Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t think anyone has done back to back like this. Thereā€™s no menā€™s event in between. Itā€™s literally the next heat. Of course thereā€™s the pomp and circumstance between the heats but Iā€™m thinking 5-8 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also 59.64 100 Back and 2:27.23 200 Breast. //

So Wilm from Canada just got 3rd in Doha in 59;18 for the 100 back. Certainly a bigger meet and no doubt she was on full taper and shave. I would say for sure Summer could easily be a prelim swimmer in the back, but man, that is just 4/10's away in a nonsense meet during training. I wonder if there is any swims left for the coaches to select on, does summer actually now have to beat that time in order to get on the A relay?

Just something in me that thinks there is more in the tank for summer, but would they switch the two out and have Wilm swim the prelim? I guess maybe hinges on that 800 too and if she actually swims it or not...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Summer could swim fly, back or free in prelims and get the job done. We've got 3 girls with a 1:06 in the 100 Br this year. My money is on Alexanne Lepage being first to go 1:05, she won 100/200 Br at Jr Worlds and swims here now. Her age group coach was a long time team mate of mine.

Ingrid fits the uncoordinated on land sterotype, just watching her climb out of her tiny car is comical.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Summer could swim fly, back or free in prelims and get the job done.//

For sure, and I think she could be on that mixed relay too, although AJ doesnt agree there. The two scenarios for that mixed is women do the back and fly, so certainly a prelim could be in the cards. But what if she pops the top fly time before the games, almost certainly a woman swims fly on that relay, that is what most teams do.

I just think Summer is a once in a generational swimmer, and Canada will want to push that narrative, and get her as many medals as possible. It is good for the country, good for swimming Canada, and could be one of the biggest stories of the games. But just like with Phelps who was put on A relays a couple times where it was questionable before hand, do they do that with Summer now too??

Is there a cut and dry system they are using to pick relays, or is it a coaches decision?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dressel might have his work cut out for him.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Especially with Popo's stated goal of a sub 24 2nd 50.

Liendo rising fast in the 100 Fly too.

Looking forward to seeing Liendo and Kharun rip it at NCAA

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Feb 13, 24 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NCAA's are going to be the best meet in a long time. AZ now expected to take the top spot, but it is not going to be easy. Just watched two cal back strokers get gold and silver in the WC's, Hunter and Hugo. But of course these worlds are really lacking this time around, more like a season meet on the pro circuit. I guess 9 months is just too short for many to interrupt their olympic training..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya saw that record a couple days ago. And Dressel has had his work cut out for him ever since he left the scene at worlds. There are like 5 guys that could break 47 on a given day, so its gonna take a very fast time to win that 100 free for sure. But it is a funny event, often a time a few 1/10's slower wins races, such a fine line between WR and just a fast swim. I hope he can make it back to the conversation and a middle lane in the finals.

Big question is what will happen in the relays? Is China now the favorite? That would be crazy, and the US and OZ could get shut out even!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya saw that record a couple days ago. And Dressel has had his work cut out for him ever since he left the scene at worlds. There are like 5 guys that could break 47 on a given day, so its gonna take a very fast time to win that 100 free for sure. But it is a funny event, often a time a few 1/10's slower wins races, such a fine line between WR and just a fast swim. I hope he can make it back to the conversation and a middle lane in the finals.

Big question is what will happen in the relays? Is China now the favorite? That would be crazy, and the US and OZ could get shut out even!!

as of right now, probably... they're just solid all the way through.

but like you say, it's funny. I remember a few years ago when Cam McEvoy got within spitting distance of the WR (at Aus nationals maybe?) then a few months later was out of the picture at the Olympics. Pressure and the Olympic circus affects a lot of things.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize that WR swims in a relay count as an official WR!

Even if the second-third-fourth swimmer does it?? Only the first swimmer gets an "official start", right?

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
I didn't realize that WR swims in a relay count as an official WR!

Even if the second-third-fourth swimmer does it?? Only the first swimmer gets an "official start", right?

Nah, only the lead-off swimmer has the potential to set a WR, since only he/she is going from a flat start. While not WRs, USA Swimming does keep lists of the fastest relay splits. https://www.usaswimming.org/...ll-time-relay-splits

Despite the passage of almost 16 yrs, Jason Lezak's 46.06 anchor leg in the 2008 Oly 400 free relay still stands as the fastest 100 LCM split of all time. You may recall that it was this amazing split that enabled the U.S. team to catch the French and win the relay. This kept Phelps's hope for the 8 golds alive. MP swam the lead-off leg of that relay in 47.51 which was a U.S. national record at the time.

I noticed that your goal now is 1:14 for 100m free; did you get your sub-6:00 400m already??? Or is the 1:14 an "intermediate" goal???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks.

(1:14, then 5:59!) šŸ˜‚

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klim set th WR in the 100 free leading off the 400 free relay in 2000.

I think Murphy did it too ( backstroke obviously).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless dressel can get down to a 47.2 - 47.3 by trials (questionable) I am ruling him out of the podium talk for 1 free at olympics.

I don't think the russians are going.
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So just finished watching day 5 of the WC's, is China going to be the favorite in both mens and womens in Paris? Man they sure look good, and several top swimmers sitting out too. Of course things can change, but dam they look good on paper thus far, and in the pool.

Back to the topic on hand, looks like the Canadian women are solidifying their spots in the Brest, Back, and Fly. Summer is just a scoooch behind all 3 of those ladies in the 100's, so unless she can unleash some better time at some meet between now and Paris, would be looking at being a prelim swimmer if they need her, or just want to maximize her medal potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The us will likely win the most medals again. Which doesnā€™t mean ā€œwinningā€ the meet.

Iā€™ve got a weird stat for you. Of the top 10 performers all time in the 100m freestyle, NONE of them set a best time past age 22.

How could that be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve got a weird stat for you. Of the top 10 performers all time in the 100m freestyle, NONE of them set a best time past age 22. //

Interesting, how does that stat play out for the next 20 best times? And I would say not entirely accurate, figure in Lezak's swim on that relay as the fastest of all time, still hasn't been beat too..

And of course that doesnt mean they dont win, didnt we have a guy win the 50 at 40 years old?
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless dressel can get down to a 47.2 - 47.3 by trials (questionable) I am ruling him out of the podium talk for 1 free at olympics. //

Guessing it will take well under that to make the individual, perhaps 47.5 to make the relay top 6 squad. And how about your boy Cam, just crushing it in the 50 prelims today, and very dominant in this super watered down WC. And China coming from behind with a 16 year old and winning that 4x200, man that was a nail biter to the end for the US.

But we left so many behind,(as did every other country with top NCAA swimmers) so hard to tell the true nature of the relays. That 7;01 is a super solid time for now, but me thinks the old suit record(6;58) is going down come Paris.

But back to my premise that the 100 is just so wonky sometimes, WR gets set in relay, then the 100 actually won later on a half second slower. Seems if you can swim 47.3, you virtually always have a chance to win the big meet, just a function of everyone else being off their PR's. Which seems to happen a lot...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listened to something on YouTube by Nathan Adrian and he reckoned that world records in 100 free are more likely be set in smaller meets where someone can get out front where thereā€™s not so much turbulence as when everyone swimming ng in a line youā€™re fighting that turbulence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many think peak Caleb could have taken the 50 record down but swims in such a big program by the time he gets to the 50 fr he isnā€™t fresh enough. If he just raced the 50 free different story.

Iā€™m liking the lesser known swimmers getting finals and podiums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m liking the lesser known swimmers getting finals and podiums. //

Ya tough luck for the WC's this year, lucky to be the 3rd fastest meet. But those 50's are still going fast, even though many are sitting out. Poor Michael Andrew, goes 21.77 and gets the last spot in the final!! And he missed another final and had one good result earlier. And all he does is train for those dam 50's, perhaps time for a change in his program.

I'm most excited about NCAA's this year, a few of the guys are at worlds and killing it already, mostly Cal guys. Of course I would watch a big high school meet if it were on tv, so I'm a watching fan regardless of the many *** of this meet...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Many think peak Caleb could have taken the 50 record down but swims in such a big program by the time he gets to the 50 fr he isnā€™t fresh enough. If he just raced the 50 free different story.

Iā€™m liking the lesser known swimmers getting finals and podiums.

Perhaps the most emotional gold medal ceremony I've ever seen. She is clearly so extremely happy to have won.

https://www.tiktok.com/@nbcolympics/video/7334779200597151022

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what do the fishes think of this change in the olympic schedule? A little fishy that the host nation makes a change that directly benefits their star swimmer and perhaps the swimmer of the games, but I'm ok with it as they did it. Of course it is like dominos, every little change affects someone else out there too, but perhaps not as much as a direct to direct final.

And looked over some of the proposed changes swim swam put out there, couple could help but most just cause another problem down the line.

https://swimswam.com/...3vpwwGirFP5pJUZ6erUI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katie wrote a book! Just Add Water. June.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: For the fishes and Ledecky/Summer fans [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
Katie wrote a book! Just Add Water. June.

Interesting, thanks as I had not heard of this yet. Apparently she started a journal at age 14 documenting her training leading to the 2012 Oly.
https://thedailyrecord.com/2024/03/07/olympic-champion-bethesda-native-katie-ledeckys-memoir-just-add-water-to-be-published/

Quote Reply

Prev Next