Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp Hub Recall
Quote | Reply
From their Twitter:

"@ZippSpeed: 88 hubs recalled by @ZippSpeed/@SRAMroad; retaining ring on front hub can fail. #Crash hazard http://t.co/EicZAas4x3"

"The aluminum hub shell is silver. The outside flange ring is gray aluminum in the standard option and blue, gold, gray, pink or red in the ZedTech options. The diameter of the two clinch nuts is approximately 1 inch. The first version of the 88 hub is the only one affected by the recall. The first version has the Z logo on the flange ring. The other versions – not affected by this recall – do not have the Z logo on the flange ring. The hubs were sold in five bike brands and sold individually"

Formerly TriBrad02
Last edited by: TriBrad02: Feb 12, 15 22:26
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome to yesterday... those silver hubs were whack!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just happened to me last week. Luckily I was not on it and just moving to start a trainer ride. There was no weight on it and all of a sudden I heard this loud pop. It was strange as hell luckily SRAM is making good on it. Very interesting timing though.

Here is what it looked like.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 of my friends had the very same issue...

glad I sold those :D

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be fun.

Pretty sure that's the hub on my 808s. If remedy is to replace the hub, who covers the cost to rebuild the wheel? Can't find this on the recall notice or Sram/Zipp websites.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the black hub on my Zipp 101s from 2012. Is it part of the recall?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is not the recalled version of the 88, that looks like second gen, like on the 2012 fc 808s, ie flange cover is much smaller than the recalled version
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if they cover the removal of the old hub and installation of the new hub?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checked my wheels. Front 808 has the older? hub with carbon fiber flange cover. Rear 808 has the same hub with Z on the flange. Guess I need to contact Zipp and confirm whether this purely front hub, or if it's rear hubs too.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
2 of my friends had the very same issue...
Interesting. I had this happen to the rear, drive-side flange of 2013 Zipp 303's with the black hubs a 1/2 mile after leaving a rest stop out on a t-shirt ride with some friends. Decided to rebuild front and rear wheels with DT Swiss 240s straight pull hubs resulting in a stronger, and slightly lighter wheelset and seeing this, now thinking I need to do the same with the wife's 303 wheelset.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This cannot be. In the last thread about Zipp hub quality, everyone dismissed Zipp's long history of shitty hubs. Everything is always fixed with the latest revision--well, until that revision becomes the old revision because the new revision fixes problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes it all the more scary. My bad though...it looked the same to me but it is on 2012 FC 404 there Eagle eye. :-) Either way though SRAM/Zipp made it right with me just glad I was not actually riding it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably the prelude to the next.................. :)

I need to check mine at home
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the old hubs, from 2008-2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:

exactly... only took them what?!?! 5 years for the recall??!?!

if u google the web u can read about the issue with their hubs in multiple forums...

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the zipp website the 88 is used on the front only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt Special edition 808 - right from around that time. Have to check it. thanks for posting.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes, just called and left a message for my LBS, I have those hubs.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One example of why I'm a big fan of hand built wheels. I'm a little POed Zipp stopped selling rims to consumers like Enve still does. You can still get custom Zipps from some builders like Wheelbuilder.com. My first Zipp was a dimpled 404 laced to a White Industries hub with silver spokes...very flashy!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:

and apparently used on more recent model up to 2012... Just called re: my 2011/2012 vintage 303 tubular, and the rep confirmed it.

Funny enough i haven't trusted this wheel for a while as there was a very faint noise coming from the front hub. Probably unrelated, but at least i get to solve that issue as well.

Only downside is that i have to pry the damn tubular off of the tire...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone know what hubs were on the first gen FC clinchers? these had silver hubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [7718] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM is requesting you have your LBS handle the warranty. They will speak with LBS and then if applicable for the recall, handle the repair by having the wheel shipped to SRAM who replaces the hub, and respokes rebuilds it in the factory and ships it back to LBS. I'm not sure if your LBS needs to be a ZIPP dealer or not. Fortunately for me my hybrid (2011ish) 404 appears to have a newer design without the logo.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [speedzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least in terms of yaw and drag #'s everything is OK until a failure happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few Zipps. Thanks for the post.

"You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your [bike]... Granny shiftin' not double [tappin]' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of [caffeine] didn't blow the welds on the [chainstays]! You almost had me?"

#HILANDON
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Recall [speedzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speedzilla wrote:
SRAM is requesting you have your LBS handle the warranty. They will speak with LBS and then if applicable for the recall, handle the repair by having the wheel shipped to SRAM who replaces the hub, and respokes rebuilds it in the factory and ships it back to LBS. I'm not sure if your LBS needs to be a ZIPP dealer or not. Fortunately for me my hybrid (2011ish) 404 appears to have a newer design without the logo.

I wonder whether that goes for international customers too.

This http://www.zipp.com/..._Consumer_Notice.pdf is pretty useful for helping identify what's being recalled.
Quote Reply

Prev Next