Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London...
Quote | Reply
Screw all the geeky sports testing videos,this is the off season stuff I love...

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please link the source so people know what you're talking about!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s on his YouTube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw that on IG that's he's going to compete in the pro division. He might be the lightest person in the pro field. At the very least he'll probably be one of the faster runners. Looks like he struggled quite a bit with the sled push. Not sure he was aware of the height requirement for wall balls. Would love to see if he can push the tempo on the run though.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The comments below the YouTube video are interesting as well - and geeky AF. The discussions on strategies and equipment choices and race course dynamics look vaguely familiarā€¦

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Nov 23, 23 23:51
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the sled push it looks as if the limiting factor may be the quality of grip the athlete's chosen footwear affords on the gym floor/carpet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adaykin wrote:
Saw that on IG that's he's going to compete in the pro division. He might be the lightest person in the pro field. At the very least he'll probably be one of the faster runners. Looks like he struggled quite a bit with the sled push. Not sure he was aware of the height requirement for wall balls. Would love to see if he can push the tempo on the run though.

I am looking forward to seeing how well he does. The "Endurance CrossFit" thing is pretty cool but the only thing I don't like is the set-up that they use for these Hyrox events. They always seem a little cramped for my liking unlike the CF Games.
(This one is in Manchester but the set-up is pretty much the same)
The guy in the lead,Hunter Mcintyre has been mentioned here on ST before for his Ironman training and Fitness Adventures.

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 24, 23 3:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Just watch the video as all the info you need is there. Hyrox has been discussed here on ST before.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it so hard to link source material on this site? Then add a link to the event. There's 100k people on this site and people just want to sub tweet.

But I will help people that don't want to be lost as hell.

https://hyrox.com/event/hyrox-london/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Why is it so hard to link source material on this site? Then add a link to the event. There's 100k people on this site and people just want to sub tweet.

But I will help people that don't want to be lost as hell.

https://hyrox.com/event/hyrox-london/

This is the original post you complain about. Please check your adblock settings.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Just watch the video as all the info you need is there. Hyrox has been discussed here on ST before.

Apologies...I think I know what's going on...this site's cookie settings are weird and I need to clear cache, then accept media cookies for ST. Something Ryan mentioned last week or the week before on a thread...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to say watched the video, and now am quite interested in how the Tri boys do in this thing. Not really there cup of tea, but no doubt he will crush the 1k runs in-between. That sled looks quite daunting, hope they figure out the trick(if there is one) on pushing that pile of iron down the road..
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really cool to see Joe having a go, with his body weight and lack of experience in the technique the sled push and pull will almost certainly negate any run advantage he has. The wall balls are a 9kg/20km a ball and thatā€™s the weight an average crossfitter would use in workouts, when you step up a level itā€™s a 30lb ball which is an order of magnitude harder.

I would think a lot of the top hyrox athletes would be 16-17min 5km runners too and running under duress after these cross training exercises is completely different to normal running, I know a few people who do well in AG and they train brick runs off strength exercises for this purpose. Be really interesting to see what he can do on the runs, but I genuinely think that unless he was hiding something on the YouTube video heā€™ll bring to a halt on the sled push and pull.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t think Joe signed up for this to maximize his performance in a Hyrox competition. You realize that when you see him check out the footage of pros pushing the sled only AFTER he has tried to do it (in vain) himself.

This is just for our entertainment. I hope he gets 10 million views of the YouTube video and attracts sponsorships, or whatever. I also hope he will be fine, as - the way Tim Ford (hardly a dull guy or a triathlon purist) put it - the Hyrox is an injury waiting to happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
I donā€™t think Joe signed up for this to maximize his performance in a Hyrox competition. You realize that when you see him check out the footage of pros pushing the sled only AFTER he has tried to do it (in vain) himself.

This is just for our entertainment. I hope he gets 10 million views of the YouTube video and attracts sponsorships, or whatever. I also hope he will be fine, as - the way Tim Ford (hardly a dull guy or a triathlon purist) put it - the Hyrox is an injury waiting to happen.

ahh funny how people like to shoot down the sport they arent a part of , yet people in other sport specific circles look at as triathlon to be an injury to happen....

anyways was looking for live stream of this no luck. It is really cool to see athletes perform well in other sports (why do you think cam wurf became so popular in our circle?)
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is an injury waiting to happen if you try to do a 70.3 with no training.

Ford is not ā€œshooting down other sportsā€ and neither am I.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Joe is scheduled to start 21:10 London time. Thatā€™s 22:10 in most of Europe and 16:10 Eastern.https://results.hyrox.com/...ent=HPRO_JGDMS4JI62E[/url]

Last edited by: kajet: Nov 25, 23 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw an update on his first few items, ran 2;45/3;31/4;06 for his 1k runs, so he must be getting really knackered with the events between..He was probably leading after run 1 though!!! (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://results.hyrox.com/...ent=HPRO_JGDMS4JI62E

Joe's times live at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [elecious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the looks of it he was doing well till the sled pull which took him 13mins šŸ˜¬, think his 2:45/km for the 1st rep was 5th fastest and I'm assuming the 1km reps are short judging by that time šŸ‘€
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper to do Hyrox London... [elecious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd agree the first run was likely short. No way a ski erg would slow someone down ***that*** much unless they really screwed up their pacing. Lunges and sled work I could see having that kind of impact, but not ski erg.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I read correctly that his worst fear and only anticipated problem - the sled push - was also his best workout so far compared to the rest of the field (he's got 2 to go) with a whopping 13th place?

Last edited by: kajet: Nov 25, 23 14:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably should have done better on 1000m row also.

wonder what other sport specific or high level background athletes did this event
Last edited by: synthetic: Nov 25, 23 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly yes! I didn't think he'd be able to turn that around so quickly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did wonder if the gym floor he was practising on might be more grippy than the comp surface.
He should be better at rowing but had evidently never used one before his test at the gym.
I wonder if his mate in the video did it, the paras tattoo on his arm and his build suggests he should be more suited to this than joe
Quote Reply

Prev Next