Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels
Quote | Reply
i'm kind of making a wiki post here, based on what i'm hearing below. please post below with updates or corrections on this list here...

------------ HED ------------
Jet 6+: yes
Jet+ Disc: yes
Simply put, the entire "+" line yes.

------------ Bontrager ------------
TKLR Aeolus 9/7/5/3: yes

------------ Easton:
EC90-aero55: yes

------------ ENVE ------------
2.2: yes
3.4 Rim and Disc Brake (new): yes
4.5 Disc Brake: yes
7.8 Rim and Disc Brake: yes
3.4 Rim Brake (old): no
4.5 Rim Brake: no
6.7 (old): no
8.9: no

------------ Boyd ------------
All models except Rouleur

------------ Mavic ------------
Comete: yes
Cosmic: yes
Ksyrium UST Rim and Disc Brake: yes
Aerocoach:
Disc rear: yes (a specified wheel for the Vittoria CS TLR

------------ Nextie ------------
58mm Carbon: yes

------------ Zipp ------------
303 NSW Tubeless Disc brake: yes
404 NSW Tubeless Disc brake: yes
808 NSW Tubeless Disc brake: yes
303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake: yes
404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake: yes
808 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake: yes

------------ Brands Pending Info ------------
Reynolds: pending info
FLO: pending info
Profile Design: pending info
Renn: pending info
Rolf: pending info
Lightweight: pending info

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 1, 18 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a major brand, and they don't make wheels, per se, but I've built up a pair of Nextie 58mm carbon rims that are tubeless ready. I think all of their carbon rims are. And by tubeless ready, I mean with the tubeless channel and the raised valve hole that you can lock down with a nut. When looking for rims last year, there weren't many that were like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boyd
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Sasquatch16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sasquatch16 wrote:
Boyd

Yup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your definition of aero wheels, bontrager is making tubeless ready aluminum clinchers with 50 mm fairings ala HED jets.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Sasquatch16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sasquatch16 wrote:
Boyd

any boyd? all boyd?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of HED Jet 6+ this last summer and run them tubeless. They came with the rim tape and valve stems for tubeless. I used the tape but purchased new valve stems. With aero wheels the valve stems need to have that nut on them which makes airing up the tire WAY easier. I was able to get one rim/tire together with what HED sent but gave up on the other one and bought the long threaded stems from Silica.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager has their TLR Aeolus 9/7/5/3 I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easton's wheels are pretty nice and need no rim strip to set them up tubeless. They check al the boxes and even brake fine for me in the rain.

https://www.eastoncycling.com/...s/ec90-aero55-wheels

Totally forgot to plug a photo of my bike.....not sure what I was thinking. ;)

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 31, 17 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
[..] who's making aero wheels that are tubeless ready? or, maybe it's better to ask it the other way. i'm i safe to assume they're all tubeless ready except the ones you'll help me identify?

I *think* you're asking which manufacturers offer one or more tubeless wheels/rims, but even if a particular manufacturer offers tubeless, you can't assume that "they're all tubeless ready." Enve is a good case in point. You have to specifically check which models are tubeless ready.

The Enve 2.2s are compatible. The old 3.4 (rim brake) is not while the new 3.4 rim brake and 3.4 disc brake versions are tubeless. With the 4.5, the rim brake version is not tubeless but the disc version is. The 6.7s (discontinued) are not. But the new 7.8s are. But wait, the new 8.9s are not. Maybe there is a pattern here but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Sasquatch16 wrote:
Boyd

any boyd? all boyd?

Yes, all our models with the exception of our budget level alloy Rouleur model.

Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Slowman wrote:
[..] who's making aero wheels that are tubeless ready? or, maybe it's better to ask it the other way. i'm i safe to assume they're all tubeless ready except the ones you'll help me identify?

I *think* you're asking which manufacturers offer one or more tubeless wheels/rims, but even if a particular manufacturer offers tubeless, you can't assume that "they're all tubeless ready." Enve is a good case in point. You have to specifically check which models are tubeless ready.

The Enve 2.2s are compatible. The old 3.4 (rim brake) is not while the new 3.4 rim brake and 3.4 disc brake versions are tubeless. With the 4.5, the rim brake version is not tubeless but the disc version is. The 6.7s (discontinued) are not. But the new 7.8s are. But wait, the new 8.9s are not. Maybe there is a pattern here but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Same considerations with Zipp, though so far only their disc brake wheels offer tubeless compatibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i oughta know this but i don't. of the major brands:

HED
zipp
enve
reynolds
FLO
profile design
renn
rolf
bontrager
mavic
lightweight
and those i'm not listing because i'm brain fading

who's making aero wheels that are tubeless ready? or, maybe it's better to ask it the other way. i'm i safe to assume they're all tubeless ready except the ones you'll help me identify?

AeroCoach offers a tubeless disc wheel built specifically to use the Vittoria CS TLR. They have, or will soon be offering an aero front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
I bought a set of HED Jet 6+ this last summer and run them tubeless. They came with the rim tape and valve stems for tubeless. I used the tape but purchased new valve stems. With aero wheels the valve stems need to have that nut on them which makes airing up the tire WAY easier. I was able to get one rim/tire together with what HED sent but gave up on the other one and bought the long threaded stems from Silica.

Are HED Jets officially tubeless? Their website doesn’t (to my knowledge) officially state as such. But you’re not the only one that has posted online about running them tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENVE 2.2, 3.4 and 7.8 rim brake, plus 3.4, 4.5 AR, 5.6 and 7.8 disc.
Mavic Comete, Cosmic and Ksyrium UST in rim and disc.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Dec 31, 17 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
Are HED Jets officially tubeless? Their website doesn’t (to my knowledge) officially state as such. But you’re not the only one that has posted online about running them tubeless.

The entire "Plus" line is "tubeless ready." You're correct that HED does an awful job making this clear. In fact the entire HED Web site is a disaster compared to Flo's site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Sasquatch16 wrote:
Boyd

Edit, didn’t see he posted above.

any boyd? all boyd?

All, see his video on this page. https://www.boydcycling.com/tubeless/
Last edited by: Pwraddr: Dec 31, 17 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, look at American Classic.
And Shimano?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLO

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i oughta know this but i don't. of the major brands:

HED - all of the Jet+ rims are tubeless
zipp - 303 Disc is tubeless (also a completely different rim from the 303 carbon clincher)
enve - all of their current rims except the 4.5 (I think) are tubeless
reynolds - don't know
FLO - their CCs and their "30" aluminum rim are tubeless
profile design - some are tubeless but I don't remember which specifically
renn - don't know
rolf - don't know
bontrager - both their carbon clinchers and their aluminum/carbon hybrids ala HED Jet are tubeless
mavic - their new 50mm carbon clincher with the textured braking surface is tubeless
lightweight - not sure
and those i'm not listing because i'm brain fading

who's making aero wheels that are tubeless ready? or, maybe it's better to ask it the other way. i'm i safe to assume they're all tubeless ready except the ones you'll help me identify?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to everyone:

i've updated my first post to keep track of all these wheels. the reason i'm interested is that i feel it's time we paid some attention to tubeless for triathlon. i've been emailing back and forth with damon rinard and tom anhalt (thanks, you guys!) on what i've been finding are the pleasures and idiosyncracies of tubeless in general (i.e., for gravel, MTB, etc.), in preparation for a series of articles on this. they've helped me better understand this product category.

with vittoria (obviously), schwalbe and others starting to come out with some pretty impressive tubeless tires for road, it didn't seem to me to be relevant without knowledge of whether your prospective (or existing) wheels would accept them. so, thanks for your help in helping me update this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BladeX: it is a small but good manufacturer who is more reliable and higher quality than any other Chinese wheel maker and they have tubeless wheels:

https://www.bladexcycle.com/pro-carbon-cyclocross-cx-wheelset-60mm-disc-brake-tubular-or-clincher

All their wheels are tubeless ready except their disc and 3 spoke wheels.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless ready aero wheels [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been thinking about going tubeless on my jet 6 for a while now. So you had no problem with the nut clamping down on the fairing? The Silca 80s looks like a pretty good option so you don’t have to mess with any extenders. I’ve just always been leary about how much pressure it takes for the nut to seal down against the fairing. How was your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Tubeless ready aero wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the newer Zipp disk brake models (e.g., 202 NSW Carbon Clincher Tubeless Disc brake, 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Tubeless Disc-brake, etc.) up to the 404s are tubeless compatible, but the rim brake models aren't.

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply

Prev Next