Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I'd recommend bumping up your efforts across the board to where you're actually training 9-11 hrs per week. (OTHER doesn't count)

Thanks for your opinion but this is where my personal insights into my own body trump the "More Volume = Better Performance" generalization. Spending 2-3h a week working on my mobilization, range of motion, tight muscles and other niggles goes a long way to keeping me injury free. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion however, just agree to disagree though.

I didn't say to stop doing the other stuff. You may have to get creative when you get that other stuff done though if time crunched. Do it while eating breakfast or watching tv before dinner or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
PushThePace wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I'd recommend bumping up your efforts across the board to where you're actually training 9-11 hrs per week. (OTHER doesn't count)

Thanks for your opinion but this is where my personal insights into my own body trump the "More Volume = Better Performance" generalization. Spending 2-3h a week working on my mobilization, range of motion, tight muscles and other niggles goes a long way to keeping me injury free. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion however, just agree to disagree though.

I didn't say to stop doing the other stuff. You may have to get creative when you get that other stuff done though if time crunched. Do it while eating breakfast or watching tv before dinner or whatever.

Understood however, 6H SBR + 3H Strength Training = 9h a week .... Then the OTHER is on top of that for 2-3H which then totals 11-12H a week ... I apologize for not putting clearly above in one message. Overall I'm hitting the volumes you're suggesting already and progressively building them up as I get closer and closer to my key event.

I wish I could get creative and do it on the subway during my 1.5h commute everyday but I have a feeling Transit authorities may give me a hard time foam rolling my quads in the centre isle LOL

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get you one of those roll recovery R8s, it'd be perfect for that! I love mine and almost never grab the roller anymore as the R8 is way easier to use.

I know you don't want to hear this but strength training doesn't count either. Bottom line is that you're training 6 hrs a week. I don't know that any triathlon coach is going to be able to do anything revolutionary with that.

I don't have anything else to add so I'll duck out now. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there a few coaches on here who are quite good and as a fellow coach who has pm’d them they have been quick and responsive in helping.

No experience with Qt2 or PP. I know Qt2 gets results. But with some posters on this thread you in effect have a 5-10 year job interview...of course it goes the other way and good coaches are sometimes busy enough that they have the luxury of picking their clients.

Side note: I don’t include myself in there as I don’t coach anymore, just run a local team/group environment.

Best of luck,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Get you one of those roll recovery R8s, it'd be perfect for that! I love mine and almost never grab the roller anymore as the R8 is way easier to use.

I know you don't want to hear this but strength training doesn't count either. Bottom line is that you're training 6 hrs a week. I don't know that any triathlon coach is going to be able to do anything revolutionary with that.

I don't have anything else to add so I'll duck out now. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.

Thanks again Sean and I didn't take your opinion as anything but being helpful. I'm not trying to be a online word warrior either I just think we have different training philosophies.

I'm not looking for anybody to revolutionize my training as it's doing fine and I'm among the top performers in the province. I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong fundamentally. The coach consult is to tell me "Your ramp rates are too fast" or "You peaked too early on the run portion of the run program" or "You didn't test yourself often enough in the pool and adjust paces" etc

I'm happy with my training and performances but if I could shave 26s off my A Race this year I'll be on the Ontario Provincial podium vs being in 5th place. I'm not lacking knowledge, just getting a second opinion on the methods I'm using. I truly do appreciate you challenging my methods and hope you didn't take any offence to anything I said. Take Care!!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love your approach. Without a close relationship, a coach can only make a best guess. I am not a coach, yet, but without a close conversation I wouldn't prescribe anything specific for anyone, It is so individual
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [Rider17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I appreciate it. To me this isn’t a coach & athlete situation, that’s not what I want. This is a Coach & Coach situation where we are looking at an athlete, drawing our conclusions and comparing them. Me being the head coach and the consultant being the outside knowledgebase whom I can become a better coach through.

I don’t want the coach to make me a better athlete, I’ve proven to myself I’m capable of that on my own. I want the coach to make me a better coach which in turn could make me a better athlete. Having a guru to poke holes in my program and theories/training principals will accomplish that I think.

It may sound kind of weird to think of it that way but that’s what I’m after. Perhaps that is something to emphasize here.

------
Quote Reply

Prev Next