Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I have a stress fracture. [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish :(

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Is there not some simple surgery to go in there and weld it up? I mean, if we can fuse vertebrae, why not bones in your feet?[/reply]

No. First thing I always tell my surgery patients: "The definition of minor (or simples as you put it) surgery is surgery on somebody else" ;)

Sure, I can fuse any two bones together with enough hardware and TIME - but it wouldn't be any faster (and likely much slower) than healing the stress fx in the first place. There are a couple of very rare exceptions here though (i.e. Navicular stress fx) that recent evidence suggests may actually heal faster with surgery (as they are notoriously slow to heal). Tibial and metatarsal stress fractures usually respond very well to conservative treatment (but not the triathletes they are attached too) :)

Quote | Reply
well yeah, a nice metal rod but with airport security these days it's no fun and taking a last shot at some major time off versus surgery, well surgery and the knives involved lost out for some reason;)
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...Water run....and bike if it doesn't hurt...that will help your fitness Not specific, but it will help and you will start not that far back.
good luck.

--------------------------------------------
Team Shorttwitch Captain
--------------------------------------------

Water running is very specific to running- A study was conducted several years ago with 10K runners-- for one month they were not allowed to run on land - only in the water for 45 mins sessions. At the end of the month none of them lost speed on the 10K run and some of them actually got a little faster. Water is like a 3 dimentional wt. room or an isokinetic weight machine-- the harder you push in the water the harder it pushes back-- and you are getting functional training along the path of the motion of the run-- therefore strenthening the muscles with which you perform the action of running--Getting incredible trunk focus-- and the beauty-- NO IMPACT!! More of us should be spending time in the water doing both deep (no impact) and shallow water runs (shallow water defined is below the xyphoid process-- nipple line--and is low impact- the deeper you are submerged the lighter the impact)--if you run in shallow water--wear some old shoes for traction and to protect your feet.

my $0.2
:)
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [beppie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the issue is when you run longer distances. you want to get used to some pounding. besides, it can't be very specific as there is no way you can simulate the eccentric contractions of the calves when water running.
Last edited by: Francois: Dec 3, 05 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the issue is when you run longer distances. you want to get used to some pounding. besides, it can't be very specific as there is no way you can simulate the excentric contractions of the calves when water running.

Not saying that water running can replace land running, regardless of the distance--absolutely cannot!-- but to give the body a different stimuli for functional training and to take the body out of gravity it is great--you are right- it is very difficult to get any eccentric contractions with water work --if you run in shallow water you will get some eccentric response--more the shallower you go--BUT especially for someone with ortho issues-- get in the water to continue or maintain training.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...then that sews up the first part of my post...

Something is probably off, as SAC noted, then...shoes, recovery, something...
Quote Reply

Prev Next