Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH MY GOD! I FOUND THE PROBLEM! THE BIKESHOP WHERE I PURCHASED MY TREK SPEED CONCEPT, THEY INSTALLED ONE OF THE BRAKE SHOES BACKWARDS. THERE ARE ARROWS POINTING WHICH DIRECTION THE BRAKE HOUSING AND SHOE SHOULD BE POINTING. HENCE, YOU HAD ONE SHOE THAT WAS POINTING IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION AND THE OTHER WAS BACKWARDS. HOWEVER, WITH THE SAME WRONG SETUP, MY 808'S WERE NOT PULSATING AT ALL. I WAS USING MY OLD 808 PADS BUT THEY WERE WORN DOWN PRETTY BADLY SO I REPLACED THEM WITH THE ZIPP SUPER 9 WHICH BY THE WAY ARE THE EXACT SAME PADS. THE OTHER SIDE WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

ONCE I REPLACED THE PADS WITH NEW ONES, AND HAD BOTH SHOES POINTING THE RIGHT DIRECTION, AND I ALSO DID NOT TOE THEM IN AS INSTRUCTED BY ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER, NO MORE PULSATING AND IT IS SILKY SMOOTH.

THE FEW LESSONS LEARNED FROM THIS:

1. PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE ALREADY USED PADS ON A NEW WHEEL.
2. BE SURE THE BRAKE PADS ARE POINTING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
3. A RIM THAT IS SLIGHTLY OUT OF TRUE AND/OR AN EXCESS AMOUNT OF CARBON LAYUP SHOULD NOT CAUSE BRAKES TO PULSATE. MY RIMS ARE A BUSINESS CARD WITH OUT OF SPEC BUT ONLY ON ONE SIDE.
4. NEVER ASSUME YOUR BIKE SHOP INSTALLED ANYTHING ON THE BIKE CORRECTLY.
5. THE PRELOAD WHETHER LOOSE OR TIGHT DID NOT EFFECT PULSATING. I TRIED IT BOTH WAYS, LOOSE AND TIGHT SAME ISSUE. I HAVE DONE IT RIGHT BY TURNING IT UNTIL IT STOPS, THEN BACKING OFF 1/8 TURN. THERE IS TINY AMOUNT OF PLAY WHERE YOU CAN WIGGLE RIM BACK AND FORTH BUT ONCE YOU SIT ON BIKE, IT IS TIGHT.

I will have to call Zipp and apologize to them for putting them through the paces. Yes i must have drove them nuts but after paying a ton of money for this wheel and then to watch my tribars shake back and forth every time i stop was irksome.
Last edited by: marathonrunner: Jul 8, 17 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, that could also cause the problem. You can also edit/update your original post to include this information.

But I am really glad you found the problem and fixed it.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Oh, that could also cause the problem. You can also edit/update your original post to include this information.

I am glad I finally found the problem. It was very unsettling to find out a big dollar purchase turned into junk but it was incorrectly installed brake pad by local bike shop and already used pads.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

I am glad I finally found the problem. It was very unsettling to find out a big dollar purchase turned into junk but it was incorrectly installed brake pad by local bike shop and already used pads.

I did think of why the pads might have worked fine with the 808s though.

The rim width of the 808 hoop is different than the Super9. And both rims are not perfectly parallel; for aerodynamic reasons, they are pitched/curved. Over prolonged usage, the pads will break into the specific curvature of the rim.

Since the 808 rim is narrower, even if the contour of the rim was identical - and it's not that different - the pads will be in a different orientation when they hit the 808 rim vs the Super9.

If they pads were very used, they'd match the EXACT profile of the 808 rim. Those pads will hit the Super9 rim a bit off-center. On its own, probably not enough to cause a problem. But with one pad being backwards, it certainly could.

That's my guess anyway as to why you didn't experience the issue with the 808s.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

I did think of why the pads might have worked fine with the 808s though.

The rim width of the 808 hoop is different than the Super9. And both rims are not perfectly parallel; for aerodynamic reasons, they are pitched/curved. Over prolonged usage, the pads will break into the specific curvature of the rim.

Since the 808 rim is narrower, even if the contour of the rim was identical - and it's not that different - the pads will be in a different orientation when they hit the 808 rim vs the Super9.

If they pads were very used, they'd match the EXACT profile of the 808 rim. Those pads will hit the Super9 rim a bit off-center. On its own, probably not enough to cause a problem. But with one pad being backwards, it certainly could.

That's my guess anyway as to why you didn't experience the issue with the 808s.

Its amazing how so many have looked into this but failed to ask the right questions. I now know the first question I will ask if someone comes to me with a pulsating question is your pads new? Also check to be sure they are installed correctly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
Its amazing how so many have looked into this but failed to ask the right questions. I now know the first question I will ask if someone comes to me with a pulsating question is your pads new? Also check to be sure they are installed correctly

Always start at the very beginning. I knew of an Olympic triathlete who went for a bike fit with one of the most highly regarded fitters in the industry. All kinds of ROM tests, video analysis, etc. The works. An entire day of medical and biomechanical analysis.

They made all kinds of changes to her fit, her cleats, and everything else. All of which were designed to address hip pain.

The one thing they didn't change - because they never found it? She had a 170mm crank on one side and a 172.5mm crank on the other...

I've made similar mistakes. One of my all time favorite examples is when I "lost" my yardstick. I was convinced it had fallen under my workbench. So I got out a flashlight and a yardstick and started sweeping back and forth under my workbench to look for the very yardstick I was holding in my hand...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:

Always start at the very beginning. I knew of an Olympic triathlete who went for a bike fit with one of the most highly regarded fitters in the industry. All kinds of ROM tests, video analysis, etc. The works. An entire day of medical and biomechanical analysis.

They made all kinds of changes to her fit, her cleats, and everything else. All of which were designed to address hip pain.

The one thing they didn't change - because they never found it? She had a 170mm crank on one side and a 172.5mm crank on the other...

I've made similar mistakes. One of my all time favorite examples is when I "lost" my yardstick. I was convinced it had fallen under my workbench. So I got out a flashlight and a yardstick and started sweeping back and forth under my workbench to look for the very yardstick I was holding in my hand...

So very true. Now all I need is one of those secret motors and I can win the Tour De france easily...lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why was your bike at a bike shop?
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why was your bike at a bike shop?

I am not sure if I understand your question but it has been there for upgrades, repairs, etc..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
The OP doesn't live in the UK.

No but he bought it from the UK, so UK consumer law applies... I think...

Sounds like he is sorted anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
The OP doesn't live in the UK.

No but he bought it from the UK, so UK consumer law applies... I think...

Sounds like he is sorted anyway.

Yes, the law applies, but how much would it cost to enforce it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am suggesting that you should be doing the work yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I am suggesting that you should be doing the work yourself.

My wheel after replacing pads with new ones and correctly pointing the pads in the right direction the wheel is perfect. But i will agree if u want something done right u have to do it yourself. My local bike shop over tightened my steering preload, thus causing handling and wearing my bearings out. They also over torqued my brake cover and cracked it. and the one mechanic pulled my torpedo water bottle and didn't realize it was strapped down and cracked the mount. They also gouged the lower part of chain stay with a tool. I am from now on going to.do my own wirk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely find a new shop

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

They are all like that. What do u expect for someone getting paid 10 dollars per hour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the mechanics at my shop mess up, they don't do it again. I don't spend money on failed repairs or service

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Why?
Quote Reply

Prev Next