Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I predict that the ASO adds a Ventoux TT. That's basically a 1 hour TT and the biggest chance to give Bardet and for that matter Barguil an opening on Froome.

Why do you think Froome would not win this? Sky would have training camps there, and Froome would be hammering the course on a Kickr ergo for months beforehand until they knew he was putting out more watts /kg than anyone else was capable of.

Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
I predict that the ASO adds a Ventoux TT. That's basically a 1 hour TT and the biggest chance to give Bardet and for that matter Barguil an opening on Froome.

Why do you think Froome would not win this? Sky would have training camps there, and Froome would be hammering the course on a Kickr ergo for months beforehand until they knew he was putting out more watts /kg than anyone else was capable of.

It's less important if Froome wins a mythical Ventoux TT. On this 1 hour TT, Bardet looses less time than he lost today. He should be close to Froome
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I saw Jens Voight mentioned earlier as someone who raced clean against Rasmussen. It wasn't in pink and that threw me. We do know he raced with CSC, right?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Thought I saw Jens Voight mentioned earlier as someone who raced clean against Rasmussen. It wasn't in pink and that threw me. We do know he raced with CSC, right?

LOL....I thought it was so obvious that I did not need to put that in pink!!!
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That'd be the doper Rasmussen: surely the worst TT ever.//

The Chicken, I loved that guy!! Just out of curiosity, who were the clean guys again he raced against in his entire career???

Ask moonmonkey! He said it. I stated all were dopers so just enjoy the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll bite. I can't help myself.
I believe that 99% of the peloton at the time of Lance etc were doping, but not all of them were.
I think that Bradley McGee was 100% clean, and I also think that he was a pretty amazing athlete to be as competitive as he was for a clean rider. Mind you, the circumstances under which he could be competitive were very limited (prologues, track 4000m pursuits, the first week of grand tours for a stage win that sort f thing).
If he were clean, I wonder where he would have placed in a clean field?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Neither Alpe d'Huez nor Ventoux were used today. I predict that the ASO adds a Ventoux TT. That's basically a 1 hour TT and the biggest chance to give Bardet and for that matter Barguil an opening on Froome. Add a short 12K opening TT and the ASO have "two TT's", but in reality all they are doing is putting in a mountain top finish on a short stage that is equivalent to any of these climbers going on a solo breakaway. I could even see them making the first TT a TTT with all of the funny math to limit losses. AG2R should be OK at this. If they have the TTT + a Ventoux ITT, Aru, Bardet, a rested Quintana, Uran, Landa...all these guys can compete with Froome. Save this posting because its going to happen. The ASO will want a French champion (and they really have a chance on the right format) and set up the course for that.

That's my prediction either a nominal prologue or TTT, plus an uphill or mountain TT. We have seen this year how ASO will push the rules as far as they can get away with to help the French riders. I can see Sky picking up a young French talent soon. I sure Brailsford said he would like to win one day with a French rider and it might have positive pr effects among the roadside French fans.

Shame as I thought with the right course with just enough TT'ing and mountain finishes could create a great Froome, Tommy D vs the pure climbers show down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well thew whole experience is now complete.

I got to ride a team car during TT warm up yesterday to do some product testing. Then I was lucky enough to get a spot in the car for the actual race. I followed Zeits. Whoever thinks that course is not technical needs to give it a try. I feared for the life of spectators as the car just flew around some pretty damn tight corners.

I saw a Bahrain guy pretty close to drafting. Zeits caught him and we were stuck behind the Bahrain car and I know what 10m is and well....it was like a typical AGer triathlete 10m :-)

But to complete the experience, we had doping control in the bus when Fabio came back. He couldn't pee so they followed him around until he could.

We topped it off with some post race "beverages" and off they go. They fly to Paris this morning while I make my way to Girona to test some guys over there.

For the round water bottle issue : Some of the guys use a round bottle in warm up and they swap to an aero bottle during the race. One guy was about to leave and I though "OMG, Dev can't see this", I pointyed it out to the mechanic and they fixed in in a few seconds. Crisis averted, Dev won't have to comment.

It's a friggin zoo the day of the TT. It's amazing more mistakes are not made. I saw a ton of them. Not only that, the riders are toast. One guys was showing me his power files for training and racing and how beat up they are. They can't get their HR up by the end.

It was an experience
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the posts! (When is Dan going to add a function for "liking" posts?)

RE HR, that's normal; would also be interesting to know how much power is down (usually much less than HR).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it looked like most of the top guys in the TT were using a 50mm front rim? I was surprised they chose a 50 over an 80mm. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Thanks for the posts! (When is Dan going to add a function for "liking" posts?)

RE HR, that's normal; would also be interesting to know how much power is down (usually much less than HR).

While warming up, one guy told me that if fresh he would go 430-450ish and he would probably hit 380 because of the fatigue. He averaged 399 and seemed happy.

Another rider showed me his file. He was 20 watts less than we wanted and HR was really low. He averaged 163HR, max 177 and he said he should have averaged what his max was.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Well thew whole experience is now complete.

I got to ride a team car during TT warm up yesterday to do some product testing. Then I was lucky enough to get a spot in the car for the actual race. I followed Zeits. Whoever thinks that course is not technical needs to give it a try. I feared for the life of spectators as the car just flew around some pretty damn tight corners.

I saw a Bahrain guy pretty close to drafting. Zeits caught him and we were stuck behind the Bahrain car and I know what 10m is and well....it was like a typical AGer triathlete 10m :-)

But to complete the experience, we had doping control in the bus when Fabio came back. He couldn't pee so they followed him around until he could.

We topped it off with some post race "beverages" and off they go. They fly to Paris this morning while I make my way to Girona to test some guys over there.

For the round water bottle issue : Some of the guys use a round bottle in warm up and they swap to an aero bottle during the race. One guy was about to leave and I though "OMG, Dev can't see this", I pointyed it out to the mechanic and they fixed in in a few seconds. Crisis averted, Dev won't have to comment.

It's a friggin zoo the day of the TT. It's amazing more mistakes are not made. I saw a ton of them. Not only that, the riders are toast. One guys was showing me his power files for training and racing and how beat up they are. They can't get their HR up by the end.

It was an experience

Thanks for these postings. It is pretty cool. I am always amazed by the skill of both the car and motodrivers and that very few get hurt. The camera moto guys are just insane! ....and glad to know that the best way to divert an aero crisis is have someone from ST keeping these guys honest. Maybe ASO needs to deploy one ST aero geek per team bus!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
McNulty wrote:

LOL....I thought it was so obvious that I did not need to put that in pink!!!

phew.......thanks
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Neither Alpe d'Huez nor Ventoux were used today. I predict that the ASO adds a Ventoux TT. That's basically a 1 hour TT and the biggest chance to give Bardet and for that matter Barguil an opening on Froome. Add a short 12K opening TT and the ASO have "two TT's", but in reality all they are doing is putting in a mountain top finish on a short stage that is equivalent to any of these climbers going on a solo breakaway. I could even see them making the first TT a TTT with all of the funny math to limit losses. AG2R should be OK at this. If they have the TTT + a Ventoux ITT, Aru, Bardet, a rested Quintana, Uran, Landa...all these guys can compete with Froome. Save this posting because its going to happen. The ASO will want a French champion (and they really have a chance on the right format) and set up the course for that.

That's my prediction either a nominal prologue or TTT, plus an uphill or mountain TT. We have seen this year how ASO will push the rules as far as they can get away with to help the French riders. I can see Sky picking up a young French talent soon. I sure Brailsford said he would like to win one day with a French rider and it might have positive pr effects among the roadside French fans.

Shame as I thought with the right course with just enough TT'ing and mountain finishes could create a great Froome, Tommy D vs the pure climbers show down.

"two TT's" isn't a requirement though is it? 2014 had only an ITT. I think they can get pretty creative when they want to get the type of race they want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, here is a link to pretty much the same course that we did during the 1997 France Iron Tour. We had to do multiple laps up to Notre -Dame de la Garde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjJzceKd3I

Enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [simon lessing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simon lessing wrote:
Dev, here is a link to pretty much the same course that we did during the 1997 France Iron Tour. We had to do multiple laps up to Notre -Dame de la Garde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjJzceKd3I

Enjoy

I was just telling my wife that I biked right through the old port of Marseilles during my first France bike tour in 1984! Hey, I looked at the video and you guys were even wearing skin tight suits in 1997!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the things I've seen in this TT and others in previous years I've always wondered about-

Some of the riders had what appeared to be several inches of risers straight vertical from the base bar up to the pads. If I saw this at some local tri my initial reaction would probably be that the owner might have made a mistake and bought a frame that was too small. At this level of competition that seems like a much less likely explanation :-).

I suppose that given that your Tour team has a bike sponsor, they have simply picked the size frame that is the best match for reach and pedestal'ed to get the desired stack. Is that it? Or is there some advantage unknown to me for that much gap between base bar and pads?

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall correctly this is so that the basebar positon is as low as possible such that for the short times that they get out of the saddle, even standing up they have flat back or when going through corners and braking. It's an optical illusion that it is high. The pads are low enough (some would argue that many of these guys are too low and they end up with a big scoop position choking on the bars to get a higher position)...ex Cadel Evans:

So the solution is bring up the pads and have a low basebar position so you need to pedestal the pads, but those pad pedestals are much more aero (correct ratio) vs stem spacers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, and a reason I didn't suspect. Thanks, Dev.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 20: ITT flappy skinsuits, round water bottles, slow tires, long cranks.... [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:
One of the things I've seen in this TT and others in previous years I've always wondered about-

Some of the riders had what appeared to be several inches of risers straight vertical from the base bar up to the pads. If I saw this at some local tri my initial reaction would probably be that the owner might have made a mistake and bought a frame that was too small. At this level of competition that seems like a much less likely explanation :-).

I suppose that given that your Tour team has a bike sponsor, they have simply picked the size frame that is the best match for reach and pedestal'ed to get the desired stack. Is that it? Or is there some advantage unknown to me for that much gap between base bar and pads?

Chris

Most head tubes accomadate a 1 3/8 bearing. This means the headtube is on the order of 40-50mm wide. The width of most pedestals is no more than 10-15mm each. You can minimize frontal area with a short head tube and tall pedestals. Road bikes tend to have longer head tubes because most people put spacers between the to of the headtube and the stem. A round headtube has a horrible Cd so it makes more sense to have a taller headtube (and it is easier to make a stiff front end).
Quote Reply

Prev Next