Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes
Quote | Reply
I've been having this thought this year as I embark on my 5th year of serious triathlon training. In years past I've been self coached and I've had good results but fell just shy (26s) of my big goal last year. Rather than try and closely simulate last years plan, hoping for better results, I was looking to see if there is such a service as coach reviewing a plan. Maybe it will entail looking over the past 4 years of data in Training peaks, or looking at standard sessions through the progression of the training plan.

Are there any services like this? I can tell you right away I do not want a coach. I do not want somebody else planning or prescribing my workouts, I don't do well with that scenario. However, I more so need somebody who sees something I'm missing or something I'm over doing via my data. 3rd party analysis in a consulting roll.

Am I the only Self coached athlete who wants this sort of guidance?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just post your data here.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posting 4 years worth of data here isn't possible, it's all housed within Training Peaks. Not to mention I don't want comments from the ST peanut gallery (no offence and not implying that's you). The goal is to have somebody with a long standing reputation of getting athletes to their peak fitness to work with me (for a fee) to ensure I'm not leaving anything on the table. I want to do that without giving up control of my program but perhaps also as a step towards coaching others in the future.

The real guru's see things I likely don't that could be low hanging fruit to correct for potential gains or they can confirm I'm on the right track overall.

------
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen those services advertised again and again. Here are two examples. I have no affiliation with either and have not used such a service.

https://purplepatchfitness.com/services/coaching-consults
http://www.qt2systems.com/triathlon-training/
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I have seen those services advertised again and again. Here are two examples. I have no affiliation with either and have not used such a service.

https://purplepatchfitness.com/services/coaching-consults
http://www.qt2systems.com/triathlon-training/

Awesome thanks I will check this out. The main thing I want to ensure is that they have Short Course knowledge as I notice many of these coaches are focused on Ironman and Kona results. I'll see what the coaches in this pool have as CVs and hopefully get the ball rolling.

Thanks again HuffNPuff!!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posting weekly mileage totals and some times would get you started here.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only now begun putting in the next 6 weeks of workouts into the TP interface. This week and last are my Testing weeks where I will perform a CSS Swim Test, LTHR Run Test and a FTP Cycling test. Ignore the "Next 21 days" in the charts.

------
Last edited by: PushThePace: Jan 30, 18 15:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any competent coach should be able to provide that service. I've done it dozens of times, Dessert Dude would probably do it as well. I generally charge about $100 for this and this gets you 60-90 minutes of my time, split between looking back over your old stuff and discussing it. Areas for improvement almost always jump out.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Any competent coach should be able to provide that service. I've done it dozens of times, Dessert Dude would probably do it as well. I generally charge about $100 for this and this gets you 60-90 minutes of my time, split between looking back over your old stuff and discussing it. Areas for improvement almost always jump out.

I'm similar to this. I do these all the time, similar timeframes and rates. They're fun to do! Most competent coaches should have a an hourly consulting rate if you ask them.

Don't ask me though, I'm a cycling coach, not multisport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to what has been posted I do the same. Quite frankly I wish more athletes that are self coached or just buy plans would find a quality coach do monthly or every 6 week consults. I have done this with a number of athletes that simply do not want monthly coaching and I have been able to help them adapt plans to suite THEM, guide them the correct way and for some, talk them off the ledge.

Best of Luck ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most coaches will do it if asked, not all advertise it on their site.

For many coaches the rate typically depends on how busy they are, how much time they will spend on it and also consider if you are a one time consult or doing something regularly.

Most "good" coaches will have a great knowledge base that can help you with any distance in sport, even if the majority of their athletes race a different distance.

The biggest piece of advice I would give you would be to have an idea of what you are looking for ahead of time. Have specific questions ready and be realistic with what you are asking for in a consult. If you have no idea with this, then you could also ask the coach what they believe you can do better to achieve your goals. State what has worked well and where you find you are falling short.

Best of luck!

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Last edited by: Blakebecker: Jan 30, 18 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I charge a bit more than $100.

But yes I do these although I have no availability to do these until after 7 February as I've got some on the books that I want to do before adding more.

OP: Any competent coach should be able to help you with your training puzzle

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 30, 18 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [Blakebecker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blakebecker wrote:
Most coaches will do it if asked, not all advertise it on their site.

For many coaches the rate typically depends on how busy they are, how much time they will spend on it and also consider if you are a one time consult or doing something regularly.

Most "good" coaches will have a great knowledge base that can help you with any distance in sport, even if the majority of their athletes race a different distance.

The biggest piece of advice I would give you would be to have an idea of what you are looking for ahead of time. Have specific questions ready and be realistic with what you are asking for in a consult. If you have no idea with this, then you could also ask the coach what they believe you can do better to achieve your goals. State what has worked well and where you find you are falling short.

Best of luck!

Yes I know EXACTLY what I want to dive into and see about tweaking. I'm a Data Analyst by profession so I've been tracking trends and closely monitoring things naturally. I've also been collecting a lot of data as there is no such thing as too much data to pull from. It may not all be necessary but it's there if needed. Food, Water, Power, Heart Rate, Sleep, Weight, etc

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey send me a private message
detailing goals and what your currently do for training. I would love to help.
http://www.PESfit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a great question for a self-coached athlete... good on you that you've got the awareness to think big picture and the initiative to bring in outside help.

As discussed, this is a feature for many coaches, and you're looking at $75hr to $350 for a thorough season plan.

PushThePace wrote:
I've been having this thought this year as I embark on my 5th year of serious triathlon training. In years past I've been self coached and I've had good results but fell just shy (26s) of my big goal last year. Rather than try and closely simulate last years plan, hoping for better results, I was looking to see if there is such a service as coach reviewing a plan. Maybe it will entail looking over the past 4 years of data in Training peaks, or looking at standard sessions through the progression of the training plan.

Are there any services like this? I can tell you right away I do not want a coach. I do not want somebody else planning or prescribing my workouts, I don't do well with that scenario. However, I more so need somebody who sees something I'm missing or something I'm over doing via my data. 3rd party analysis in a consulting roll.

Am I the only Self coached athlete who wants this sort of guidance?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some great info by others. My only thoughts would be to pick some one who’s been here a while and has a reasonable post history, you can go back through their posts and see if they are the right fit etc.

Also look at other small things like their ability to do virtual fit, or specific swim video analysis etc.

I’ve done this before over coffee an some analysis. It works great for the motivated self starter....who also has an open mind and isn’t to entrenched in their own confirmation bias.

Out of curiosity, how many hours a week and what is other? You are spending25-30% on those two.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Any competent coach should be able to provide that service. I've done it dozens of times, Dessert Dude would probably do it as well."

Careful...I hired him once. All he told me was "eat more sweets after each meal." I gained a lot of weight and got slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Some great info by others. My only thoughts would be to pick some one who’s been here a while and has a reasonable post history, you can go back through their posts and see if they are the right fit etc.

Also look at other small things like their ability to do virtual fit, or specific swim video analysis etc.

I’ve done this before over coffee an some analysis. It works great for the motivated self starter....who also has an open mind and isn’t to entrenched in their own confirmation bias.

Out of curiosity, how many hours a week and what is other? You are spending25-30% on those two.

Cheers,
Maurice

Thanks for the good idea on checking out posts. It can give me a good idea if our training philosophies align and mesh well through seeing the suggestions they've previously posted here. Yes I know there are some fundamental common things we'll have to agree on like ... How much energy should I put into my strength training and using tools in the pool. Those are two camps that don't budge.

Other is my recovery work. Stretching, Foam Rolling, EMS (Marc Pro), RMT and any Chiropractor work. I'm 37 (going on 38) so I spent ample time here ensuring I'm keeping myself injury free and fighting a decreasing range of motion as I'm an office worker.

Currently my regular volume week is roughly 9-11h a week and my peak weeks (2-3 a year) top out at 17h.

Annual Volumes 2017

Bike
Distance 5,035.8 km / Time155h 32m / Elev Gain12,790 m / Rides 151

Run
Distance 1,302.7 km / Time 99h 0m / Elev Gain 3,252 m / Runs 141

Swim
Distance 207,102 m / Time 54h 26m / Swims 92

------
Last edited by: PushThePace: Jan 31, 18 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, any competent coach can get you 80%, through training principle, but it takes a relationship to really get to your full potential. That is what costs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
Currently my regular volume week is roughly 9-11h a week and my peak weeks (2-3 a year) top out at 17h.

Annual Volumes 2017

Bike

Run

Swim

Just noticed you gave hours/wk but listed it came out to 3hrs/wk on the bike, 1.9 on foot, and 1 in the pool. That's 6 hours/week. Not 9-11.

So I'd assume your current 9-11 hrs/wk is much higher than 2017 then? Or is the 9-11wks exclude off weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am happy to offer my advice in this arena...few others here are as qualified as I and my fee can be paid in candy bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
PushThePace wrote:

Annual Volumes 2017

Bike

Run

Swim

Just noticed you gave hours/wk but listed it came out to 3hrs/wk on the bike, 1.9 on foot, and 1 in the pool. That's 6 hours/week. Not 9-11.

So I'd assume your current 9-11 hrs/wk is much higher than 2017 then? Or is the 9-11wks exclude off weeks?

Three things ... I take 8 weeks off a year (Mid Oct Mid Dec) so totals shouldn't be divided by 52 but by 44. Additionally those totals do not include the previously mentioned OTHER totals or my weekly strength work which is 2.5-3h weekly.

------
Last edited by: PushThePace: Jan 31, 18 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend bumping up your efforts across the board to where you're actually training 9-11 hrs per week. (OTHER doesn't count)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a very common service for coaches to provide. The hard part will be picking one. Ideally you'd go to someone you've worked with and found helpful in the past. Barring that, recommendations from trusted third parties are worth a lot. Barring that, you're just going to have to investigate coaches and gamble a bit on someone.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching Consultation for Self-Coached Athletes [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I'd recommend bumping up your efforts across the board to where you're actually training 9-11 hrs per week. (OTHER doesn't count)

Thanks for your opinion but this is where my personal insights into my own body trump the "More Volume = Better Performance" generalization. Spending 2-3h a week working on my mobilization, range of motion, tight muscles and other niggles goes a long way to keeping me injury free. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion however, just agree to disagree though.

------
Quote Reply

Prev Next