Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sebi and Wurf were probably trying to get to the front before Hawi so that they could create a gap on the way down.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [InvictaScoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InvictaScoop wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Prety much what I was thinking, Gomez and the Brownlee's are over a minute faster than your McNamee's and even Frodeno used to struggle to finish under a minute on Ali at ITU when he was fit.

Gomez is a different class, I wouldn't bet against him winning Kona at his first attempt.

Even though I'm British and it pains me to say it I don't think the Brownlee's will do too well at long distance. They are too fragile. They are forever bailing out of ITU races through some injury or another including undergoing serious surgery. In fact, that seems to be the way of a lot of the British Triathlon squad. I don't know if it's something to do with the training load, that they all seem to run up on their forefoot or just coincidence, who knows. Alistair in particular is an exceptional one day racer though and if he could focus on a key event he could probably do well but he needs experience first. He was struggling with nutrition in a 70.3.

Gomez is proven to be pretty resilient as he already races lots of distances as well as cross events while still making the start line at a lot of ITU events. He seems pretty consistent and would definitely be scary over 140.6.

Ali seems a lot more injury prone than the other two, although Jonny's just had a really bad year by his standards I don't think there's that much difference between Jonny and Gomez's injury records?

The three of them are phenomenal Swim/Bike/Runners (no weakness) whilst being able to push themselves above and beyond.

To get back to the original post if McNamee is podiuming (who was several league's below/pretty much said in an interview the reason he went long was that it was pointless competing with the Brownlee's around) if the Brownlee's and Gomez all moved up to long next year they all change the game like they did in ITU probably?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMSIMMER32I: I get your point. I might be off, but I get the sense you think I want the draft zone extended at the expense of the swim in order to favour strong bike runners at the expense of complete triathletes. On the contrary, I want the draft zone on the bike lengthened, because I want to see Frodo and Lange chasing Kienle, Sanders, Wurf down right to the end. I want Amberger to have a shot at the podium or possibly to win. I want the excitement and competition that it brings to the sport, look what happened this year. I think the Sebi-Sanders-Wurf express made the race exciting, but it's not likely to always happen as they 're an exception The great all-arounders like TO, the Hoff, TFL are at a disadvantage to Lange-MacNamee and other swim-runners, don't get me wrong they are very good bikers, but their runs would be blunted with a more fair draft zone, which would give guys like TO, TFL, and the Hoff a chance making the race better
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
rlh212 wrote:
Sebi won from the second pack more recently - but interesting info! Will have to find that article...

I had forgotten that it was the next year (2015) that Sebi swam first pack. Apologies. Though one wonders - as with Lange's drafting penalty last year - if the outcome might have been different if Jan had not flatted-and-been-penalized. But regardless, that was a clear omission on my part.

Here's the article: https://www.53x12.com/can-lance-win-in-kona

I don't agree with all of it. But some interesting fodder for discussion in there.

I have read that article before, and in a way it is easeir to get the pacing right on the bike with 4 or so people n a group than with 30 people,as there is less yo yo effect and 350 150 watt changes, and its easier to manage a smaller pack to work well togheter . (at the same time sanders kienle etc did not work that well togheter in the swim ...)
I guess the reason lange won is because he raced very smart and did pace better ( more balanced energy consumption) vs sanders who did a 15 min at 350 watts ( thats too much energy consumption and started the run a bit to fast)
I guess Sanders will look at the race being very happy as it gives him confidence at the same time I would guess he has already realized that this was a race he lost against better race execution.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to agree with that. The ITU guys coming across will have to tailor their execution to suit IM; they won't just be able to smoke the swim and be on gravy from there on.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
To get back to the original post if McNamee is podiuming (who was several league's below/pretty much said in an interview the reason he went long was that it was pointless competing with the Brownlee's around) if the Brownlee's and Gomez all moved up to long next year they all change the game like they did in ITU probably?

I don't think you meant it to be, but the above statement is a little unfair on McNamee. I agree he couldn't compete with the Brownlee's at Oly dist, but I don't think he was "several leagues" below them. He was a solid ITU racer if not a podium contender. But he has shown that he is a podium contender at Kona and maybe that is his forte. He stated in his post kona interview that he deals very well with the heat and humidity and his running economy and efficiency at that distance is incredible. Just because he couldn't compete with the Brownlee's over Olympic distance doesn't mean they will crush him at Ironman, and especially Kona. I think we have to give him a little more credit here.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [InvictaScoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InvictaScoop wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Prety much what I was thinking, Gomez and the Brownlee's are over a minute faster than your McNamee's and even Frodeno used to struggle to finish under a minute on Ali at ITU when he was fit.

Gomez is a different class, I wouldn't bet against him winning Kona at his first attempt.

Even though I'm British and it pains me to say it I don't think the Brownlee's will do too well at long distance. They are too fragile. They are forever bailing out of ITU races through some injury or another including undergoing serious surgery. In fact, that seems to be the way of a lot of the British Triathlon squad. I don't know if it's something to do with the training load, that they all seem to run up on their forefoot or just coincidence, who knows. Alistair in particular is an exceptional one day racer though and if he could focus on a key event he could probably do well but he needs experience first. He was struggling with nutrition in a 70.3.

Gomez is proven to be pretty resilient as he already races lots of distances as well as cross events while still making the start line at a lot of ITU events. He seems pretty consistent and would definitely be scary over 140.6.

I think you might be right. However, one thing that is hard to predict is how ITU wins translate into IM performance. Would you have picked David over Will Clarke or Tim Don as the stand out IM from the UK? Even the great Simon Lessing couldn't crack Kona (although I'm no sure how motivated he was). I think that, unfortunately, being good at Kona has a lot to do with how well you cope with heat. Lessing did pretty well at Lake Placid/Nice (when young). On that front you would have to think that Gomez has a really good chance of doing very well. However, Rio was pretty hot and AB won there. Yes he has had a lot of time out recently but when AB decides to target a race he is very, very hard to beat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next