Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken Zipp, what are my options?
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago I had a 808 FC hub flange break on me on a pretty easy ride over smooth terrain. Hit a small bump and heard a pop and the wheel locked sideways against one of the brake pads. Unfortunately I am not the original owner so Zipp/SRAM won't warrantee the hub, which I get. But I am wondering what my options are.

So far this is what I've come up with:

-Have a local shop rebuild the wheel
-Sell the rear wheel as broken with the good front
-???
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Zipp, what are my options? [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like this? The picture posted:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Hub_Recall_P5437559/

Check to see if your hubs have been recalled. They might fix it under the recall regardless of the ownership? But I don't know this for sure. Check it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call Zipp

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Zipp, what are my options? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Like this? The picture posted:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Hub_Recall_P5437559/

Check to see if your hubs have been recalled. They might fix it under the recall regardless of the ownership? But I don't know this for sure. Check it.

There were two recalls:

https://www.cpsc.gov/...8-bicycle-wheel-hubs
https://www.cpsc.gov/...p-bicycle-wheel-hubs

Edit: both of these were for front hubs though. I don't remember seeing a recall on the rear hubs.
Last edited by: spudone: Jul 17, 17 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd still talk to a local zipp retailer. Zipp might not warranty the wheel but you could still get a quote on the replacement. Without that quote then it'll be hard for you to determine which route to take. Might not be worth the repair cost. Maybe it will be. And also as previously mentioned, it might've been covered by a recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Zipp, what are my options? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could also lace in a better (non-Zipp) hub and be done with it.

Talk to SRAM first though -- especially if your front hub also has the flange. That's much more dangerous if it fails.
Last edited by: spudone: Jul 17, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few Zipp rear hubs on EBay for around 100$
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Zipp, what are my options? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it's a safety recall it should not matter who the OG owner is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexer03 wrote:
A few weeks ago I had a 808 FC hub flange break on me on a pretty easy ride over smooth terrain. Hit a small bump and heard a pop and the wheel locked sideways against one of the brake pads. Unfortunately I am not the original owner so Zipp/SRAM won't warrantee the hub, which I get. But I am wondering what my options are.

So far this is what I've come up with:

-Have a local shop rebuild the wheel
-Sell the rear wheel as broken with the good front
-???

Recall was front hub, so you probably won't get any help. Although, I would check with a local shop and have them contact zipp first.

I have a rear zipp hub if you need one, it's 10 speed. I wanted 11 speed, so I changed my zipp hub to DT Swiss. That's another option for you, do what I did and go DT Swiss.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Zipp, what are my options? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every broken Zipp rear hub I have ever seen was replaced by Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Zipp, what are my options? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Every broken Zipp rear hub I have ever seen was replaced by Zipp.

I wish that was the case. My LBS that I use called Zipp and they said no. Should I try calling Zipp on my own and see what they say?

Here is what it looks like:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Zipp isn't going to fix it, I think jharris has the right idea. Get a DT Swiss 240 and be safe. Zipp has never made good hubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd buy a new hub and have it laced with new sapim cxray spokes. There are lots of good hub options out there:

- If you don't have a power meter already, you can get an inexpensive powertap g3 hub.
- The DT240 hub suggested above is a good idea. Those are nice, medium weight, medium cost, and good reliability.
- You could go with something that sounds and looks a bit more unique, like a Chris King or Industry Nine.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Zipp, what are my options? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, when you get down to buying a replacement hub, there are just not that many 20 hole rear hubs you can use.
Most stop at 24h.
Would be nice to use a Powertap GS hub, but only 24 for those.
DT don't go straight pull at that spoke count, so back to J bend spokes and a shorter lifespan, OK if race only wheels but a bitch if it is your everyday wheel.

The Problem here is that those Zipp hubs were designed for 10 speed.
The stop gap measure of new axle, end cap and cassette body dishes the wheel far too much and you really have to make sure the spoke tensions are nice and even or this happens.
Zipp know about it, they should fix it, and I suggest you call them yourself.
Often it is just the LBS simply being too lazy to bother.

Zipp have been really lucky so far that nobody has serious injuries to turn this into a recall like the front hub.
You have a high end wheel that is only 4 years old and it breaks the hub, that is grounds for 'fit for purpose' replacement in Australia.
Quote Reply