Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
mathematics wrote:
cloy wrote:
Texting and driving should be 6 months suspension. That's actually a great start. I really like that idea...

If you need to find a location, use Google maps, etc., pull off the side of the road.

Why haven't the phone manufacturers considered doing something? Like disabling certain features when you're driving a car? Sure, I get it that it's hard to decipher between driver and passenger, but still, give us something.

I'm guessing because if a phone did that then no one would buy that phone. Everybody hates when people text and drive, "but it's ok when I do it because it's only for really important stuff." Without government intervention no phone company will stick their neck out like that.

The solution is easy. If the phone is moving at >5kph, the screen initially turns black with a message, "By proceeding further, you certify that you are not the driver of a moving vehicle that you are operating and rather the passenger in a moving vehicle and this information may be provided to government authorities if requested in case of accident" (or something like that...I am not a lawyer, but it would keep the honest people honest if they have to scroll thru that). Sure, someone could borrow your phone and operate it while driving, and therefore it could not incriminate the person who owns the phone (as the phone owner and driver may be different people or not), but if all those selling phones had to do this, we get somewhere. I also get that you can turn off the phone GPS, but motion of the phone can still be deternined from the LTE connection anyway (at least from what I understand....just doppler effect on frequency shifting should be sufficient...red shift moving away, blue shift converging)

All this is going to do is get people to text for 18 seconds at a time instead of 15
If the lag is around 10 seconds, then it will keep the honest folks honest. Most people won't fight a 10 second screen blackout that happens once you go into motion unless you are a passenger in which case you have time. But it woudl need to be legislated for all cell phone vendors, if not none of them will do it in fear of losing market share with this negative feature.
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both teens charged with murder.
https://l.facebook.com/...IrCgodHOql2B&s=1

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who neither wants to go on to facebook nor be directed the newsmax, this AP article (which formed the basis of the articles on newsmax) provides a summary of the relevant updates re: the apprehension and charging of the two perps involved. Murder charge for each perp, with no indication as to whether it's 1st or 2nd degree.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 20, 23 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
cloy wrote:
The older I get, the more I support vigilantism... These two people deserve the most excruciating, painful punishment available. Is the brazen bull still a thing?

In an instance like this it’s a shame “eye for an eye” justice doesn’t exist in this country.

The personal moral outrage we feel and the desire for certain harsh punishment to be applied in these cases is human nature.

One reason we (in the USA at least) have a government of checks and balances, and a court system that reflects that sentiment, is to prevent the power of the mob from being harnessed unjustly. The short term gain from making a public example out of evil criminal behavior has the potential to cause serious long term consequences if those tools against malevolence ever get wielded by the malevolent themselves. Then we will spend or suffer far more blood overcoming those malevolent actors than was ever saved by making an example of the initial malevolent few. If you look at this as a cyclical trend, we as a society have certainly already progressed down this road to some degree and we'll suffer both more consequences of enabling these desires, as well as suffering the consequences of trying to fix them in the future.

Due process, constitutional punishment and the rule of law is costly to endure. But I think we need to endure it, especially when confronted with addled brains such as these.

Unfortunately, we are dealing with humans that are clearly beyond redemptions in a non-religious sense of the word.
I do agree with you that as a society we got less violent for a while after we banned public displays of grotesque cruelty. But it seems like something broke after the Floyd riots. I am not sure what needs to be done as a non-trivial part of our population has become increasingly feral. Like the perps in this case. I really don't think that kindness is the answer here. There will definitely be more of that.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really a symptom of the moral decay of our society. The fact that someone could put so little value in another human's life, or even just their well-being, that they are willing to deliberately hit them with a car just for giggles, is clear evidence that this person was raised in an environment that had little or no positive moral guidance and influence. If it turns out these two were, for example, a couple of young men just about to head off for their Mormon mission - I'll eat my hat.

“Justice will be served in this case,” Wolfson said. What could possibly be justice? No punishment, no amount of compensation, can do anything to make the victims whole. It would be nice to see some level of accountability for the people who created these monsters, wound them up, and let them go. Although it's too easy to just blame parents...these may be outliers but the tide has sunk to a level where these guys may be within about 4 sigma of average.

I have dreams of retiring in a few years and spending a lot of time on my road bike, but crap like this makes me think it's going to be a lot more mountain biking, backpacking and kayaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
It's really a symptom of the moral decay of our society. The fact that someone could put so little value in another human's life, or even just their well-being, that they are willing to deliberately hit them with a car just for giggles, is clear evidence that this person was raised in an environment that had little or no positive moral guidance and influence. If it turns out these two were, for example, a couple of young men just about to head off for their Mormon mission - I'll eat my hat.

“Justice will be served in this case,” Wolfson said. What could possibly be justice? No punishment, no amount of compensation, can do anything to make the victims whole. It would be nice to see some level of accountability for the people who created these monsters, wound them up, and let them go. Although it's too easy to just blame parents...these may be outliers but the tide has sunk to a level where these guys may be within about 4 sigma of average.

I have dreams of retiring in a few years and spending a lot of time on my road bike, but crap like this makes me think it's going to be a lot more mountain biking, backpacking and kayaking.

I like that idea very much - holding parents accountable for their under-age monsters who commit terrible acts such as intentional murder. The two teens need to be tried as adults and put away for life without a chance for parole. I would be very open to the parents being held accountable as well. Maybe LR conversation but how does a child become a violent murderer? Upbringing, environment, genetics, a combination?

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The personal moral outrage we feel and the desire for certain harsh punishment to be applied in these cases is human nature.

One reason we (in the USA at least) have a government of checks and balances, and a court system that reflects that sentiment, is to prevent the power of the mob from being harnessed unjustly. The short term gain from making a public example out of evil criminal behavior has the potential to cause serious long term consequences if those tools against malevolence ever get wielded by the malevolent themselves. Then we will spend or suffer far more blood overcoming those malevolent actors than was ever saved by making an example of the initial malevolent few. If you look at this as a cyclical trend, we as a society have certainly already progressed down this road to some degree and we'll suffer both more consequences of enabling these desires, as well as suffering the consequences of trying to fix them in the future.

Due process, constitutional punishment and the rule of law is costly to endure. But I think we need to endure it, especially when confronted with addled brains such as these.

Quote:
Unfortunately, we are dealing with humans that are clearly beyond redemptions in a non-religious sense of the word.
I do agree with you that as a society we got less violent for a while after we banned public displays of grotesque cruelty. But it seems like something broke after the Floyd riots. I am not sure what needs to be done as a non-trivial part of our population has become increasingly feral. Like the perps in this case. I really don't think that kindness is the answer here. There will definitely be more of that.

These two statements are true. The answer IMHO to statement 2 is understand the world in which you are living and take the steps needed to survive while preserving stauement 1. Personally, I have already taken steps to reduce the risk of myself or my family being harmed by the "non-trival part of our population that has become increasingly feral".

Personal responsibilty is paramount. No one nor government is going to take care of you personally.
Last edited by: Calvin386: Sep 21, 23 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will continue to use Zwift only more now.....I don't want to trust some distracted driver who can't look up from their f--phone for 5 seconds to keep their eyes on the road.

I think this moral decay started with Trump, social media and the me me me society that we have now. I think when kids like this do stupid sh-- that the parents should be held accountable.....

Just my .02c.

KK
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're going there, eh?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The assholes have been arrested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/16p0zom/las_vegas_teen_expected_slap_on_the_wrist_for/

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
cloy wrote:

It’s funny how much faith you lose in our system when you start to practice.

I somehow don't think roasting people alive will deter deviants like those here nor make anyone safer.

Maybe not, but I can guarantee they won’t do it again.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
aravilare wrote:
cloy wrote:

I somehow don't think roasting people alive will deter deviants like those here nor make anyone safer.

One can also guarantee that with a preemptive strike. You seem like an imminent threat as a vigilante.
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
The older I get, the more I support vigilantism... These two people deserve the most excruciating, painful punishment available. Is the brazen bull still a thing?
. A scene from the 70’s movie Marathon Man comes to mind
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
aravilare wrote:
cloy wrote:

One can also guarantee that with a preemptive strike. You seem like an imminent threat as a vigilante.

not sure if you realize this, but the world has never, is not, and never will be safe.

also, when I see pure evil, I will eliminate it. if it makes you feel better, I can pull the trigger on these animals.

Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:

not sure if you realize this, but the world has never, is not, and never will be safe.

also, when I see pure evil, I will eliminate it. if it makes you feel better, I can pull the trigger on these animals.

Pulling a trigger is metaphorically and literally the easy part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

Pulling a trigger is metaphorically and literally the easy part.

Oh, you want me to dig the hole, too?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bragging he will be out in 30 days:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...robst-las-vegas.html
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Those two guys belong in prison.
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

The look and demeanor of these 2 are exactly what you'd expect - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx52YKPpN7w

Oh and it looks like hit another cyclist prior to the murder - except that he got lucky and survived.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Sep 23, 23 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this in my local paper today:

https://www.seattletimes.com/...o-4-years-in-prison/

In this case, of course, the perpetrator didn't intentionally kill anyone, but he was driving 25 mph over a 25 mph speed limit and then fled the scene (hit and run). Punishment? 4 years in prison.

I realize this is far different from intentionally running someone off the road, but in my opinion, anyone driving a motor vehicle who kills a cylist or pedestrian while either driving recklessly (20+mph over the speed limit or other obvious indication or reckless driving) or impaired (drunk or using a cell phone) should be spending 10+ years in prison. 20 if you flee the scene as this guy did. Four years just seems entirely inadequate to me.

I can't help but think the "juveniles" discussed on this thread will get a similarly light sentence.
Last edited by: ohanapecosh: Sep 23, 23 18:58
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [ohanapecosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [JAA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Copying the text from the article for ease of reading. Glad to know they were tried as adults. Sadly it does not bring back the person who was innocently pedalling and lost his life. I can't imagine what the family is going through right now.

--------------------------------------------------

RENO, Nev. -- Two teenagers were indicted Friday and charged as adults with several felonies, including murder and auto theft, after allegedly recording the moment they targeted and fatally struck a bicyclist in a Las Vegas hit-and-run.
Police have said they tied the teens, who were 17 and 16 at the time, to at least three hit-and-run incidents the morning of Aug. 14. The indictment expands on the charges the teens were already facing.
The Associated Press is not naming the teens because of their age at the time of the alleged crimes. Messages seeking comment that were left late Friday with the teens' attorneys, P. David Westbrook and Daniel Hill, were not immediately returned.
The alleged hit-and-run incidents include the crash that killed cyclist Andreas “Andy” Probst, a 64-year-old retired former police chief from the city of Bell, outside Los Angeles, who was pedaling along the side of a road when he was hit.
The video, shot from the front passenger seat of an allegedly stolen vehicle, shows it approaching Probst from behind on an otherwise traffic-free road. Male voices can be heard laughing as the vehicle steers toward Probst and rams the bicycle. Probst is thrown backward across the hood and into the windshield. He is then seen on the ground next to the curb.
Along with murder and residential burglary, the teens were indicted on charges of battery, attempted murder and residential burglary, and multiple counts of automobile grand larceny and possession of a stolen vehicle.
The younger teen also was indicted on a charge of possessing burglary tools.
Under Nevada law, the most severe sentence the teens could receive on the murder charge, if convicted, is 20 years to life in state prison, not the death penalty. That's because they were not 18 at the time they were accused of the crimes. One of them has since turned 18.
Both teenagers are in custody without bail.
Quote Reply
Re: Biker targeted and hit and killed on video by teens in Las Vegas [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
Does anyone know if there was ever any "justice" for the rolling coal teenager in Waller County (I thought it was Montgomery County - similar "locals" in both counties). Similar case (but thankfully without death - "just" multiple cyclists run over) - by a jerk recording videos for likes.

I had the cyclists lawyer work for me when I got hit.

As much as he could tell me about an active case, there will be justice.

Given what he did for me, I believe him.

For me, a low rent insurance company tried to ignore me.

I needed his patience as I wanted to go scorched earth. He prevailed on my behalf.

I did ask him if the person who hit me could go through some of my treatments, which hurt as much or more than the initial injury. Apparently, you can't legally request such action.
Quote Reply

Prev Next