with the actual weight, but its probably close. Have to imagine there are some 220lb guys that can break 19 minutes for the 5k, probably a bit taller than Joe though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this was a great idea. It's one thing to BS with your buddies about doing it, but he actually did it! Great job Joe! I do think it's pretty funny that he screwed up the shoes he was planning to run in. Personally, if I was doing that run I wouldn't want to risk running in any shoe with a high stack, squishy foam, etc. So he probably did himself a favor by forgetting.

So if Joe decides to wear the weight vest full time will his run times decrease?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
I think this was a great idea. It's one thing to BS with your buddies about doing it, but he actually did it! Great job Joe! I do think it's pretty funny that he screwed up the shoes he was planning to run in. Personally, if I was doing that run I wouldn't want to risk running in any shoe with a high stack, squishy foam, etc. So he probably did himself a favor by forgetting.

So if Joe decides to wear the weight vest full time will his run times decrease?

I very much doubt that he would use it for his regular run training as those things can be pretty restrictive,(not to mention the increased chance of injury). The bulk is one thing but,as he mentioned,having to really tighten the velcro straps to stop excess movement has the negative impact of restricting breathing during harder sessions (especiallywith the larger ones). I could see (and have seen) benefit in using weight vests for things like HIIT workouts, stair rep's/steep hill rep's and soft sand running,over short intervals as there is way less chance of injury. Those type of workouts though tend to be of more benefit to people who are trying to get fit as opposed to those who are in the top 5% of the sporting population. I am sure that there are many military types here who have had weighted packs strapped to their backs for years who can chime in with more experienced anecdotes.

I have had different vests over the years and still use my 5kg one.It is great. As and aside,taking one on a commercial aircraft is always interesting. (Here is my current 5kg vest)

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
One thing about the weighted run, yes Joe is right in that dead weight doesnt have that extra muscle to help you along, but it also doesnt have to be fed either. In the end I think for most big runners it would be easier to go faster with the actual weight, but its probably close. Have to imagine there are some 220lb guys that can break 19 minutes for the 5k, probably a bit taller than Joe though...

It’s a bit funny that he sold this run as some sort of experiment that the viewers can draw conclusions from for themselves. The only thing missing was an on-screen chart…

Whereas, I saw it as a fun video that made me wonder what happens next. I imagine it was really about clicks, views, etc. Which is absolutely the way to go!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whereas, I saw it as a fun video that made me wonder what happens next. I imagine it was really about clicks, views, etc. Which is absolutely the way to go!//

Perhaps, but have't you ever wondered how much time you lose with each pound you gain in running? It has been a hot topic for quite sometime and the pros have been at the pointy end of finding out the absolute limit with weight and speed. Over the years I hear numbers thrown around as to lose this much and go this much faster per mile, but where did that come from? I mean to do some sort of study on a group and just have them gain a kilo at a time and then run, well too many variables. I mean we know it is true, but how true?

So I think wha Joe did was about as scientific as one could get for an n=1. Put on a lot of weight and do a run where you know what you would have done within a few seconds, and then extrapolate from that. Actually putting on 20 kilos and then running is quite impractical, so this was the best of the rest type of experiment. And I think in the end, he came up with the numbers I have seen thrown around too. Non the less, it was a fun video, worth the click..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
monty wrote:

It’s a bit funny that he sold this run as some sort of experiment that the viewers can draw conclusions from for themselves. The only thing missing was an on-screen chart…

Whereas, I saw it as a fun video that made me wonder what happens next. I imagine it was really about clicks, views, etc. Which is absolutely the way to go!

What should happen next is Joe eats a couple dozen donuts, waits two days for the dust to settle, and then runs a 5k to see if his freshly added kilo of fat slows him down as much as predicted. Youtube science!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
kajet wrote:
monty wrote:

What should happen next is Joe eats a couple dozen donuts, waits two days for the dust to settle, and then runs a 5k to see if his freshly added kilo of fat slows him down as much as predicted. Youtube science!

There's an event near me called the Krispy Kreme Challenge: 2.5 mile run, consume one dozen Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnuts, 2.5 mile run back.

https://krispykremechallenge.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [adgatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sebastian Kienle to do Hyrox Manchester.

Oh for fuxsakes…😂😂😂

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing whoever runs hyrox noticed the influx of new attention resulting from Joe and is paying some nice appearance fees for an even more well known triathlete. Smart move. The Germans love Kienle and they practically invented the cult of personality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A well trained Donkey can beat an untrained Horse....Words of wisdom from Big Dog Joe. :-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next