Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gomez/ McNamee
Quote | Reply
Congrats to David McNamee on his podium. Listening to a finish line interview with him today, it struck me that if a decent ITU swimmer/ runner like him can race smart and get 3rd, is there any way Gomez would have finished lower?

Obviously McNamee has a few more years of 140.6 biking, which is huge. It just got me thinking though - I hope Gomez does it next year.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Congrats to David McNamee on his podium. Listening to a finish line interview with him today, it struck me that if a decent ITU swimmer/ runner like him can race smart and get 3rd, is there any way Gomez would have finished lower?

Obviously McNamee has a few more years of 140.6 biking, which is huge. It just got me thinking though - I hope Gomez does it next year.

I think this year was really one of the most powerful examples of the truth in Michael Ferrari's observations - made when Lance was pondering Kona - that Ironman (and, in particular, Kona) is overwhelmingly a calorie balance equation.

Ultimately, the 5 or so minutes that the second pack gives up to the front pack is basically insurmountable in terms of net energy expenditure. This is increasingly true as the front pack becomes larger. It was close to 30 guys this year.

This is why it's such a huge leap to move from the second pack to the front pack. If you look at the top-placings, 3/10 come from the 2nd pack - Stein, Kienle, and Sanders. And yes, 2/5 for the top-5. On the podium, you had 1/3 - 2nd place - that took the single most extraordinary bike-run performance in, probably, the history of Ironman racing. And it still wasn't enough to overcome the disadvantage out of the water.

If the day had been slower overall, that MIGHT have changed, but it also might not have, as the energy cost on the bike would increase as well and the relative benefit of being in the group as opposed to needing to ride off the front would also go up.

This is why it's not enough simply to become a "better" swimmer; you need to be a front-pack swimmer to win Kona. I would say this year is basically proof of that.

A 2nd-pack swimmer hasn't won Kona since Stadler in 2006. And I would not expect that to change. The handicap of needing to ride that much harder is just insurmountable when it comes to running performance.

I would say that, with Gomez (and possibly Brownlee) coming over - and who knows who else (say Blummenfelt or Murray or any of the other guys that might also choose to make the switch at some point or another), that this dynamic is only going to increase.

I think this year was pretty exceptional with that big group that was willing to gun it off the front - very much a natural sort of Macca-2010-esque dynamic. I think that will be less likely - rather than more likely - to reoccur.

What might change that is if we see someone who is a front-pack swimmer who's willing to go off the front - but I actually think that this is unlikely because the front group is so big and so fresh, that it's unlikely that you would see a breakaway off the front of the 1st pack in the way that you see the group break off the front of the 2nd pack.

TL;DR: Ironman - especially Kona - is a overwhelmingly a race *for the win* of the fastest runner of the fast swimmers who's also a competent biker. This because of basic caloric requirements.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how tall McNamee is?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sebi won from the second pack more recently - but interesting info! Will have to find that article...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His run time included 4 bathroom stops!
Could that have been a 2nd place? Need to watch out for him next year, because he has a winning setup.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starky just won Louisville......so he comes out front pack......and puts upwards of 20 minutes or more into the front pack possibly Amberger there too........and then the second pack train comes through.........you would have to respond accordingly........what happens to the run of these guys then ........doesn't look like pro racing is getting any less exciting anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - Kienle is the only one I can think of as well. Lieto was 2nd, Sanders 2nd, etc. but not winning. Interesting.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

Prety much what I was thinking, Gomez and the Brownlee's are over a minute faster than your McNamee's and even Frodeno used to struggle to finish under a minute on Ali at ITU when he was fit.

Gomez is a different class, I wouldn't bet against him winning Kona at his first attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Prety much what I was thinking, Gomez and the Brownlee's are over a minute faster than your McNamee's and even Frodeno used to struggle to finish under a minute on Ali at ITU when he was fit.

Gomez is a different class, I wouldn't bet against him winning Kona at his first attempt.

Even though I'm British and it pains me to say it I don't think the Brownlee's will do too well at long distance. They are too fragile. They are forever bailing out of ITU races through some injury or another including undergoing serious surgery. In fact, that seems to be the way of a lot of the British Triathlon squad. I don't know if it's something to do with the training load, that they all seem to run up on their forefoot or just coincidence, who knows. Alistair in particular is an exceptional one day racer though and if he could focus on a key event he could probably do well but he needs experience first. He was struggling with nutrition in a 70.3.

Gomez is proven to be pretty resilient as he already races lots of distances as well as cross events while still making the start line at a lot of ITU events. He seems pretty consistent and would definitely be scary over 140.6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

I think this year was really one of the most powerful examples of the truth in Michael Ferrari's observations - made when Lance was pondering Kona - that Ironman (and, in particular, Kona) is overwhelmingly a calorie balance equation.

the "old" guy who finished 7th off his worst ever swim drives this home too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree the swim is very important, for LS at least, I think he lost this race on the initial miles of the run where he went way too hard...resulting in a much slower back half of the marathon than would have been the case if he pace better early on.

No doubt he will improve his chances in the future coming out with the 1st pack, I just don't think it was the cause of his not winning on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
His run time included 4 bathroom stops!
Could that have been a 2nd place? Need to watch out for him next year, because he has a winning setup.

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Patrik Nilsson? I didn't hear anything from McNamee about 4 stops on the Fitter Radio podcast...but Nilsson said he stopped 4 times.

Great race regardless...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

the "old" guy who finished 7th off his worst ever swim drives this home too

"worst"

Worst like a fox! Potts has that crap figured out. I think Lionel's buddy Yann might too. Conserve that energy, stay with the pack and run for dough.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh sorry you're right.

In any case, he's still got it!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was fantastic for sure!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Ultimately, the 5 or so minutes that the second pack gives up to the front pack is basically insurmountable in terms of net energy expenditure. This is increasingly true as the front pack becomes larger. It was close to 30 guys this year.

This is why it's such a huge leap to move from the second pack to the front pack. If you look at the top-placings, 3/10 come from the 2nd pack - Stein, Kienle, and Sanders. And yes, 2/5 for the top-5. On the podium, you had 1/3 - 2nd place - that took the single most extraordinary bike-run performance in, probably, the history of Ironman racing. And it still wasn't enough to overcome the disadvantage out of the water.

If the day had been slower overall, that MIGHT have changed, but it also might not have, as the energy cost on the bike would increase as well and the relative benefit of being in the group as opposed to needing to ride off the front would also go up.

This is why it's not enough simply to become a "better" swimmer; you need to be a front-pack swimmer to win Kona. I would say this year is basically proof of that.

A 2nd-pack swimmer hasn't won Kona since Stadler in 2006. And I would not expect that to change. The handicap of needing to ride that much harder is just insurmountable when it comes to running performance.

I would say that, with Gomez (and possibly Brownlee) coming over - and who knows who else (say Blummenfelt or Murray or any of the other guys that might also choose to make the switch at some point or another), that this dynamic is only going to increase.

I think this year was pretty exceptional with that big group that was willing to gun it off the front - very much a natural sort of Macca-2010-esque dynamic. I think that will be less likely - rather than more likely - to reoccur.

What might change that is if we see someone who is a front-pack swimmer who's willing to go off the front - but I actually think that this is unlikely because the front group is so big and so fresh, that it's unlikely that you would see a breakaway off the front of the 1st pack in the way that you see the group break off the front of the 2nd pack.

TL;DR: Ironman - especially Kona - is a overwhelmingly a race *for the win* of the fastest runner of the fast swimmers who's also a competent biker. This because of basic caloric requirements.

Andy after years of drag racing on his own figured it is not worth it to hammer solo on the swim and then on the bike for a while. Will be interesting to see what Josh thinks. It works at races like Cairns or ITU World's to get the most out of your swim. I do think that Josh's swim speed hurt Lionel and Kienle more than a normal year. If Josh is not there, then the main pack maybe starts a bit slower since Frodo is not trying to stick with Josh...that means at the back of the accordian Kienle and Sanders have a chance to hang on to the tail end longer (or maybe not).

I do think the calorie equation changes dramatically on a hyper windy bike day. Then everyone (pack or not) have higher overall kilojoules spent to T2, neutralizing the stored energy advantage of the front pack swimmer who gets to ride in legal pack for longest. I don't think at 63 kilos that Lange can win on a high wind day like 2004 for example. Faris had made that remark about Crowie in 2012 when they gapped him and even on a moderate wind day like 2010, the some of the same played on the Macca vs Crowie front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would argue that you are correct while the no drafting zone stays at the current distance, but a fair 20m zone would make for a much fairer race and not allow front pack to more or less eliminate second pack swimmers and in my opinion a much better and more exciting race. I think if the draft zone in Ironman does not increase, Kona racing will eventually eliminate all athletes who are not first rate swimmers from challenging for the win no matter how good their bike-run combo is.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spandexboy wrote:
I would argue that you are correct while the no drafting zone stays at the current distance, but a fair 20m zone would make for a much fairer race and not allow front pack to more or less eliminate second pack swimmers and in my opinion a much better and more exciting race. I think if the draft zone in Ironman does not increase, Kona racing will eventually eliminate all athletes who are not first rate swimmers from challenging for the win no matter how good their bike-run combo is.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spandexboy wrote:
I would argue that you are correct while the no drafting zone stays at the current distance, but a fair 20m zone would make for a much fairer race and not allow front pack to more or less eliminate second pack swimmers and in my opinion a much better and more exciting race...
They could even go to 24m for pro's in Kona and still use those reflectors in the road to judge it.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they do that I hope they also eliminate drafting on the swimming. It's a triathlon after all, and it is stupid to make the shortest leg even more invalid and make the longest leg even more important than it already is. After all, it's a 'fair' race you want, right? Perhaps if someone isn't a top level swimmer they don't deserve to win because they aren't really the best multisport athlete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar- “A 2nd-pack swimmer hasn't won Kona since Stadler in 2006.“ ?? What about Kienle in 2014- pretty sure he was in the second pack. Other than that, I agree with your conclusion, and do see the 70.3’s and Ironman becoming more and more like ITU- without legal drafting :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Devashish- “I don't think at 63 kilos that Lange can win on a high wind day like 2004 for example”- are you sure? Have you forgotten how well the tiny Natascha Badmann always rode in heavy winds? That is when she always had her biggest bike gaps, and comparatively she was as small, if not smaller than Lange.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Paul Devashish- “I don't think at 63 kilos that Lange can win on a high wind day like 2004 for example”- are you sure? Have you forgotten how well the tiny Natascha Badmann always rode in heavy winds? That is when she always had her biggest bike gaps, and comparatively she was as small, if not smaller than Lange.

She did cut the tiniest hole through the wind with that nearly barless Cheetah plus Dev probably remembers the amazing coincidence of the the male pro that Natasha always rode hind in those years too;) She was lucky to only get one drafting penalty for that one.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

while i would agree with the energy equation
I think especially sanders could have saved energy on the bike with better pacing and better bike handling skills ( to save energy) he realizes himself that his 15 min on 350 watts wasnt the smartest move. Also in the first 60 k they pushed extremly hard ( and seemed to have killed the guy who had the fastest bike split last year right there )
They could have gone a bit easeir and catch the field a bit later and forcus more on enrgy intake.
Besides it would appear that with sanders leading the 2nd half of the swim they could have gone at least a min faster in the swim ( could woulda of course ) and burn less matches at the bike start and take care more about nutrition intake. ( wurf seems to have been the smartest on the bike and got the best posible result )

I would think with wurf sanders and kienle in the mix it will be just as likely that they ride away next year and likely to include bocherer and again stein next year. also amberger can asses his strategy when to push the bike (and there is a good chance that will lead to a result that he will wait until the fast pack catches up .

moreover there is of course the risk that the competent bike swim runners stuts, get a blocking /drafting penalty and we saw it on tv that lange again was close to get a penalty ( and not becasue he wasnt riding fair but fighting for a good postion in the huge pack ) , and there was another shot where a blue athletes was very close ( could have been fromhold as the camera was behind )

i think if anything sanders and kienle have seen that they can break the pack and it might give then more confidence for next year. and realiticaly while they can improve the pacing a bit they have really no other option than to do the same next year and with a bit more wind and smarter pacing i dont see them at a disadvantage . espcially for sanders that has shown that working on swim has not really affected his bike and run
overall i think we think too much about cyclist versus runner. I think kanute has shown very well that there is many ways to go to rome at the end its about perfect race prep ,execution and a bit of luck. and given that lange will have massive sponsor obligations now , i think sanders will fancy his chances next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez/ McNamee [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rlh212 wrote:
Sebi won from the second pack more recently - but interesting info! Will have to find that article...

I had forgotten that it was the next year (2015) that Sebi swam first pack. Apologies. Though one wonders - as with Lange's drafting penalty last year - if the outcome might have been different if Jan had not flatted-and-been-penalized. But regardless, that was a clear omission on my part.

Here's the article: https://www.53x12.com/can-lance-win-in-kona

I don't agree with all of it. But some interesting fodder for discussion in there.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next