Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder who Sutto respects or thinks does it the right way with coaching. It's like every time a read a blog or someone talks about a philosophy, it's "coaches always do it the wrong way they should be doing this".

And maybe he sings high praises of ppl and I just didn't hear or read it, but man ole man sometimes Sutto to me seems to have this "get off my lawn" approach; that no one else is doing it right out there.

Which is why I sorta laughed when you said there are million ways to do something and have success but basically seemed to be the opposite of what Sutto was saying. Hell there are itu coaches who have athletes in Olympics and won't coach them in pool always.....(the horror...I guess that's even worse then not paying attention to them in warm up).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago Sutton mentioned that he really respected Ben Hoffman and how he did things. I think this was before Hoffman's second place in Kona.

I too, like yourself, was a bit shocked that Sutton was giving another person praise/respect that he had never directly worked with.

Edit: Sorry my memory has gone to shit, it was right after Ben's second place that Sutton wrote this article:

http://trisutto.com/...performance-of-2014/
Last edited by: mdgreene: Aug 17, 17 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Was expecting "don't molest teenage girls" advice. :-)

X2. I wish he would just go away forever. I guess I can be happy that there is one less sexual predator in the USA.

Wow, some people never can let go....

It's either that they are directly affected or feel the need to projecting something else they feel guilty about....

Folks who have been physically abused are never able to let go what happened. It is always there.
I suspect the people who are disgusted by his actions likely have children they think about having stuff done to them (as I do). Crimes of a sexual nature REALLY piss me off as they are so egregious. It is stuff that stays with you forever. Stuff you wake up in the middle of the night screaming, stuff that nightmares are made of.

So yeah, some folks can't look the other way on certain things, I think that is ok. Just as I have come around to not being so disgusted with how many people look up to this guy as some sort of demi-god. And don't even get me started on the doc moniker. So yeah, I think it is fine to say he is a good coach, just as it is fine to bring up what he did in the past. They are both parts of who he is.
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I self coach. So basically I lie to myself?

Good to know, I'll tell that filthy liar to shut up and do work.
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no you didnt...
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously though, I don't know all the facts, just what I've read, and I'm conflicted by it because I like to read Sutton's posts and I have been helped by more than one of them, so what do you really do with a guy like this. I don't know the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:

Ha. I coach myself - so I have a fool for a coach, and a fool for an athlete. But at least my coach works for cheap..

'lie' isn't quite the right term, but agree that the benefit of a good coach is to see when the athlete is deluding themself..
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had a few emails last night from my athletes that feel concern an d targeted by this post !!!!!

i think the message need to be taken with a grain of salt.... to put it simply.

the higher the level of fatigue...the more a athlete lose it s objectivity. as a coach...don't rely on a tired athlete to tell you accurately how much is left in the tank! Use a combination of other data, observation and experience to make the call for them!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:

I am self coached also.

I believe that this is in fact the primary benefit of a coach.

The coach is someone who is watching you, sometimes protecting you from your self, sometimes encouraging you to do more, sometimes observing mistakes you aren't aware you are making.

I can't see how a coach can do any of these things just by looking at TrainingPeaks data.

And I can't afford to have someone following me around.

Thus no coach.

The question is thus:
As self-coached athletes how do we manage to see through our own lies?

Good data is good....
But there is so much bad data.
And data can be interpreted so many ways.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Aug 17, 17 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you target me at swim practice. it works. I swim faster now. #caseclosed

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
racehd wrote:

I am self coached also.

I believe that this is in fact the primary benefit of a coach.

The coach is someone who is watching you, sometimes protecting you from your self, sometimes encouraging you to do more, sometimes observing mistakes you aren't aware you are making.

I can't see how a coach can do any of these things just by looking at TrainingPeaks data.

And I can't afford to have someone following me around.

Thus no coach.

The question is thus:
As self-coached athletes how do we manage to see through our own lies?

Good data is good....
But there is so much bad data.
And data can be interpreted so many ways.

For me it's by getting injured whenever I feel the need to 'push through or harder'. If you feel something wrong, take it easier or stop and walk it in. My injuries have nearly always arisen from running, when my running is going well, and when I feel like I might be able to take it a step further, and then I get a little niggle, but keep pushing.

The best data I have is how I feel and trusting in that. I'm not sure how a coach can be better at determining how I feel. They could certainly possibly be better at making decisions on training sessions based on how I feel, but I only I know truly how I feel. It's just about having the ability to make the right decision based on how I feel.
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I wonder who Sutto respects or thinks does it the right way with coaching. It's like every time a read a blog or someone talks about a philosophy, it's "coaches always do it the wrong way they should be doing this".

And maybe he sings high praises of ppl and I just didn't hear or read it, but man ole man sometimes Sutto to me seems to have this "get off my lawn" approach; that no one else is doing it right out there.

Which is why I sorta laughed when you said there are million ways to do something and have success but basically seemed to be the opposite of what Sutto was saying. Hell there are itu coaches who have athletes in Olympics and won't coach them in pool always.....(the horror...I guess that's even worse then not paying attention to them in warm up).

Exactly. I tend to switch off when someone has that kind of attitude. Nothing wrong with pushing your ideas and even being an authoritarian coach, but insisting you're right and everyone else is wrong is just bone-headed and ignorant.
Last edited by: zedzded: Aug 17, 17 18:24
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

X2. I wish he would just go away forever. I guess I can be happy that there is one less sexual predator in the USA.

It's either that they are directly affected or feel the need to projecting something else they feel guilty about....

I think it's the fact that he's a tool that ensures his history keeps on coming up. Perhaps if he wasn't so arrogant and opinionated people would have forgotten long ago what he got up to. He doesn't come across as a particularly likeable bloke, making it very easy for people to not forget. You're a great bloke, you can run over a group of schoolkids roaring drunk and people will forgive and forget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As i said many times.... you need to understand that he as a internet persona. it s entertaining to criticize. Very much like paulo did on slowtwitch for many years.

Both of them had very good message to pass along..but the delivery wasnt everyone cup of tea. personally, i can roll with it and it dosnt bother me.

Brett as great respect and admiration for Lothar Leader, Siri, Darren smith, Greg Bennett, Simon Whitfield, Peter Reid, Craig Alexander, etc..... he would talk highly of many people. Those might not come as much in interviews but he definitely had athletes and coach he respected. That said, it would not stop him from criticizing them at time...

i sure dont agree with everyting he says...but it dosnt stop me from listening when he talk

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

well, i fall into neither of those two categories. i just have a real problem with the rape of minors.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have to call something "world class" its not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

There are a million coaches out there, yet for some reason people continue to support one that has a well known criminal past. It isn't a question of people not letting go, it is a question of why people actively seek to work with, and admire, a sexual predator. I mean Jerry Sandusky was a decent football coach, but I am not going to start a thread about his coaching tips.

It is either that they are blinded by "success" or feel perhaps they are projecting their own beliefs on sexual assault.
Last edited by: The Guardian: Aug 19, 17 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: The best advice i received from world class coach Brett Sutton...... [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
windschatten wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

There are a million coaches out there, yet for some reason people continue to support one that has a well known criminal past. It isn't a question of people not letting go, it is a question of why people actively seek to work with, and admire, a sexual predator. I mean Jerry Sandusky was a decent football coach, but I am not going to start a thread about his coaching tips.

It is either that they are blinded by "success" or feel perhaps they are projecting their own beliefs on sexual assault.

Not very many people "support" Sutton, but like most geniuses he happens to be crazy. Just because he's crazy and does crazy things doesn't mean there isn't some value in gleaning knowledge from people like him. Just use the bad behavior as a role model of how not to behave. See? Now it's a win/win.
Quote Reply

Prev Next