Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
to everyone:

i've updated my first post to keep track of all these wheels. the reason i'm interested is that i feel it's time we paid some attention to tubeless for triathlon. i've been emailing back and forth with damon rinard and tom anhalt (thanks, you guys!) on what i've been finding are the pleasures and idiosyncracies of tubeless in general (i.e., for gravel, MTB, etc.), in preparation for a series of articles on this. they've helped me better understand this product category.

with vittoria (obviously), schwalbe and others starting to come out with some pretty impressive tubeless tires for road, it didn't seem to me to be relevant without knowledge of whether your prospective (or existing) wheels would accept them. so, thanks for your help in helping me update this.

Dan, this covers Zipp's recent tubeless offerings: http://www.zipp.com/...1do6ercpei26peheg14m
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Dan, this covers Zipp's recent tubeless offerings: http://www.zipp.com/...1do6ercpei26peheg14m

thanks. i updated the first post accordingly, assuming i understood that page correctly.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

thanks. i updated the first post accordingly, assuming i understood that page correctly.

You've got all the carbon models covered except the 202 and 202 NSW. Unless you are cutting off the the tubeless list at a certain depth.

If this tubeless wheel list isn't only for tri bikes, a notable offering in the 303 line is the 650b wheel which is their gravel or all road model. The internal rim width is only 21mm so it's not clear how well an mtb tire would mount up. Zipp is also touting this wheelset as an option for smaller riders.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
BladeX: it is a small but good manufacturer who is more reliable and higher quality than any other Chinese wheel maker and they have tubeless wheels:

https://www.bladexcycle.com/pro-carbon-cyclocross-cx-wheelset-60mm-disc-brake-tubular-or-clincher

All their wheels are tubeless ready except their disc and 3 spoke wheels.

The claim their rims are tubeless, but the rim pictures all over their website say otherwise. There's nothing about their rim that's designed for tubeless applications. Compare the rim profile to all the others on Dan's list.

Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe a certain Kona winning wheelset is missing from this list. The Swiss Side Hadron Ultimate (full carbon fiber) is tubeless ready. Their Hadron Classic (alloy rim, carbon fiber fairing) was not. However, this may change with a new release/update in late winter/early spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized makes the Roval CLX wheels in rim brake and disc- All are tubeless compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
I’ve been thinking about going tubeless on my jet 6 for a while now. So you had no problem with the nut clamping down on the fairing? The Silca 80s looks like a pretty good option so you don’t have to mess with any extenders. I’ve just always been leary about how much pressure it takes for the nut to seal down against the fairing. How was your experience?

You dont need a lot of pressure on the nut since its just to keep the valve stem from pushing down and losing its seal when you are trying to air the tire up. The Silica setup has a grommet that goes on the rim to protect the carbon faring from the nut. I used the 100mm which is a 60/40.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qxJryzWmfsMV4TjM2
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

FLO - their CCs and their "30" aluminum rim are tubeless

Website sez all the alu-carbon rims (60, 90, Disk) are tubeless ready as well.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
BladeX: it is a small but good manufacturer who is more reliable and higher quality than any other Chinese wheel maker and they have tubeless wheels:

https://www.bladexcycle.com/pro-carbon-cyclocross-cx-wheelset-60mm-disc-brake-tubular-or-clincher

The claim their rims are tubeless, but the rim pictures all over their website say otherwise. There's nothing about their rim that's designed for tubeless applications. Compare the rim profile to all the others on Dan's list.

Dangle, this is the second time you have posted this based on internet reading. I do appreciate your concern. However, I don't think that you have, as you have said, ever used these wheels or know anyone who has. I have talked to riders who have used their wheels with tubeless tires.

Perhaps this additional picture of their rims will ease your angst,

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
dangle wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

Dangle, this is the second time you have posted this based on internet reading. I do appreciate your concern. However, I don't think that you have, as you have said, ever used these wheels or know anyone who has. I have talked to riders who have used their wheels with tubeless tires.

Perhaps this additional picture of their rims will ease your angst,

Thanks for the share. My 'internet reading' is the link that you posted. It shows three cross section rim pictures. None of those three are tubeless or anything close to the file you attached to your post. If the picture you attached is correct, then yes it appears to be a tubeless ready rim. My angst would then come from buying a wheel from an unknown wheel builder that doesn't know what their rims actually look like. Maybe they are legit and really good tubeless wheels, but it's awfully hard to gather that from their website as that attached picture doesn't exist anywhere there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the Bax Carbon wheels are tubeless ready. They say the 88mm options are not but I run mine tubeless without issue (when I bought them it didn't say the 88mm wasn't compatible - I'm guessing it's due to the difficulty in sourcing decent tubeless compatible valves and extenders to suit an 88mm wheel).

https://www.baxcarbon.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
daleks wrote:

Are HED Jets officially tubeless? Their website doesn’t (to my knowledge) officially state as such. But you’re not the only one that has posted online about running them tubeless.

The entire "Plus" line is "tubeless ready." You're correct that HED does an awful job making this clear. In fact the entire HED Web site is a disaster compared to Flo's site.

Didn't some one here try to use the H3+ tubeless with less then stellar results?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Parcours wheels are also tubeless-ready - https://www.parcours.cc/

With the proliferation of "tubeless-ready" wheelsets hitting the market, is it worth considering how easily a tubeless tyre can be fitted? Granted it will likely vary between different tyre manufacturers but I've definitely had some friends (who I don't consider to be completely inept when servicing their bikes) that really struggled with tubeless fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think someone here had trouble getting a CS to seal. I tried an IRC tubeless tire (just for kicks) and it sealed fine *BUT* it required a feat of strength to get on and I ended up literally having to cut it off.

I watched the video from GCN/Mavic that someone posted above. It's informative. Until road wheel/tire manufacturers move to a standard like UST, road tubeless will probably be a crapshoot from rim to rim, tire to tire with regards to installation difficulty and sealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alfonso132 wrote:
Didn't some one here try to use the H3+ tubeless with less then stellar results?
I think somebody issue was trying to use it tubeless without rim tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.venn-cycling.com

Venn 35/44 - tubeless, tubular and clincher, with rim and disc version of each (so all options)

Victor Major is an infrequent poster here.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
alfonso132 wrote:

I think somebody issue was trying to use it tubeless without rim tape.

I have two H3+ wheels and they are the easiest wheels to set up tubeless I have ever come across. No rim tape. I do 98% of my miles on Bontrager Aeolus TLR wheels and I sometimes have to resort to tricks (lubing the rim bead, etc) in order to get them to lock in and seal. With the H3+ wheels, they have always sealed on the first try. They also hold air quite well.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All FLO wheels are tubeless ready. That includes:

FLO 30
FLO 60 AC
FLO 90 AC
FLO DISC AC
FLO 45 CC
FLO 60 CC
FLO 90 CC
FLO DISC CC

AC = Aluminum Carbon
CC = Carbon Clincher

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stan's NoTubes Avion wheelsets
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:

FLO 30
FLO 60 AC
FLO 90 AC
FLO DISC AC
FLO 45 CC
FLO 60 CC
FLO 90 CC
FLO DISC CC

AC = Aluminum Carbon
CC = Carbon Clincher

I can confirm that the Disk AC, Flo 60 AC, 60 CC, 90 AC and 90 CC have all worked for me tubeless with Vittoria CS TLR. That and a bit of Orange Seal and they lose air barely faster than a butyl tube (way less loss than latex)
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe all of Alto's new clinchers are tubeless ready
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All latest generation Roval Carbon Rim Brake and Disc brake models are tubeless ready:
  • CL32
  • CL50
  • CL64
  • CLX32
  • CLX50
  • CLX64

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:

FLO 30
FLO 60 AC
FLO 90 AC
FLO DISC AC
FLO 45 CC
FLO 60 CC
FLO 90 CC
FLO DISC CC

AC = Aluminum Carbon
CC = Carbon Clincher

Have they always been? If I was able to buy some used/older Flo wheels and want to run tubeless what year would I need? Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
Canadian wrote:

FLO 30
FLO 60 AC
FLO 90 AC
FLO DISC AC
FLO 45 CC
FLO 60 CC
FLO 90 CC
FLO DISC CC

AC = Aluminum Carbon
CC = Carbon Clincher

Have they always been? If I was able to buy some used/older Flo wheels and want to run tubeless what year would I need? Thanks!!

In theory you can run any of our rims tubeless with the right tubeless set up, BUT our original FLO 60/90/DISC wheels didn't have the U-shaped rim bed that is used for tubeless ready rims. The list of our wheels that have the U-shaped tubeless rim beds are as follows.

2013 - Present
  • FLO 30

May 2016 - Present
  • FLO 60 AC
  • FLO 90 AC
  • FLO DISC AC
  • FLO 45 CC
  • FLO 60 CC
  • FLO 90 CC
  • FLO DISC CC

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much--that's great info!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next