Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I have a stress fracture.
Quote | Reply
**tears**

I had one this summer in my fibula, this one is in the 4th metatarsal of my right foot. I know the drill - 6wks of no running. I was supposed to start marathon training again this Sunday :(

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 2, 05 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear. Are you eating OK? Watch out for the female athlete triad if you are restricting calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that...unfortunately for you, there is no swim and bike before, so there is no need to attempt it...but know that others here had to deal with this (i was the last one I think)..
Good luck...see with an orthopedic surgeon if you can get a bone growth stimulator (exogen is the name if I remember) and do some water running...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh..misread...you were starting training...
ok...Water run....and bike if it doesn't hurt...that will help your fitness.
Not specific, but it will help and you will start not that far back.
good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim too.

thanks for the tip about the bone growth stimulator, I'd never heard of that before.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh shit, Im sure sampson will have something to say about your supposed stress fracture.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just hope none of your friends will talk about your 'boner stimulator' ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [Trey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eating fine, getting enough calories -I've gained a little weight since I started college, actually - and enough calcium. Nutrition isn't to blame, I've got new shoes, haven't actually been running that many miles... it's just one of those freak things.

Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for making me smile

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was meant for the stinkz frenchman ;)

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. I guess your 30,000/wk isn't in any danger of dropping then. Might be a good time to start riding more.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is this a result of the 23 mile fun run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. Be sure to take the time off and try not to rush it. I had a stress fracture in my left tibia last year and it took forever to get better because I wouldn't listen, I was hard headed!

Swim more (although I couldn't push off the wall) or spend more time with your bike.

Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might have started it, I guess, but it came on very suddenly: I had no pain until this morning at mile 12 of a 15miler. I know it could have been a little cracked from the 23 and not enough to feel it, and then running this week (7, 11, 12, 15) probably did it in.

Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [vols fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam today and pushed off with one foot. Kind of hard to do!

Biking would hurt it at this point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have your second stress fracture, it seems you keep doing something wrong.Try to find what it is. Your coach must have a pretty good guess.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your sport background? We often see rashes of these types of injuries in new Marine recruits...more and more with each passing year and more sedentary youth habits...Sometimes it makes it hard to get them up to the level we need to in the short 3 months of boot camp. Lots of injury retreads

If you are just starting the first real heavy training of your life...you might be one who really needs to take it slowly and let your bones and soft tissues come up to speed.

Either that, or, like SAC said, you've got something strange going on...find someone who can help figure it out.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't use the word strange!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
may not make you feel any better but my best friend, former gf, has had two fractures all damn year long. Two in the right tibia. She took a lot of time off though. Kept some cycling up for most of it and didn't run much if at all for many months. Damn things won't go away. So now no running for 3 months. Funny thing is she had some of her best races ever later in the year racing with zero run miles per week...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, stay off it for at least six weeks.

I'd seriously consider shifting your focus - less running and more cycling or/and swmming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We often see rashes of these types of injuries in new Marine recruits...more and more with each passing year and more sedentary youth habits..."

Just curious TBG, is what you are saying is that generally the recruits nowadays are less fit than previously?
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there not some simple surgery to go in there and weld it up? I mean, if we can fuse vertebrae, why not bones in your feet?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a stress fracture. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh I will. Hurts to much to even walk on it right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Competitive swimming for freshman - junior year in high school

XC in middle school

road races (15k) in high school

marathon, freshman year of college

Quote Reply

Prev Next