Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero road bike options [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - more questions. Do you want one bike to do it all and also race in triathlons?

Why not just keep the TT/Tri bike if you have one, and buy a road bike?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's hard to justify an aero road bike on performance reasons unless you're racing in road events where you're expecting to spend significant amounts of time with your nose in the wind. If you already have a decent road bike (and yours is that) and want something to use for TTs or tris then I'd say you're better off just buying a TT bike.

If you're in the market for a second road bike either because you have money to spend and want a new toy, and/or because you want to run 2 bikes so that you can have one with chunkier tyres for wet/winter riding, and one you keep for nice days and faster rides, then the modern aero road bikes are awesome. My upgrade was a fair bit bigger than yours, my old road bike is a 2004 aluminium Lemond Alpe d'Huez, with a fairly recent 105 10 speed upgrade. Even so, when I run it with decent wheels and tyres, it's still a great bike and there's no real difference to the Aeroad when climbing. Where the Aeroad differentiates itself is on fast flat sections or non-technical descents where the aero really comes into it's own. I don't think I could ever justify buying it for that reason, but I was due a new bike and I love getting out on the Aeroad so worth every penny!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bike options [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's my thinking...one bike to do it all and also participate in 3-4 tri's a year. That being said, about 95% of my riding is done indoors since where I live isn't very conducive to safe riding outdoors.

I had a road and TT bike, then just recently sold the TT bike so I now have the road bike only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to offer a counterpoint to the thoughts on the AR rear brake, I haven't had any issues with it using two wheelsets - a 20/24 set of Flo60 cc and a 24/28 set of pacenti sl23. I put an inline quick release when I built it to make it easy for wheel removal. No abnormal maintenance issues in 2 years and about 4000 of mostly fair weather riding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next