Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I think it's great that both you and Stern engaged in the discussion. Kudos for responding. Some of us feel that the vlog was a bit harsh on Stern, some other fans would disagree and that's fine. He is a neo-pro and certainly learning. However, I think all of us are in agreement that the rules could be rectified to prevent these situations.

I reckon that "spoiled brat" can come across as harsh if read as text only and without the context of a not so serious verbal conversation. e.g.. my wife calls me a spoiled brat all the time when I complain about a having a bad workout, weather, amazon packages not delivered on time, etc. So please don't take the comment too seriously, we really enjoy your social media content.

It's funny how you talked about racing in the midst with pro women and passing them, earlier in the thread (albeit at another race). You were in that race passing a pro woman and giving a play by play, but guess what, you were talking about yourself in talking about your experience. It is totally OK if you want to share your experience, and one could view it as bragging about your race, or if you want it could be viewed as a explaining a point with a context from your racing. You gave an example from your experience !!! It is actually OK to do that, because not everyone has been in the mix with what goes on with pro women's racing, so your context is actually useful, even though it is talking about your personal podium chase!!!

But you also called Paula a spoiled brat and when she came on here, you needed to backtrack. It is OK if you want to call pro athletes anything you want. They are pros, and the rest of us are fans. Fans say all kinds of things they would not say to the face of pros because this is what fans do if the sport is professional enough. But when they show up, just own what you said about the pro. You called her a spoiled brat, and its OK to own it rather than backtrack. Its not like you were trying to qualify what you implied calling her a spoiled brat until she ACTUALLY showed up here.

Everyone is human, You could have cut Paula more slack before she showed up. She did not have a perfect race, but she was on the tarmac fighting it out in the real world and she's on here with her own identity owning her body of work defending herself to an anonymous person calling her a spoiled brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:
All of this is more than reasonable & thought the YouTube was fine too. Like hearing honest thoughts from pros.

I said it earlier but the next big US IM race is IM Texas. There's just a 5:00 start gap between the pro men and the pro women. The reality is top pro women are good enough to be mid-pack in the men's race. Jewett would've been 27th/49. You're going to have this problem moving forward if the gaps stay tight. Gotta increase the gap or implement rules about pro men dropping back. Swimming is not going to be everyone's strength in the male pro field. You'll have people like Foley who will come out of T1 with pro women and then hammer the bike. But pros like Stern are still dropping good times & should get to develop in the sport.

It's interesting how Messick argued for a "fair women race" as part of their reasons they are not making IM WC a one day event, and yet we get bullshit like this where they can't give the women more time so they can have a fair race.

Errr, didn't this prove Messicks point? They needed two days. Hence two locations since Hawaii said ʻaʻohe maikaʻi to two days there.

The women's race is necessarily impacted by the men's. Now, could they have spaced it further out? Maybe, but there are real stresses for every extra few minutes, there are always knockdown effects, delays etc. But Messicks point was, to be most fair to women, give them their own day. That was proven here, not disproven. Maybe someday if the sport was big enough, they could do it more often outside of worlds races.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Changpao wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
Changpao wrote:
I watched the TTL video and Paula did not blame her disappointing run on anyone.
She did state that the male pros interfered with the race “in an annoying way” and speculated that she might have been able to create a gap had they not been there.
Then why embarrass the guy in a public video? She ran a 1:27, so even without Stern's "interference", she wasn't going to put 20 minutes on the other girls. She sometimes strikes me as a bit of a spoiled brat, she had a bad race and all of a sudden she is annoyed at all these tiny little things.

For people that make a living based on a small number of races per year, there is probably no such thing as a "tiny thing".
I think your reference to her as a "spoiled brat" says it all. You're predisposed to dislike her so you're interpreting her comments in a dark light, misinterpreting her justifiable frustration and disappointment as finger pointing and shaming of other riders.

Easy there tiger. If TTL wants credit and plaudits for showing their “personality” then they are opening themselves up for others to interpret them. There is a certain sense of entitlement from time to time that comes across.
They will continue to put out content because they are greatly benefiting from their branding. How does a mid pack pro get a deal from Specialized? Their content! They are making a living off their contracts and I wish them continued success. If PF is making bank from the PTO races then it made no sense to show up to Oceanside in top form. However, if the run times continue to improve and she is limited by the volume and intensity of her run training, there is only small room for improvement in the other two disciplines and she will have to pick her courses perfectly and show up primed and ready and there are new people joining the pointy end.
@Engner66 is of course entitled to their 'spoiled brat' opinion: just as others are to disagree and explain why. Not sure if it helps to be so judgemental.
"How does a mid pack pro get a deal from Specialized?" This comment, @lyla does suggest an extraordinary lack of perspective/knowledge, typing diarrhoea, or is just (successful) trolling.
"mid-pack pro"? or is this an off-topic dig at Eric, in which case I suggest Specialized's partnership is a joint deal (see also LCB and Barclay with far less/no justification: Eric wins races).
Findlay was a world beater in 2011 and has retained that reputation through some hard times.
Her win in Daytona before Christmas 2020 lit up that short season (Iden won the men's) and announced her return to the sport's top echelon.
https://stats.protriathletes.org/athlete/paula-findlay
She had a tremendous season last year with superb races at Edmonton (with all the home-town pressure) the Collins Cup humbling of Matthews (and on time #3 behind Ryf and Gentle): exalted company.
https://stats.protriathletes.org/...ins-cup/2022/results
And for her 'A' race of 2022: the IM 70.3 world champs she gains silver, solidly ahead of Pallant, LCB, Duffy et al.
#3 in the PTO Rankings
https://stats.protriathletes.org/rankings/women
"mid-pack pro"? Please don't make me choke on my Cheerios.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 10, 23 3:43
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:
All of this is more than reasonable & thought the YouTube was fine too. Like hearing honest thoughts from pros.

I said it earlier but the next big US IM race is IM Texas. There's just a 5:00 start gap between the pro men and the pro women. The reality is top pro women are good enough to be mid-pack in the men's race. Jewett would've been 27th/49. You're going to have this problem moving forward if the gaps stay tight. Gotta increase the gap or implement rules about pro men dropping back. Swimming is not going to be everyone's strength in the male pro field. You'll have people like Foley who will come out of T1 with pro women and then hammer the bike. But pros like Stern are still dropping good times & should get to develop in the sport.

It's interesting how Messick argued for a "fair women race" as part of their reasons they are not making IM WC a one day event, and yet we get bullshit like this where they can't give the women more time so they can have a fair race.

Errr, didn't this prove Messicks point? They needed two days. Hence two locations since Hawaii said ʻaʻohe maikaʻi to two days there.

The women's race is necessarily impacted by the men's. Now, could they have spaced it further out? Maybe, but there are real stresses for every extra few minutes, there are always knockdown effects, delays etc. But Messicks point was, to be most fair to women, give them their own day. That was proven here, not disproven. Maybe someday if the sport was big enough, they could do it more often outside of worlds races.

if you really care about the female race you find those 10 min somehow. ie you let the age group70 plus start behind the pros with a 1 min gap, and for the rest you cut the cut if times a few min so you can finish the race at the same time for instance.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

if you really care about the female race you find those 10 min somehow. ie you let the age group70 plus start behind the pros with a 1 min gap, and for the rest you cut the cut if times a few min so you can finish the race at the same time for instance.

That's the same know-better reasoning that gets applied in every fb group etc. I assume they have to budget delays in and all other considerations so that ten minutes potentially becomes more? Maybe I'm just knee jerk defending what I presume is knowledge on their part and it's really group think ignorance.

But here's the thing. There are two presumptions I can make. You know what you are talking about and know better than them. Or they know better than you. It seems like I make an assumption either way, and the safe assumption is the latter. The feel good contrarian assumption is just too attack the people in "power". That seems too easy for me.

As it was, looking at the results the race was supposed to start at 6:40. The time start shows the men going at 6:39 and the women going at 6:42.

I thought it was "supposed " to be 5 minutes between. They felt pressured to move things faster or just jumped the gun. But when you've got people coming and going from a Marine base and you future ability to run a race in a venue depends on making a good impression, maybe it's as simple as them wanting to be absolutely certain they overperform the expectations they set in various stakeholders rather than causing some annoyance that Ironman always goes 20 minutes longer than expected.

Like you said, those few minutes seem both meaningless and inconsequential in the overall race day but can have a big perceived impact on the race. Well, likewise, it might have a big perceived impact to be that many fewer minutes faster on the course closures. Disagree? Then tell me you've never exceeded the speed limit, risked death to yourself and those around you....to save a couple minutes or less on a commute. When you're holding your hat out essentially begging on a road closure "donation" it makes a lot of sense to over deliver on your times.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Apr 8, 23 1:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as i understand it, the main problem with scheduling (specifically at oceanside) is access to the base. fair enough - i guess the military really limits the window that IM gets to pass riders through.

maybe the bigger question is the value of the pro field to IM. oceanside has almost become a 'spring classic' in our sport, and is attracting great pro fields. despite that, the prize purse is a joke. if pros were important to IM, they would presumably be trying to negotiate a bigger window of access to the base (maybe they already are?), or would be willing to squish more AG waves together to allow more space for the pros.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

Pretty sure MPRO to WPRO gap of 5 minutes is 'normal'. Yes, Jewett was #27 of all athletes BUT not at T2 (which is the final moment when it might 'matter'): she was maybe #45 (adding the 3.5 mins in). Matthews/Lawrence/Findlay maybe #38-#40.
https://www.trirating.com/...april-22nd-seedings/
At Texas, disregarding the male BoP outlier (?Hansen), only Brandon will exit T2 with MPROs around.
Thorsten estimates 4:50 for the bike for her, and McCauley and Matthews on 4:40 and 4:41.
In the MPRO field there are a couple of FoP swimmers but weaker bikers (Raelert and Csoke) who will be out of T2 before any WPRO. All the MPROs (exclude IM debutants) are up the road (good swimmers) or much faster riders who will blast past, for example Aernouts, Foley, Russell.
The aberration at Oceanside was maybe five MPROs (Stern, Henri, Hammer, Bollinger and Nelson) whose swim/bike was very close to 3 minutes longer than that of a quality set of WPROs. (NB Apart from Stern I am not suggesting these guys rode close to the lead WPRO train, they just entered T2 very close and several can be seen running in with the 'top 5' women.)
https://watch.outsideonline.com/...mp;slug=ironman-70-3

So are you saying you don't really see this as a problem because it doesn't affect too many people? Oceanside showed even if it's a handful of people that it can cause problems for WPROs. & I don't say that to blame the MPROs. I think they have every right to race. They should be in pro fields instead of dominating the AG ranks. I would still be in favor of a slightly bigger gap. What's the harm in 10:00 versus 5:00. Then if any women catch pro men on the bike it'll be a little later into the race where it should be more decisive (moving at different speeds versus riding at the same speed). Maybe we'll get more split day races but I can't see local races going for that. It's good for the World Champs. But the World Champs have more narrowed pro fields to begin with so it probably doesn't matter. A lot of pro races are gendered now where you'll have a men's pro race in one location & the women's pro race in another on the same weekend. Maybe that's the move but idk I like having men & women competing on the same course on the same day. If you're a pro you can try to line up the gendered races if that's what you want to do. Might be helpful for the newer pros. Can see developing WPROs having a similar issue with AGers catching them. It's a little different but it could help them latch onto a pack on the bike and catch back up to other WPROs. It's probably not fun to get passed in those situations though.

Also that resource you shared is great to see the projections.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No bragging it was a funny story only.

As for the spoiled brat, I just indicated the context of the term.

Have you actually seen the video where she is snapping at her partner all the time because she was dealing with an injury? She really did come across like that in my view.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question would be if this issue occurred for 40 miles, what time gap would take out basically any complaints? Would the BOP pro be the “moto draft” that ppl bitch about now for the last hour of the very key FOP once the gaps have occurred?

So 40 miles of interference? Bad since it’s so early and true gaps can’t form for FOP WP?

Last 10 miles of interference? Shoulder shrug cus you likely can’t *completely fix it?

Like what time gap does it need to be that we just deal with the *slight* annoyance, not a 2+ hr bike annoyance position?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 8, 23 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

Pretty sure MPRO to WPRO gap of 5 minutes is 'normal'. Yes, Jewett was #27 of all athletes BUT not at T2 (which is the final moment when it might 'matter'): she was maybe #45 (adding the 3.5 mins in). Matthews/Lawrence/Findlay maybe #38-#40.
https://www.trirating.com/...april-22nd-seedings/
At Texas, disregarding the male BoP outlier (?Hansen), only Brandon will exit T2 with MPROs around.
Thorsten estimates 4:50 for the bike for her, and McCauley and Matthews on 4:40 and 4:41.
In the MPRO field there are a couple of FoP swimmers but weaker bikers (Raelert and Csoke) who will be out of T2 before any WPRO. All the MPROs (exclude IM debutants) are up the road (good swimmers) or much faster riders who will blast past, for example Aernouts, Foley, Russell.
The aberration at Oceanside was maybe five MPROs (Stern, Henri, Hammer, Bollinger and Nelson) whose swim/bike was very close to 3 minutes longer than that of a quality set of WPROs. (NB Apart from Stern I am not suggesting these guys rode close to the lead WPRO train, they just entered T2 very close and several can be seen running in with the 'top 5' women.)
https://watch.outsideonline.com/...mp;slug=ironman-70-3

So are you saying you don't really see this as a problem because it doesn't affect too many people? Oceanside showed even if it's a handful of people that it can cause problems for WPROs. & I don't say that to blame the MPROs. I think they have every right to race. They should be in pro fields instead of dominating the AG ranks. I would still be in favor of a slightly bigger gap. What's the harm in 10:00 versus 5:00. Then if any women catch pro men on the bike it'll be a little later into the race where it should be more decisive (moving at different speeds versus riding at the same speed). Maybe we'll get more split day races but I can't see local races going for that. It's good for the World Champs. But the World Champs have more narrowed pro fields to begin with so it probably doesn't matter. A lot of pro races are gendered now where you'll have a men's pro race in one location & the women's pro race in another on the same weekend. Maybe that's the move but idk I like having men & women competing on the same course on the same day. If you're a pro you can try to line up the gendered races if that's what you want to do. Might be helpful for the newer pros. Can see developing WPROs having a similar issue with AGers catching them. It's a little different but it could help them latch onto a pack on the bike and catch back up to other WPROs. It's probably not fun to get passed in those situations though.

Also that resource you shared is great to see the projections.

I don't like the idea of a 10 minute delay as everyone is waiting and it pushes everyone out another 10 minutes into the heat of the day.

Personally I don't want to be racing a minute longer into the day on a blistering day. I've raced where the heat index was over 100F and thank God when I finished it was around 82F. I drove away to see slower athletes literally melting in the oppressive heat and humidity. Some of these people are less fit than the top end of the race.

While it's only 5 more minutes, the number of ambulance sirens increases proportionately to the duration of the race. It increases the risk factor for age groupers, and age group entry fees pay for these races to be held.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
As it was, looking at the results the race was supposed to start at 6:40. The time start shows the men going at 6:39 and the women going at 6:42.

I thought it was "supposed " to be 5 minutes between. They felt pressured to move things faster or just jumped the gun. But when you've got people coming and going from a Marine base and you future ability to run a race in a venue depends on making a good impression, maybe it's as simple as them wanting to be absolutely certain they overperform the expectations they set in various stakeholders rather than causing some annoyance that Ironman always goes 20 minutes longer than expected.
In race details the starts were advertised as 0640 and 0642. By the Pro briefing the organiser decided (significant lobbying) they could increase to a 3 minute gap (0640/0643) so on the morning the starts were exactly as planned. Dawn twilight levels are a key determinant of how early you can start (and in clod water conditions) - NSS (Conan Doyle)
The organiser had also shared/explained (Fb) that, as you have implied, they had a specific window of thoroughfare agreed with USMC Camp Pendleton and any greater start delay would increase the risk of not meeting that. Or they'd have had to impose harsher cut off times at the 22 mile point of the bike (turn to entrance of the camp) to the detriment of amateur back markers.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This problem and others would be solved by having fewer age groupers. The bike course was ridiculously overcrowded. I raced Barcelona last year which is a notorious draft-fest and it was nowhere near as bad as Oceanside.

But the race sold out in October so I’m sure Ironman are trying to figure out how they could sell more places, not less.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

Pre-Pandemic they had started doing MPRO and WPRO only Ironman races, especially some big ones like Placid and Wisconsin. Probably will start seeing more of those over time. But that also means less pro race fields on broadcast I guess.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Apr 8, 23 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM's Fighting Chance video

and WPRO:

Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeppers

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewynn wrote:
Yeppers

Did you help in the production ?
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this to add this excellent vidoe (they did a good one for Indian Wells too):

Quote Reply

Prev Next