Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my understanding too which is why I asked.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
.. if parts last longer than someone expects, maybe they were treated fine .. if parts last much longer than some expect, maybe they were not ridden enough .. this is my blacks rw with 8k mls of riding in all conditions treated with KoolStops Dura Type2 triple compound pads .. scratches only appeared during some of the last rides in winter wet conditions .. to stop and check the pads when a scratch is heard is too late, it's already in ..

.. there are some training wheels, they do their spare work from now on to save the big fun for the spring ..

I have ~10K miles (or, more than double your mileage) on a set ridden in all conditions that doesn't look like that. I've only used KoolStop Black pads with mine though. The triple compound pad has 2 other compounds that are softer than the black compound, and my guess is they are more likely to get stuff embedded in them than the all black pads. Hed recommends to ONLY use black pads with the wheels, and to not use pads that have been used with bare aluminum (which could have embedded shards). That could be the difference...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 2, 18 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
nstearns wrote:
reading that for some people the brake track treatment wore off after riding in wet or wet and sandy weather was enough for me to not spend the money.

This isn't possible, the brake tracks are machined into the aluminum. Mine have 1,000 miles on them just fine, I know a couple people with 10x that many with no wear or discoloration. I would like to see pictures of them, in fact I am sure HED would like to see them more.

It IS possible since although the tracks have the machined grooves, the black color itself isn't a super-hard coating like PEO (i.e. Exalith), but seems to be simple black anodization.

IME, what keeps them black is using only black compound pads (I use Koolstop Black) which tend to be harder and less likely to get stuff embedded in them...plus the initial "bite" with the machined grooves tends to clean them off effectively when using the black pads.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [nstearns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nstearns wrote:
see my response to DFW_Tri. I'm a huge fan of HED and not trying to discredit them, only sharing why I chose a second set of Jet+ wheels over Jet Black wheels.

Interesting regardless. Personally I have always been function over aesthetics. I realize people like the Black look but you should really only get Black if you want better braking. Unless the aesthetic difference is worth 100s of dollars to you.

I haven't had any issue with my blacks like that but I have had my yellow brake pads color them with yellow pad but that is kind of expected and I probably should have swapped out those yellow pads (carbon) but heck the wheels stopped so great I just didn't bother.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [jwmueller21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All pads my blacks saw were brand new .. first salmons were on, they made a red wear on the tracks. Maybe that could be the reason just the black pads are recommended by HED.? .. I tried to wash it up, then I started to like it because braking and modulation was amazing .. they didn't scratch (it was summer) but started squeaking with their lip sometimes after the bike was washed even adjusted with a coin at their rear contact .. a switch to the triple compound narrower pads without the lip worked fine until the last rides. With the coin adjustment the red wear does not occur because the black compound hits the rim first and mostly .. hm, I'll put the black pads on before the training wheels stay at home again .. my idea with the softer pads was, they are softer with grains, too and can be cleaned easier by the track, but it looks like that grains can stuck easier in principle causes the scratches ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Jan 3, 18 0:04
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
nstearns wrote:
see my response to DFW_Tri. I'm a huge fan of HED and not trying to discredit them, only sharing why I chose a second set of Jet+ wheels over Jet Black wheels.

Interesting regardless. Personally I have always been function over aesthetics. I realize people like the Black look but you should really only get Black if you want better braking. Unless the aesthetic difference is worth 100s of dollars to you.

I haven't had any issue with my blacks like that but I have had my yellow brake pads color them with yellow pad but that is kind of expected and I probably should have swapped out those yellow pads (carbon) but heck the wheels stopped so great I just didn't bother.

Agreed on function over aesthetics. I think that the concern was that with losing the color on the brake track, that the brake treatment is being removed. I can't find exact numbers but apparently the brake track treatment is a chemical treatment just under the surface similar to the Mavic Exalith technology. At the time I lived in the bay area, where it rains about 60 days a year and didn't need to worry about the additional braking power.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas- a little off topic here, but do you have any idea why Lionel doesnt ride Hed Blacks? Every picture I seem to come across has him on the originals. If they are a superior product, look better, and cost more, why would HED(whom i presume sponsors him) not require him to race in their top model? Seems like a bad marketing move.
I have the blacks and could not be happier. brake is amazing the look is quite nice too. and track shows zero wear after 2 years.
Just curious if you had any insight.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. all the grains I found during deep inspection stuck in the grey and black compound of the triple pads, strange .. oh, and I forgot a half season on milage, so the Blacks are at 12k mls now .. since they don't look new anymore some time for pad options experiments ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Jan 7, 18 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ vs. Jet Black [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
Thomas- a little off topic here, but do you have any idea why Lionel doesnt ride Hed Blacks? Every picture I seem to come across has him on the originals. If they are a superior product, look better, and cost more, why would HED(whom i presume sponsors him) not require him to race in their top model? Seems like a bad marketing move.
I have the blacks and could not be happier. brake is amazing the look is quite nice too. and track shows zero wear after 2 years.
Just curious if you had any insight.

I actually talked about it at one point in time. Frankly for Lionel, since he does hardly any out door riding, it doesn't matter as much. Even for racing it isn't that bad, it is training you really want the every day stopping power of the Blacks and on the wet days especially. With that still I am not sure why such a big athlete wouldn't be on the Blacks. Maybe it just wasn't worth the hassle. At the time I asked him he wasn't aware of the Blacks and the differences.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next