Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Hey there!

These trainers are all excellent choices, however it is worth mentioning that the Kickr is the only trainer out of the three that can be calibrated within TrainerRoad. We are still working on the calibration for both the Hammer and the Direto, so they will need to be calibrated within their respective utility apps before you pair them to TrainerRoad.

Enjoy your new trainer!

So in practice this means after calibrating in Rouvy or My E-Training I would get some offset or spin down number and then I'd just plug that number into TrainerRoad somewhere and I'd be good to go, right? At least until calibration for the Hammer or Direto is native within TrainerRoad.

I also get the impression that direct drive trainers don't have to be calibrated as often as wheel on trainers since there aren't as many variables. With my PowerBeam I calibrate every ride, and sometimes more than once a ride. How frequently do you recommend calibrating direct drive trainers, once a week? Month?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Hey there!

These trainers are all excellent choices, however it is worth mentioning that the Kickr is the only trainer out of the three that can be calibrated within TrainerRoad. We are still working on the calibration for both the Hammer and the Direto, so they will need to be calibrated within their respective utility apps before you pair them to TrainerRoad.

Enjoy your new trainer!

So in practice this means after calibrating in Rouvy or My E-Training I would get some offset or spin down number and then I'd just plug that number into TrainerRoad somewhere and I'd be good to go, right? At least until calibration for the Hammer or Direto is native within TrainerRoad.

I also get the impression that direct drive trainers don't have to be calibrated as often as wheel on trainers since there aren't as many variables. With my PowerBeam I calibrate every ride, and sometimes more than once a ride. How frequently do you recommend calibrating direct drive trainers, once a week? Month?

Thanks!

No, you'd use the manufacturer's app, run the calibration, then open TR and pair it. That way the trainer will be reporting correct power (or as correct as it'll ever be) to TR.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
spot wrote:
I pulled the trigger on an Elite Direto with the 20% off Clever Training sale.

Just so I'm not missing anything, the 20% off Clever Training sale a few people have mentioned was the deal from back in November, right? There's no current 20% off as far as I can tell. Though there is the regular 10% off VIP discount.

Even at 10% off, this is the direction I'm leaning.

I had also considered trying to snag one of the reconditioned kickrs, but the thru-axle compatibility isn't ideal until the latest model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it looks like the 20% sale has expired. Therefore, 10% off is the current deal. $810 for the Direto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Hey there!

Enjoy your new trainer!

Thanks!

As Toby mentioned, you will just calibrate in Rouvy or My E-Training and then switch to TrainerRoad and you will be good to go. The calibration data is stored locally on the trainer itself so if you calibrate in a different app, it remains calibrated when switching to TrainerRoad.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

As Toby mentioned, you will just calibrate in Rouvy or My E-Training and then switch to TrainerRoad and you will be good to go. The calibration data is stored locally on the trainer itself so if you calibrate in a different app, it remains calibrated when switching to TrainerRoad.

Cheers!

What is the difference between the in-app spindown calibration of TR for the Hammer versus doing it through Rouvy?

I do the spin down calibration in TR before most of my rides with the Hammer. I assume I should I wait till my next FTP test to do it through Rouvy? Will it change the reported power much?
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [bjbonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjbonner wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Cheers!

What is the difference between the in-app spindown calibration of TR for the Hammer versus doing it through Rouvy?

I do the spin down calibration in TR before most of my rides with the Hammer. I assume I should I wait till my next FTP test to do it through Rouvy? Will it change the reported power much?

From my experience, quite a lot...
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [bjbonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjbonner wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Cheers!

The Hammer will not calibrate with TrainerRoad at this time, so there could be a considerable difference. Some versions of the app have removed the option to calibrate for this reason, however this is not true for all versions. We are working with CycleOps to get the Calibration function up and running, however we do not have an ETA for this feature.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is to always use the trainer specific app to calibrate. Plus, with direct drive trainers, you only need to do this once every few weeks. NEO and Elite Drivo don't require calibration at all.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had Direto since early November and really very happy with it. Using with TR and a bit of Zwift. The calibration in my iPad eTraining app takes about 30 Secondsand I do it every couple of weeks.

Great value.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philg wrote:
bjbonner wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Cheers!

From my experience, quite a lot...

Wait, running the calibration in one app vs another changes the reported power that much?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I can't comment on all the trainers. This fall I went from a CycleOps Pro 300 (spinning bike with lots of adjustability and a PT hub) to a Kickr (with my bike and P1 Pedals). Absolutely love the change, the Kickr is rad. Enjoying trainer road as well.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another trainer decision: Hammer, Direto, or Kickr [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Now I have the Hammer and find that the feel is better the Kickr, much smoother.

The only apps i use with my trainer are Zwift for endurance rides and and Sufferfest. The bummer with Sufferfest and Hammer is that it wont work in erg mode. When i was using sufferfest and zwift in erg mode... that was some serious efforts, loved it.

Can't you control the Hammer in ERG mode through Sufferfest via ANT+ FE-C? The Sufferfest site seems to suggest this:
https://thesufferfest.zendesk.com/...mpatibility#cycleops

I guess it's less convenient than using Bluetooth and your phone, but with one of those ANT usb dongles I imagine it would be straightforward using a labtop.
Quote Reply

Prev Next