Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vuelta Stage 7: Rollers and 3x Cat III [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just seen this link, with some vertical climb information from Stage 5

https://twitter.com/...s/900474572037918720

Using Mike Woods' power file, estimates seem to be the top guys were putting out > 7W/kg on the climb, for 4 - 5min

Strava file here https://www.strava.com/activities/1148526656

That is just incredible.

The power (W/kg) these guys put out day in day out, 5-6hr days, is bonkers.

PS Sure, someone will be along to tell us how Lionel Sanders could do better
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 7: Rollers and 3x Cat III [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great finish today. And that tall dude crossing it up on the speed bump was awesome !
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 7: Rollers and 3x Cat III [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Great finish today. And that tall dude crossing it up on the speed bump was awesome !

You gotta hand it to Froome. While in the TdF he may have been criticized for largely "sitting in and wating for the TT" here at the Vuelta, he is pouring it on and attacking like he's Eddy Merckx at every opportunity. Maybe he was pacing things out for the double during LeTour while guys like Bardet, Aru, and Barguil were going full gas. Again, it really looked like Contador was overgeared and was bogged down cranking at low RPM while Froome and Nieve were spinning away. As soon as Froome attacked, Contador had not gears to wind it up (and Woods did have more gearing available)

Awesome ride by Woods. There steep short climbs really do line up with his track runner heritage. It really was a great stage to watch....at least the final 1 hour or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 7: Rollers and 3x Cat III [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You gotta hand it to Froome. While in the TdF he may have been criticized for largely "sitting in and wating for the TT" here at the Vuelta, he is pouring it on and attacking like he's Eddy Merckx at every opportunity.
He's winning me over. The Sky train helps, but he is a cut above the other GC riders.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 7: Rollers and 3x Cat III [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
You gotta hand it to Froome. While in the TdF he may have been criticized for largely "sitting in and wating for the TT" here at the Vuelta, he is pouring it on and attacking like he's Eddy Merckx at every opportunity.

He's winning me over. The Sky train helps, but he is a cut above the other GC riders.

froome is a victim of his own success. between his TT dominance (among GC guys), climbing strength and team strength, he just doesn't need to attack to win the overall so he's seen as boring. the reality is he has shown on occasions that he does have the strength, skills and tactics to attack in all kinds of ways and look after himself too when he needs to or can without risking the big picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 7: Rollers and 3x Cat III [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I agree that the Sky train helps, but all the GC guys have the right to sit in just behind Sky and get exactly the same draft even though they can't control what the train is doing. Bottom line, everyone got to the base together drafting the Sky and Cannondale pulls, so had no excuse to not beat Froome to the top, other than not having the legs he had. And I know I said it elsewhere, multiple times, but it seems like Sky is one of the few teams using the full 32 teeth of rear cluster gearing that is available to wind it up on these climbs. The other guys are largely all bogged down and Froome can just wind it up and gap people. It's almost like Sky's attention to detail or the egos of the other guys/stupidity of other team (or a combo of both) is handing it to Sky on these steep ones. Woods did seem to have suitable gearing though.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 7: Rollers and 3x Cat III [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
Do you think it's absolute weight that matters for TTing vs. climbing or BMI?

I guess Contador is lighter than Bardet and Aru because they are taller. But because they are taller but still are climbers, their BMI is lower than contadors.

On the uphill it's pretty much power to weight that counts.
In a flat TT it's a bit more complicated because of lesser frontal drag of shorter guys vs. more absolute power of bigger guys. And then the absolute power is often an advantage.

I find that very interesting. I am more of a runners guy and prefer uphill riding. And when I get too close to Bardet/Aru weight I suffer on the flats in Duathlons because of not enough absolute power.

It is also interesting for me, how Wiggins could possibly lose so much weight for the Tour in 2012 and then still won Olympic TT gold.
I mean the weightloss was probably supported by TUEs. But was that also helpful in maintaining power?

In his book about 2012 he states how he was very careful about what he ate. Only fueling hard workouts for example and otherwise let the tank empty.

there are a lot variables beyond just height and weight which makes it difficult to draw simple categories like that.

without implying anything... cortisone which wiggins is infamous for is known to allow weight loss without losing muscle power. wiggins was never a fly-weight though and won the tour through TTs and TT-style climbing on what was a relatively gentle route.
if i recall correctly, cancellara crashed in the RR and rode the TT injured so Tony Martin was the only big competition. the biggest surprise medal was froome's bronze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. It's strongest rider (reasons not withstanding), strongest team (reasons not withstanding), most prepared team, best executed plan.

As much as I don't really like Sky no one is doing anything to help themselves.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:

And there was a wheelie the day before?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next