Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there! This is going to be my first 70.3 and I'm super excited. A bit concerned about the weather... I'm going to buy a jacket (windbreaker) and gloves. Maybe toe warmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [N2176T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh.. I didn't think about the fact that Saturday night's low (35 degrees right now) would be a more accurate prediction of the temps on race morning. Damn that is cold.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least it will make the lake feel like bath water!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [Najo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The RDs had to have known the risk of putting a 70.3 in Lake Placid in September. I HIGHLY doubt the swim will be canceled. Yes, the water will be chilly, but getting onto the bike will be the worst part.

I went out Saturday morning and it was 40 when I left my house. I had on a sleeveless jersey, arm warmers, toe covers, gloves and my tri shorts. I was COLD. Being wet is going to make it even worse. Very much contemplating a long sleeve jacket for the bike that I can just ditch. I have some that I can part with and not be too upset :)

Run temps are looking just about perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't disagree, and I hope the swim goes off as planned. However, if water temps dip more and we stay in the low to mid 30's safety will become an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a HIM this past weekend. The water temp was 68 and the air temp was 44. It wasn't terrible. The air did warm up to near 70 by the end of the bike, and the sun was out.

Things I did that seemed to work for me:
- Socks on for the bike (I normally go bare-foot).
- Plastic baggies over socks inside bike shoes. Really helped to block the wind, as my tri-bike shoes are well-vented; the extra thickness wasn't an issue when biking.
- Thin merino wool long-sleeve over tri-top on the bike. This was a marginal aero-penalty but I was warm enough on the bike. Helped absorb and evaporate some residual water from the swim.

Things I would have done differently:
- Have a pair of shoes available to walk down from transition to the swim start. Walking on the cold dewy grass barefoot was very uncomfortable.
- Have a pair of shoes available to run from water to transition - cold dewy grass was cold.

Things I saw others do that looked interesting:
- Plastic bag inside tri-top to block wind on the bike. Bag can be discarded / tucked in back-pocket once you're warm enough.
- Taped air vents on helmet to completely block wind.
- Skull cap under helmet to keep head warm.

Things I saw people do that may have been overkill:
- Wind/Rain jacket - big aero penalty / annoyance
- "Yoga Pants" / full knickers on the bike - results may vary, but once things warm up, could be uncomfortable for the long ride.

Things I debated over:
- Full finger gloves. I had planned to wear them, but at the last minute decided against them. I didn't regret it. Others that had gloves commented how difficult it was to open gels / pick up on-course bottle hand-ups.

Something I noticed:
- The adrenaline from finishing the swim and running to T1 made it feel as if it wasn't too cold outside. I almost didn't put on the long sleeve jersey as it felt like it was warm enough to go without. I'm glad I did as I knew it was cold while on the bike as the top of my thighs had that burning feeling (like when you take a hot shower when you're really cold) for the first 10 miles. For Lake Placid especially, the wind-chill down to Keene will be intense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neoprene swim cap or just double up on the latex?

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bx3 wrote:
I did a HIM this past weekend. The water temp was 68 and the air temp was 44. It wasn't terrible. The air did warm up to near 70 by the end of the bike, and the sun was out.

Things I did that seemed to work for me:
- Socks on for the bike (I normally go bare-foot).
- Plastic baggies over socks inside bike shoes. Really helped to block the wind, as my tri-bike shoes are well-vented; the extra thickness wasn't an issue when biking.
- Thin merino wool long-sleeve over tri-top on the bike. This was a marginal aero-penalty but I was warm enough on the bike. Helped absorb and evaporate some residual water from the swim.

Things I would have done differently:
- Have a pair of shoes available to walk down from transition to the swim start. Walking on the cold dewy grass barefoot was very uncomfortable.
- Have a pair of shoes available to run from water to transition - cold dewy grass was cold.

Things I saw others do that looked interesting:
- Plastic bag inside tri-top to block wind on the bike. Bag can be discarded / tucked in back-pocket once you're warm enough.
- Taped air vents on helmet to completely block wind.
- Skull cap under helmet to keep head warm.

Things I saw people do that may have been overkill:
- Wind/Rain jacket - big aero penalty / annoyance
- "Yoga Pants" / full knickers on the bike - results may vary, but once things warm up, could be uncomfortable for the long ride.

Things I debated over:
- Full finger gloves. I had planned to wear them, but at the last minute decided against them. I didn't regret it. Others that had gloves commented how difficult it was to open gels / pick up on-course bottle hand-ups.

Something I noticed:
- The adrenaline from finishing the swim and running to T1 made it feel as if it wasn't too cold outside. I almost didn't put on the long sleeve jersey as it felt like it was warm enough to go without. I'm glad I did as I knew it was cold while on the bike as the top of my thighs had that burning feeling (like when you take a hot shower when you're really cold) for the first 10 miles. For Lake Placid especially, the wind-chill down to Keene will be intense.

Most helpful, thank you for these.

May have to dig out those ugly Vibram 5 toes I got for Escape Alcatraz and use'em on race morning for the swim / run to T1 (if we end up having it).

Agreed w/everyone on water temps, they'll be just balmy. Wind chill on bike will most likely be the limiting factor that morning

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
At IM Lake Tahoe a couple years ago, air temps were in the 40s, as I recall. The swim wasn't so bad, but the start of the bike was miserable. I put on a speedsuit top and gloves. They made arrangements for a clothing drop part way through the bike.

Tahoe 2013 I was chipping ice off my pedals before the race start. Air temp was reported 34 at the start, water temp was 62. I much preferred being in the water that morning!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [dsimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsimo wrote:

Water temp is 69, that is almost warm... I wouldn't worry about the water temp.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
dsimo wrote:

Water temp is 69, that is almost warm... I wouldn't worry about the water temp.

There is no way Mirror Lake is 69. I know they posted it miraculously went from 65 to 69, the cold temps at night will already have it back down to 65 and maybe lower. Cold rainy days will keep it down. Regardless of water temp, it will feel warm compared to the air temp.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough but my point stands. I wouldn't bother considering doubling up swim caps until we start talking sub-60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just posted on the IMLP 70.3 FB page that the water temp is now 63. Likely going to drop by Sunday given the forecast.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [jpboris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got out of Mirror Lake a couple hours ago, and it wasn't too bad. I wore a latex cap, and had a little bit of brain freeze for a minute or two at the beginning. The water is only going to get colder. So I just went to Bicycle Planet (LBS), and got a Neoprene cap to be safe. They told me they just stocked up for what could be a mad rush come this weekend. I kinda wonder how the athletes coming from the South are going to handle the colder temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [dsimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did Maine 70.3 where the water temp was 60.something. Double latex was just fine but I bet I could have done with one. It was my feet I worried about and only because I am a two beat kicker. They eventually gained feeling back by mile 10 on the bike. Hands were a bit rough but a bottle of warm water in T1 helped me feel better about that. I used the water on my hands only so I could use my brakes.

I can't wait to watch everyone whilst enjoying a hot cup of coffee! stay warm

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [exerciseaddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you mean Placid Planet? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the conventional wisdom with this race?

WTC does not renew Syracuse 70.3 when their contract is up and move LP 70.3 to mid June w/ better weather?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this Bx3. Gonna start packing now, referring back to your post while I stuff the tri bag.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the official WTC rules on neoprene caps and booties? I know you can wear booties if the water is below 65 (which it clearly will be) be don't know the policy on caps.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
What is the conventional wisdom with this race?

WTC does not renew Syracuse 70.3 when their contract is up and move LP 70.3 to mid June w/ better weather?

I think it still contends with MT 70.3 and the water temp is still chilly through mid-June I think. The fact that both LP 70.3 & Maine 70.3 sold out makes me bet it'll stay for now.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid 70.3 - Who is IN? [jpboris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the race briefing this afternoon and they said you can wear booties and as many caps as you like as long as the race one is on top.
Quote Reply

Prev Next