Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So I have this tattoo... [johnny law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Johnny, I hate to tell you this, but all tats will change with time. Look at your gramps skin then look at your kids. The skin changes so the tat will too. Has nothing to do with the ink, but the changes in the skin. Maybe some the ink. But believe me they all will look different in 50 years.

The race for the DNR, is the only race that we all enter. It is your life. At some point we need to decide when enough is enough and no more shocks for the heart or meds. Maybe if we are lucky we can go in out sleep. Some of us will have pretty ugly tats when we qualify for the "Big" event.
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
All I'm saying is that it was heavily influenced by my love of margeritas and one of my former college room mates has one to match....kj

do you have a drunk mexican holding a margarita tatted on your ass?

lol!!!
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
All I'm saying is that it was heavily influenced by my love of margeritas and one of my former college room mates has one to match....kj

do you have a drunk mexican holding a margarita tatted on your ass?

lol!!!

Or, did a drunk Mexican tattoo her ass??? ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [GeeForces] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee, you really seem to know about this kind of stuff. How hard is it to color over the top of something? For example, if I had a green circle, how hard is it to put a white one over the top of it and have it come out white instead of grass stained color?
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [SkinDoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey maybe someone can answer this for me. Why don't tatoos disappear completely over time? Doesn't our body constantly regenerate itself? Aren't my current skin cells different than the ones I had 10 years ago. Why does a tatoo not slough itself off over the course of a decade or two????

Maybe a stupid question, but my inquiring mind wants to know.
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a buddy in college who got back-out drunk and when he came to his senses the next day he had a parrot tattooed on his the back of shoulder like a pirate. I still get a kick out of that one.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [BK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good questions!

Yes, your body is constantly regenerating itself, at least some parts of your body.

Your skin is made up primarily of 2 layers, the epidermis (the colored skin on the surface) and the dermis (the support structure of your skin). Between these two layers is a layer of cells called the basal keratinocytes. These cells generate billions of new keratinocytes skin cells every day and the epidermis is constantly regenerating. Each day, as new cells are made, yesterday's cells get pushed further up to the surface. It takes an average of 42 days for a cell to go from its birth day at the basal keratinocyte layer to the top. By the time the cells are at the surface of your skin, they have aged and are dead. On the average, there are about 40 layers of dead skin cells on the surface of an adult's skin. This is called the stratum corneum.

The dermis is the support structure of your epidermis. This is made of many things (such as collagen, elastin, proteoglycans, hyaluronic acid, etc.) This level of the skin does not regenerate itself. This is the level where all the aging occurs. All the sun damage we get from our training builds up in this layer and is cumulative.

The reason tattoos do not "slough off" is because they are engulfed by our macrophages (immune cells) and stay in our dermis. The deeper the ink is in the dermis, the more resilient is to with lasers. The dermis we die with is the same dermis we were born with, only much more degenerated from all the sun damage we get throughout our lives. Since tattoo ink lies in this structure of our skin that does not regenerate, it is permanent. This is one of the reasons why amateur tattoos are so easy to remove; many amateur tattoo artists do not place the ink as deep as professional tattoo artists.

www.presidiolaser.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learn something new every day. Thanks for answering my question

bk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so, with the lasering off the tat, is there scaring???

this is what i have tatted on the front of my ankle, but the lines are a little thicker. i got it about 13 or 14 years ago...and it's all black. is something like this hard to remove?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the one on the left.....

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like you have a simple black tattoo...the best kind to have if you want it removed. It's even better if it was done by an amateur. It will take more treatments if it was done by a professional.

Tattoo removal really should not result in scarring, especially if it is done by someone with knowledge and experience. The main concern is that you may be left with some residual pigment, looking like a ghost. However, most simple black tattoos have good resolution.

Warning: tattoo removal hurts a lot more in bony areas, like the ankle, because of thge reflection of the laser beam off the bone. It's least painful in fleshy areas, like a butt.

http://www.presidiolaser.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, So I know how to get the bone grafs off but what about the tattoo?

Well I thought it was good idea after that case of wiskey.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was professionally done, but this encouraging.

the strawberries are darker red with green vines. they are faded out, there is some white in the tat not alot. these two i would like to get removed (the ankel symbol and the strawberries). the ankel one bothers me most, it just isn't professional to have something like that, and i wear mostly skirts in the spring and summer. so, you see my point.

if you can recommend anyone in the cincy area, please let me know (you can PM me or post here, whatever).

thanks for all of the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live? I will be going to the big national Laser Surgery Conference next week (all the real laser surgeons attend this). I will try to find a good laser doctor for you. If you email me at info@presidiolaser.com in 2 weeks, then I can refer you to someone. I'll be busy at the laser conference and then rushing off to Phoenix to compete in Ironman Arizona. Email me after April 9th, and I should have a name for you by then.

Unfortunately, many laser physicians do not perform laser tattoo removal because there just isn't as much money in that area as in skin rejuvenation and hair removal. Regardless. I'll try to find a good doc to recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is going to look real ugly in the nursing home in 50 years or so.

If I'm in a nursing home in 50 years, I'll consider myself darn lucky if I have time to worry about what my calf-tat looks like. =)

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> it just isn't professional to have something like that, and i wear mostly skirts in the spring and summer.<<

I guess it depends where you live. I have two tats, on on each lower leg, just above the ankle. I wear skirts all the time (never w/ hose) and it's never been an issue. At our +100 year old law firm, it's definitely how you do your job, not how well you comform (it is SF after all).

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: So I have this tattoo... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, it's my own opinion, not anyone else's--i own my business, and no one has ever said anything. it is my opinion that after all this time the tat looks bad, it isn't professional. i feel it is a black blob.

my best friend likes it though, go figure :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next