Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat?
Quote | Reply
I seen it in this but is there value in it?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [AndyLangdon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good info here...

Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [roserc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YouTube host and TV personality as authoritative source material? I don't think so....

The trouble with many of these recovery tricks is separating the recovery rate benefits from performance benefits. So many of them help with recovery rate (feel better sooner), while simultaneously eroding the performance improvement from the workout.

Inflammation is necessary for improvement.... Typically things that reduce inflammation commensuratly reduce performance benefits.

I don't know about ice baths specifically (or alternating hot/cold), but thats my skepticism.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually agree with all of your points, but did you even watch the video?

The initial question asked if there is value in it (heat and cold exposure). I agree with you on the impacts on recovery and performance, but that was not what was asked.

I guess I could have picked a better video - the thumbnail is not representative of the information it contains. The information in the video is provided by Dr. Andrew Huberman, who is a neuroscientist and an Associate Professor at the Stanford University School of Medicine. The YouTube host and TV personality I think you are referring to appears in the video thumbnail but does not appear in the video.

Other good resources on scientific results of studies involving cold and heat exposure can be found by googling Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

The information provided by Rhonda Patrick and Andrew Huberman are from actual scientific studies. In my opinion, the results of the studies on specifically heat exposure (Sauna) and longevity are worth looking into.

Again, I am not commenting on the impact of cold or heat exposure to training, recovery, or anything related to endurance sports. I was just providing a link to information that could possibly help answer the question "Is there value in it?"

Thanks.
Last edited by: roserc: Oct 24, 23 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [roserc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roserc wrote:
The initial question asked if there is value in it (heat and cold exposure). I agree with you on the impacts on recovery and performance, but that was not what was asked.
Again, I am not commenting on the impact of cold or heat exposure to training, recovery, or anything related to endurance sports. I was just giving one answer [to] the question "Is there value in it?"
Sorry: what was your 'answer'? Thought you just offered a video with 'lots of info here'.
Edit: Think you should note in your post when you edit in meaning (as opposed to typos).
roserc wrote:
I was just providing a link to information that could possibly help answer the question "Is there value in it?"
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Oct 24, 23 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [AndyLangdon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's bunk.

Surfers are known for doing all sorts of bullshit woo stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No I did not watch the video. Video Streaming is prohibited at the office.

2. I was not referring to Joe Rogan. I was referring to the host of the YouTube channel of the video posted....who was apparently a reality TV contestant..amongst other non-acedemic things.

3. I DID assume that the OP was asking about endurance sports value, and performance benefits. I think that's a fair assumption in the triathlon sibformum of Slowtwitch. The lavender room would be more apt for a broader perspective.

4. I am aware of neurological and medical benefits for spasms and other things. I presume that's some of what the neurologist discusses. Again, I assumed the OP was asking generally about endurance sport, not medical.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
YouTube host and TV personality as authoritative source material? I don't think so....

The trouble with many of these recovery tricks is separating the recovery rate benefits from performance benefits. So many of them help with recovery rate (feel better sooner), while simultaneously eroding the performance improvement from the workout.

Inflammation is necessary for improvement.... Typically things that reduce inflammation commensuratly reduce performance benefits.

I don't know about ice baths specifically (or alternating hot/cold), but thats my skepticism.

At the same time there is evidence that sauna and cold plunch pool can help the immune system and one also tends to sleep better.
Timing is important
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay. Let’s pretend I’m a 60 yr old guy. Doesn’t do endurance sports. Just the occasional 5k run. Swims a bit and plays tennis. Not fat, doesn’t smoke or do drugs.

Is there proof heat ice is good for your body and brain etc…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David Sinclair, author of the book Lifespan, states that exposure to cold water has a number of benefits.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The vast majority of peer reviewed research has demonstrated that ice baths provide no tangible benefit to any measurable recovery marker with regards to endurance recovery; typically the only noted potential benefit is analgesic, which combined with the user’s belief may allow for a possible placebo effect.

But yeah… any benefit is all in your head - hence why the vast majority of people pushing ice baths are instagram influencers and not exercise physiologists.

Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't cite anything in particular but cold submersion reduces inflammation, does it not? Sinclair's chapter on cold exposure and epigenetics is backed by quite a bit of related publishings.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Last edited by: Emilio: Oct 27, 23 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any specific proof of ice bath sauna repeat? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding inflammation - potentially. There’s disagreement as to whether or not the reduction in exercise induced inflammation (non-injury inflammation) is actually a good thing or not. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33507839/[/url] is a good study in the use of cwi in endurance sports.

There are some positive applications of ice baths - particularly high intensity type power sports (power lifting, 100m sprint, etc.) But the vast majority of what is being pushed right now is pseudoscience or snake oil at best.

Quote | Reply
I’m not a scientist, but I FEEL way better

If it’s 100 degrees in the summer and I’m doing long weekend work (could be athletics, outside w the kids, yard work) i dont bother e the sauna and just do cold. Yes, it helps w sleep too.

When it’s not ridiculously hot or I am not at elevated body temp, i sometimes use the sauna. Personally I can skip the heat , but I’m a pretty big believer of the cold
Quote Reply