Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: another etap upgrade scenario, what would I need (2x 11s to 1x 12sp on tri bike) [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for confirming. I am still wondering about the practicality of my suggestion. I'm not a fan of the disposable nature of the wireless blips but I guess the ergonomics of trying to use the mtb shifter on the tt bars could give a bad ride experience
Quote Reply
Re: another etap upgrade scenario, what would I need (2x 11s to 1x 12sp on tri bike) [retrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes using the eagle shifter would be a bit weird but would work for pairing up some wireless blips if someone doesn't have access to an axs shifter.

I suppose I've come to grips with the current disposableness of the wireless blips, I just really dislike their shapes. By that I mean how they lay on a round bar, which shouldn't really be a surprise for SRAM.

The button is a little odd too... experimenting with some 3D printed button replacements out of the Netherlands and some wireless blip mounts I printed from some stl files I found. The wired clics and blips were just a little better thought out ergonomically but wireless blips are also pretty awesome because... no wires!
Quote Reply
Re: another etap upgrade scenario, what would I need (2x 11s to 1x 12sp on tri bike) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
kppolich wrote:
Shimano 12sp cassette will work fine on that 11sp hub.

Really??? I had no idea but it seems to be right according to http://obike.dk/teknisk_info. The 12 speed cassette is 40.9 mm thick and the 11 speed is 40.5 - I guess that the lockring would just be a bit harder to get on...
Yes 12 speed HG (Shimano) type hubs will fit on 11 speed HG hubs... the teeth are closer, the internal distance of 11/12 speeds chains are the same but 12 speeds chains are thinner on the outside.
Quote Reply
Re: another etap upgrade scenario, what would I need (2x 11s to 1x 12sp on tri bike) [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
Current bike is 2011 cannondale slice with shimano 11s R7000 mechanical shifting. If I was to go to 12sp etap in a 1x setup, is this the complete list of what i'd need?

RD
Blip Box
clics (+ optional basebar blips)
Freehub swap for my Hed Jet Plus 6 wheels (https://store.hedcycling.com/hed-wheel-hub-bodies/)
12sp cassette + chain
Wolftooth chainring (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...?variant=27923279429)
battery + charger

half my brain says i'm forgetting something, and the other half says this is everything and this would be super easy. Instead of spending $4k+ used or $6k+ new for an etap equipped bike, re-dialing my fit etc.,, in looking around I feel like I could compile all these parts for like $1200 and could install all parts myself.

Under $1200 honestly...

RD - I'd get a Force, good balance weight wise and uses the hydraulic clutch vs. spring on the Rival - ~$300
I'd go wireless blip - no wires ~$200
Just get a Shimano 12 speed cassette - will fit on your current wheel - $100
I like YBN Chains, Shimano 12 speeds are good too - $60
Chainring... my 'old' 1x chainring worked with my 1x 11sp chainring, internal size is same 11 & 12 speed
Yes battery and charger - $50

Now the controller, blip box that I skipped over... you only need it to pair the wireless blips. Cheapest option if you're buying something would be to buy an Eagle AXS shifter ($150'sh) since you're going 1x and super cheap would be to borrow an AXS shifter/blip box to pair the wireless blips.

But yes, I think you could easily do this for way under $1200.

To resurrect a slightly older thread as I read through AXS posts trying to learn. I know the intended setup here was a 1X, but if you stuck with 2X can you still have just the wireless blips without the control box (assuming you get it paired). Do I read it correctly that you can shift FD with both buttons together, so this would work for both 1X and 2X configurations? RD & FD = AXS, remainder could be Shimano (perhaps better to change out the pulley wheels, but unsure on that)...
Quote Reply
Re: another etap upgrade scenario, what would I need (2x 11s to 1x 12sp on tri bike) [MustGoFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per SRAM it should work after you get the blips paired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:

Thanks - one other question. If just running the blips, RD, & FD, what do you miss out on in the SRAM app if the rest is Shimano? I understand apart from pairing you would need a "controller" to trim the derailleurs as well.
Quote Reply
Re: another etap upgrade scenario, what would I need (2x 11s to 1x 12sp on tri bike) [MustGoFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
xeon wrote:

Thanks - one other question. If just running the blips, RD, & FD, what do you miss out on in the SRAM app if the rest is Shimano? I understand apart from pairing you would need a "controller" to trim the derailleurs as well.

Nothing that I can tell to be honest. The microadjust works with the wireless blips. The derailleurs, blips, etc. take their firmware updates independently. You can set the blips to do various shift things but I can't find a reason to change them. The only thing I've really done in the app are those two things... update firmware and microadjust the rear derailleur. Yes the blips have firmware updates... in fact they'll probably want an update right out of the box.

The only thing I've found having wireless blips only is they do not do multiple shifts like the wired blips.... you hold them and it will go up or down several gears. Tapping the wireless ones, you only get a single shift. Not a huge deal but you do have to tap, tap, tap if you want/need multiple gear shifts.
Last edited by: xeon: Oct 3, 23 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again

Decisions, decisions…I have an old Rival crank that would need to be upgraded, but if I move to Shimano then I’ll need to do something for the BB. Trying to keep this on a budget but seeing the need for a whole new group set minus the brake levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
Thanks again

Decisions, decisions…I have an old Rival crank that would need to be upgraded, but if I move to Shimano then I’ll need to do something for the BB. Trying to keep this on a budget but seeing the need for a whole new group set minus the brake levers.
I'm curious, why would you need to upgrade the Rival crank?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
MustGoFaster wrote:
Thanks again

I'm curious, why would you need to upgrade the Rival crank?

So the current bike is an 11 speed setup with Shimano RD/FD/Cassette, but a SRAM Rival crank. If I moved to the AXS 12 speed, then I know I'll need AXS RD/FD, and want to run Shimano cassette (due to the Hub) + 12 speed chain (Shimano or 3rd party). I assume I can't/shouldn't use the current Rival crank because now I'm really messing up the mixing of components and at a min. should have a Shimano crank to pair with the cassette, and I further assume I need a 12 speed crank to work correctly with the FD.

Lots of assumptions on my part...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
So the current bike is an 11 speed setup with Shimano RD/FD/Cassette, but a SRAM Rival crank. If I moved to the AXS 12 speed, then I know I'll need AXS RD/FD, and want to run Shimano cassette (due to the Hub) + 12 speed chain (Shimano or 3rd party). I assume I can't/shouldn't use the current Rival crank because now I'm really messing up the mixing of components and at a min. should have a Shimano crank to pair with the cassette, and I further assume I need a 12 speed crank to work correctly with the FD.

Lots of assumptions on my part...
It is a lot to think about... your cranks are fine. The internal width of a 12 speed chain is the same as an 11 speed chain... the outside size of the chain is thinner to help with tighter cassette clearance for 12spd.. Shimano or YBN 12spd chain will work just fine with your crank, axs rear/front der and a 12 spd shimano cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great - thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
xeon wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
Current bike is 2011 cannondale slice with shimano 11s R7000 mechanical shifting. If I was to go to 12sp etap in a 1x setup, is this the complete list of what i'd need?

RD
Blip Box
clics (+ optional basebar blips)
Freehub swap for my Hed Jet Plus 6 wheels (https://store.hedcycling.com/hed-wheel-hub-bodies/)
12sp cassette + chain
Wolftooth chainring (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...?variant=27923279429)
battery + charger

half my brain says i'm forgetting something, and the other half says this is everything and this would be super easy. Instead of spending $4k+ used or $6k+ new for an etap equipped bike, re-dialing my fit etc.,, in looking around I feel like I could compile all these parts for like $1200 and could install all parts myself.

Under $1200 honestly...

RD - I'd get a Force, good balance weight wise and uses the hydraulic clutch vs. spring on the Rival - ~$300
I'd go wireless blip - no wires ~$200
Just get a Shimano 12 speed cassette - will fit on your current wheel - $100
I like YBN Chains, Shimano 12 speeds are good too - $60
Chainring... my 'old' 1x chainring worked with my 1x 11sp chainring, internal size is same 11 & 12 speed
Yes battery and charger - $50

Now the controller, blip box that I skipped over... you only need it to pair the wireless blips. Cheapest option if you're buying something would be to buy an Eagle AXS shifter ($150'sh) since you're going 1x and super cheap would be to borrow an AXS shifter/blip box to pair the wireless blips.

But yes, I think you could easily do this for way under $1200.

To resurrect a slightly older thread as I read through AXS posts trying to learn. I know the intended setup here was a 1X, but if you stuck with 2X can you still have just the wireless blips without the control box (assuming you get it paired). Do I read it correctly that you can shift FD with both buttons together, so this would work for both 1X and 2X configurations? RD & FD = AXS, remainder could be Shimano (perhaps better to change out the pulley wheels, but unsure on that)...

Figured I would resurrect this thread to highlight what I managed to do from a cost standpoint. Living in Canada we seem to get gouged on pricing, so I had to be a little bit creative when trying to source the parts for an electronic setup. I ended up getting the RD and FD from Germany (they wouldn't ship SRAM to Canada but I have someone bringing them during a visit) and shipped US sourced parts to the in laws in Florida leveraging the SRAM Black Friday 20% discount. Still need to buy the chain, and at some point will need at least one extra battery and another cassette for the trainer, but all in for what's on the list = $740 USD

Rival FD

Eur

USD
Rival RD

Eur

USD
Battery x 2

USD

USD
Charger

USD

USD