Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The greatest to never win kona [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
He probably meant Xena (the warrior princess) which is Caroline Steffen nickname.

Ah, i see, thanks for that info!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The greatest to never win kona [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm partial because I'm a big fan of the 2000s in Kona. Just a ton of great races: Tim DeBoom, Macca vs Crowie, Macca vs Stadler, Chrissie's dominance etc... so I have to go with Sindballe and Lieto.

aerobean wrote:
Of all the long distance triathletes over the history of the sport, who's the best to never win kona?

A few come to mind immediately:

Andreas Raelert
Andy Potts
Caroline Steffen
Yvonne Van vlerken
Quote Reply
Re: The greatest to never win kona [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asellerg wrote:
Got a link for that by any chance? I can't find it.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b/1/c/b1c3a6c69e7dd70e/IMTalks_2016_Kona_Race_Day_Special_-_Jan_Frodeno_Daniela_Ryf_Sebastian_Kienle_Mirinda_Carfrae_plus_nearly_every_pro_athlete.mp3?c_id=12987108&expiration=1515280747&hwt=ef63cc44f05a80b93d64d2c2e3380ef2

The IMTalk guys hooked me up with the link

Some really great interviews that capture that feeling of those guys who just fought that whole day.

Potts interview is at 1:26

Team Zoot 2023
Last edited by: aerobean: Jan 6, 18 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you for digging that up!

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: The greatest to never win kona [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Can't add much to the mens discussion. I think the womens discussion is missing Mary Beth Ellis. Fastest IM American female on record. Multiple IM wins. ITU titles. 70.3 titles. Qualified for the '08 Olympics. Never put forth a great day at Kona.

Which ITU titles did MB win?

**Edit** Sorry you mean that Long Distance thing right? I get ya (well sorta)..

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Last edited by: salmonsteve: Jan 7, 18 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: The greatest to never win kona [TriZoeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need to compare apples to apples, different times yield different levels of athletes (and a few other circumstances affect speed) such as equipment, training knowledge, bike fits, etc. You know...the common sense stuff these days. I am going to say Wolfgang Dittrich. Although not the top runner and not competitive (2:56 best in Kona per Wolfy interview) by today's running standards, he would lead Mark Allen/Dave Scott and others for a lot of his Kona races. For the day--there were few better (and they are considered THE BEST).

On an aside note--I think Allen / Scott may have run faster (even as fast a Lange) if the same bike fit & equipment were available back in the day. Certainly Allen's bike fits had a bit to be desired in some pictures, even though it may have felt good back then. Not bad, but I've seen more aero positions in modern times for sure. That would allow him to run off the bike a bit better.

Also, the swim was 200 meters longer then I believe, plus they had that b*tch of a hill to climb out of called The Pit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Please close thread...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honorable mention to Christian Bustos
Quote Reply

Prev Next