Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING
Quote | Reply
I currently have a Trek Speed Concept which I recently upgraded my Zipp 808 to their new Super 9 rear disc. My 808's are perfect in every way, perfectly trued, no hop, and brakes work like glass. I FOUND THE PROBLEM! READ THE PARAGRAPH IN RED BELOW THIS POST!

However, my Super 9, every time I grab the brakes while slowing down, I can feel a moderate level of the bike pulsating. It is like someone pumping my brakes. Using the same brake pads that were on my 808's, I towed the shoes in slightly by putting a dime while tightening the screw. It helped but not a whole lot.

After placing a call into SRAM's tech support, the customer service reps were very sympathetic and cordial, but after several calls into their call center, it became obvious I wasn't able to find anybody who really has intimate knowledge of these wheels. They simply recited what specs are, .5mm for lateral runout and 1mm for hop and that was all they kept repeating. One rep told me the pulsating if there is any, that is a separate issue which I find hard to believe because from all the forums I have read, a wheel that is out of true will cause pulsating.

SRAM told me I have to go to an authorized Zipp dealer to have them evaluate and then get on their dealer service line and then they would bring the wheel in for an evaluation. Unfortunately, the dealer I brought it to was unwilling to really spend the right amount of time to make careful measurements. He was very dismissive and simply told me Zipp would not warranty this wheel because it is not out of spec. He couldn't even tell me the amount of runout so I bought my own truing stand and made careful measurements.

Long story short, the runout for lateral is about the thickness of a business card and the hop is the same. The left brake track shows slightly out of true but the right rim is perfectly true. This tells me it is probably an imperfection on the brake track itself and not the wheel being out of true.

I called several more bike shops in Chicago, none of their mechanics knew much about Zipp wheels and they told me I have to call Zipp. I then made some calls to some bike dealers in Calfornia, I found one dealer who suggested I use new brake pads and when he learned I ride with the shoes rather far from the rim, he suggested I tighten up the tolerance and that will probably help the pulsating go away.

Anyway, I am upset because I spent almost 3K on this wheel and it is really annoying that every time I brake, it stops and goes. I am going to call SRAM again on Monday and I am not expecting to get too much cooperation because I have been told that as long as the wheel is in spec, there is not much else they can do. If I have the dealer send it in for evaluation, I am not sure they will stand behind their product. Regardless if it is in spec, I expect the wheel not to pulsate period. My 808''s don't

I will keep everybody posted but for now, I think my next carbon wheels will be HED's.

OH MY GOD! I FOUND THE PROBLEM! THE BIKESHOP WHERE I PURCHASED MY TREK SPEED CONCEPT, THEY INSTALLED ONE OF THE BRAKE SHOES BACKWARDS. THERE ARE ARROWS POINTING WHICH DIRECTION THE BRAKE HOUSING AND SHOE SHOULD BE POINTING. HENCE, YOU HAD ONE SHOE THAT WAS POINTING IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION AND THE OTHER WAS BACKWARDS. HOWEVER, WITH THE SAME WRONG SETUP, MY 808'S WERE NOT PULSATING AT ALL. I WAS USING MY OLD 808 PADS BUT THEY WERE WORN DOWN PRETTY BADLY SO I REPLACED THEM WITH THE ZIPP SUPER 9 WHICH BY THE WAY ARE THE EXACT SAME PADS. THE OTHER SIDE WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

ONCE I REPLACED THE PADS WITH NEW ONES, AND HAD BOTH SHOES POINTING THE RIGHT DIRECTION, AND I ALSO DID NOT TOE THEM IN AS INSTRUCTED BY ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER, NO MORE PULSATING AND IT IS SILKY SMOOTH.

THE FEW LESSONS LEARNED FROM THIS:

1. PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE ALREADY USED PADS ON A NEW WHEEL.
2. BE SURE THE BRAKE PADS ARE POINTING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
3. A RIM THAT IS SLIGHTLY OUT OF TRUE AND/OR AN EXCESS AMOUNT OF CARBON LAYUP SHOULD NOT CAUSE BRAKES TO PULSATE. MY RIMS ARE A BUSINESS CARD WITH OUT OF SPEC BUT ONLY ON ONE SIDE.
4. NEVER ASSUME YOUR BIKE SHOP INSTALLED ANYTHING ON THE BIKE CORRECTLY.
5. THE PRELOAD WHETHER LOOSE OR TIGHT DID NOT EFFECT PULSATING. I TRIED IT BOTH WAYS, LOOSE AND TIGHT SAME ISSUE. I HAVE DONE IT RIGHT BY TURNING IT UNTIL IT STOPS, THEN BACKING OFF 1/8 TURN. THERE IS TINY AMOUNT OF PLAY WHERE YOU CAN WIGGLE RIM BACK AND FORTH BUT ONCE YOU SIT ON BIKE, IT IS TIGHT.

I will have to call Zipp and apologize to them for putting them through the paces. Yes i must have drove them nuts but after paying a ton of money for this wheel and then to watch my tribars shake back and forth every time i stop was irksome.

QUESTIONS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASKED: (NONE OF THE BIKE SHOP MECHANICS THAT I SPOKE TO HAD A CLUE)

1. Are you using your existing brake pads or the new ones that shipped with the wheel?
2. Is your brake pads facing the correct direction?
3. Did you try toe in the wheel or leave them flat?
4. Are your wheels out of true?

New pads would have probably solved the issue from the get go. I wrongly assumed the worn pads would be fine on new wheels. The problem really came down to using worn pads on a new wheel and I do believe the misdirection of the incorrectly installed brake shoe had been a contribuing factor.
Last edited by: marathonrunner: Jul 8, 17 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you return it and buy a HED disc?
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Isn't Zipp based in Indiana? You could drive down there and see them directly.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

Isn't Zipp based in Indiana? You could drive down there and see them directly.

No they do not accept customers bringing wheels directly to them. You must go through a Zipp Dealer but finding one that is willing to put the time into doing this is very tough. I bought my wheels from a dealer in the UK and the customer service reps at Zipp was suggesting I buy some beer for a mechanic as a way of getting him to do his job. I found that to be ridiculous because I shouldn't have to bribe anybody for warranty work.

I am going to have a wait and see attitude to see if Zipp will take care of me. So far I have been told by the one local bike shop mechanic who was reluctant to help, that the wheels are in spec and Zipp will do nothing. The pulsating is really annoying and after paying a ton of money for these wheels, I am beginning to realize I should have went with HED. I hear their wheels have better quality control.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Can you return it and buy a HED disc?

I heard many great things about HED wheels. Had I known Zipp Wheels possibly have quality control issues, I would have considered it. But out of curiosity, what makes you think HED's are better than Zipps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you pacify yourself that's it's a new built in ABS feature ... ?

Joking aside, I suspect pulsing is more to do with uneven brake track width rather than a slightly untrue wheel. Can you check the track width at various places with a good set of callipers ? Maybe if that reveals something it will give you something solid to talk to the zipp reps about ?

Interestingly, my Chinese carbons ran smooth when new but as the tracks bedded in I got the pulsing effect. You could see on the track the matt looking parts which had more bite and were casing the issue. A few 100 miles later when the track is (almost) nice and even in appearance the pulsing is (almost) gone. Don't know if that's common or even applies to zipps though ?

Hope you get sorted.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having a bit of a wild stab here as I am only guessing but your 808's are spoked and are more rigid than a Zipp disc being a carbon layer over honeycomb. The torsional stiffness will never be close to your 808 and maybe the difference as your wheel (flat carbon) acting like a bit of a drum amplifying any pulsing of your pads trying to grab the rim??? As for Hed discs that I use they are a Stinger 9 (basically an 808) with a carbon fairing covering the spokes. I run Hed wheels and in my opinion superior to Zipp wheels. Mind you their latest wheels look good. If you look at most cycling teams over the years that didn't have a disk or often wheel sponsor run Hed wheels including LA and Sky until this year now running Pro.

After trialling many brake pads over the years I find most to be too hard and it may be partly to do with your pulsing issues. I found the Reynolds blue pads softer and the best until I found these which perform just as well at a fraction of the price. They feel softer may wear out quicker but less likely to pulse. At this price who cares if wear out quickly. As I say just a guess but I would try these pads and see if it helps.

http://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4/
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Can you pacify yourself that's it's a new built in ABS feature ... ?

Joking aside, I suspect pulsing is more to do with uneven brake track width rather than a slightly untrue wheel. Can you check the track width at various places with a good set of callipers ? Maybe if that reveals something it will give you something solid to talk to the zipp reps about ?

Interestingly, my Chinese carbons ran smooth when new but as the tracks bedded in I got the pulsing effect. You could see on the track the matt looking parts which had more bite and were casing the issue. A few 100 miles later when the track is (almost) nice and even in appearance the pulsing is (almost) gone. Don't know if that's common or even applies to zipps though ?

Hope you get sorted.

Very impressed with your knowledge. Yes the left brake track has a small segment where the layup seems too thick thus giving the appearance the wheel is out of true. The right side shows know movement which leads me to believe the little hump or bump is what I am feeling when I am on the brakes. Kudos to u my friend because this wasn't articulated very well when I called I to sram tech support. Zipp tech support were friendly but didn't quite seem to know the answer and sadly all the bike shops I called on didn't know as well. I believe if somebody had a real working knowledge of zipp they would be able to give me more confidence. i.e. "oh yes what you are experiencing is quite possible especially with carbon fiber rims...etc..." but Zipp kept telling me the specs .5 for lateral....etc without really giving me any answers. This is why I had to keep calling back because I was hoping to find a rep who really understood this wheel.

I am beginning to think the extra carbon which is making a small segment of the left brake track thicker is causing the pulsating but won't know until it goes back to Zipp. If they tell me that is normal, yes some wheels will and others won't, then I will accept the possibility that all Zipp wheels pulsate. Interesting enough. on their website they boast non of their carbon rims pulsate so this is a bit unsettling.
Last edited by: marathonrunner: Jul 8, 17 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I am kind of glad it helped :-)

Confirm it with some callipers and then ring them back.

At least it gives you something solid to discuss with zipp rather then them just refer to specs for out of true / out of round etc.

Hope you get sorted :-)

Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Well I am kind of glad it helped :-)

Confirm it with some callipers and then ring them back.

At least it gives you something solid to discuss with zipp rather then them just refer to specs for out of true / out of round etc.

Hope you get sorted :-)

I did and they told me my home truing stand could not be trusted. I find that hard to believe because I also put my 808's and they do not wobble at all. I have a feeling Zipp will not do anything for me because the wheel is too expensive and it would cost too much to have replaced. But lesson learned, my next wheel I will be looking at HED's line
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who did you buy the wheel from? They're the ones you should deal with about the return. It certainly sounds like a flaw in the brake track of the wheel, there should be no variation in the width of the brake track. A tiny amount of out of trueness would not cause the pulsing. There are other things that can cause this, if the brake track has become contaminated with something such as oil, also if the brake pads aren't toed in properly as well, you want just a tiny amount of additional clearance on the front of the brake pad, maybe half a millimeter or so. If I experience problems with braking I clean the rim and brake pads with alcohol solvent, do not use any other kind of solvent.

Just to cover all the bases I'd clean the rim and pads and check the toe in, but regardless it sounds more likely that there's a flaw in your wheel and you should not accept it and should insist that the vendor from which you purchased the wheel accept a warranty return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
I bought my wheels from a dealer in the UK and the customer service reps at Zipp was suggesting I buy some beer for a mechanic as a way of getting him to do his job. I found that to be ridiculous because I shouldn't have to bribe anybody for warranty work.

You could deal with this through the dealer you purchased the wheel from, which would be the normal course of affairs. Ahh, but you chose to purchase overseas to save a few bucks. This is the risk you accepted at that time, and a good argument for buying locally when buying high-end...

Last edited by: M----n: Jul 8, 17 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Who did you buy the wheel from? They're the ones you should deal with about the return. It certainly sounds like a flaw in the brake track of the wheel, there should be no variation in the width of the brake track. A tiny amount of out of trueness would not cause the pulsing. There are other things that can cause this, if the brake track has become contaminated with something such as oil, also if the brake pads aren't toed in properly as well, you want just a tiny amount of additional clearance on the front of the brake pad, maybe half a millimeter or so. If I experience problems with braking I clean the rim and brake pads with alcohol solvent, do not use any other kind of solvent.

Just to cover all the bases I'd clean the rim and pads and check the toe in, but regardless it sounds more likely that there's a flaw in your wheel and you should not accept it and should insist that the vendor from which you purchased the wheel accept a warranty return.

I bought these wheels from Raceview Cycles in the UK so it would be difficult for me to ship it back. My pads are towed in and I used a dime and placed it on the rear to get the angle. I am going to install the brand new pads that came with the wheels. I was using my 808 pads, perhaps that is also causing the issue.

You are right, however, on the right side there seems to be extra layer of carbon layup as the exact opposite(left side) does not move at all. Zipp told me the brake track will not be absolutely perfect like an 808 that is machined built. The zipp disc is handbuilt so I am thinking maybe pulsating cannot be totally eilminated.

I think when Sram bought zipp, they should have brought over some of their techs because most of the customer service reps at SRAM didn't have a good explanation why it was pulsating. I do think you have come the closest to understanding that the imperfection in the thickness is causing the pulsating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should still be able to send it back but you'll probably have to pay for shipping to the UK yourself. I recently bought a product from the UK that was substandard and they really gave me a lot of trouble about shipping it back. It's currently sent back for them to send to the manufacturer but I haven't gotten my money back yet. In the future I'm going to be very careful about what I order from the UK, keep it to items like Shimano components that are unlikely to be returned.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if the disk is handmade, the brake track should be parallel and provide smooth braking especially when you're talking about the money Zipp charges, funny, bad braking is the big rap on cheap Chinese wheels, supposedly not Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
You should still be able to send it back but you'll probably have to pay for shipping to the UK yourself. I recently bought a product from the UK that was substandard and they really gave me a lot of trouble about shipping it back. It's currently sent back for them to send to the manufacturer but I haven't gotten my money back yet. In the future I'm going to be very careful about what I order from the UK, keep it to items like Shimano components that are unlikely to be returned.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if the disk is handmade, the brake track should be parallel and provide smooth braking especially when you're talking about the money Zipp charges, funny, bad braking is the big rap on cheap Chinese wheels, supposedly not Zipp.
I agree these wheels should be better than ones that are Chinese and funny that you brought that up because I met some guy on the bike trail yesterday and I don't know the name of it he mentioned the name of his rims but they do not squeal or pulsate like when I zips anyway I'm going to see what they're going to do for me and if they take care of me this time I may consider another Zipp in the future but if they basically tell me why we can't do anything because Wheels within specs and the pulsating is normal that will be my last Zipp wheel I'll ever buy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every time I brake - you're doing it wrong :-)

I have a Zipp 999 tubular setup from 2005, and it has always done this. It is actually more on the front (808) that I noticed it, but when I brought my P5 a couple of years ago which had a much stronger (i.e. it works) rear brake than my old Ultegra calliper I noticed it too on the disc. Must be a slight imperfection in the way they are built?

In all honesty, I have never been bothered by it. I know it happens when I hit the brakes and I know to expect it. With me, it's like the front calliper bites and then releases before biting again etc etc. If this were a set of wheels I used for Crits and fast road racing I may be more concerned, but in TT's and Ironmans I pretty much only use the brakes to come into T2.

Is this just a Zipp thing or do other brands suffer too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you feel that perhaps you have made your point now? I'm sure Zipp has learned their lesson and will never treat anyone as badly as you feel you have been treated, and we will all certainly keep this thread top of mind when considering Zipp for our next wheel purchase.

Now go for a ride on a course requiring minimal braking and let the delightful whomp-whomp of your beautiful disc lull you to a happy place.

Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Do you feel that perhaps you have made your point now? I'm sure Zipp has learned their lesson and will never treat anyone as badly as you feel you have been treated, and we will all certainly keep this thread top of mind when considering Zipp for our next wheel purchase.

Now go for a ride on a course requiring minimal braking and let the delightful whomp-whomp of your beautiful disc lull you to a happy place.

HAHAHAHAAAA.... something definitely to take into consideration and they didn't treat me bad yet but it remains to be seen. For the money they charge I was expecting better quality
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What pads are you running? The wheel shouldn't be sensitive to the sort of layup variance you're describing. I've ridden probably a half dozen different Super9s, one of which was actually outside of Zipp's runout spec, and I've never had the sort of pulsating issues you're describing. I'm just having a hard time thinking that's the cause.

Couple of thoughts:
- overall, Zipp's wheels definitely prefer softer brake pads. SwissStop Yellow King or Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro (made by SwissStop) are the best current pads. I really liked the old Tangente cork pads, but Zipp moved away from those because they were less universal. If you're running anything harder - even Black Prince - your braking will be less smooth.

- toe-in would likely exacerbate any issue of runout, because the pads are contacting the wheel less evenly. I'd straighten up your pads. I run my pads perfectly parallel on all my wheels.

What I *think* this issue is related to is possibly the freehub bearing preload not being adequately tightened. That's the first place I'd look. You loosen the little M2 bolt on the NDS of the hub. Tighten it down until it's snug using just your fingers (NO TOOLS) to get it tight. Then BACK OFF 1/4-turn. Because the disc in so rigid, it's way more sensitive to bearing preload (in my experience).

The other issue to check is brake travel and alignment. Integrated brakes - unfortunately, I'm not intimate with the SC brakes in particular - tend to have way more uneven travel than traditional dual pivot brakes. Again, because the disc is so much more rigid, if one pad is hitting before the other, that could cause your pulsing as well.

The first two things I'd check are:
- hub bearing preload
- evenness of brake-pad travel (left/right)

Feel free to PM me or email me. But hopefully this gives you a bit more information. I really don't think it's the brake track. I was one of the first ride testers of the Super9 CarbonClincher when it went to production prototype. And I've logged countless miles even before then (I rode a Super9 tubular for a long time). I've probably got more miles on the Super9 than anyone else. So happy to help if I can.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Jul 8, 17 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you bought these from a shop in the UK you should avail yourself of the Sale of Goods and Services Act. This covers your contract with the shop you bought it from (explicitly NOT the manufacturer) and affirms that your goods should be;

- As described
- Fit for purpose
- Free from defects

The best bit is that if your complaint is within 6 months of the purchase, the burden of proof (that all of the above are met) is with the retailer. This makes all the difference because if it went to a court the supplier would have to find and pay for an independent expert to provide proof. In practice this means that they nearly never do, as it is usually more expensive than simply giving a refund or an exchange.

Outside 6 months and the burden of proof is on the consumer, which changes everything.

I do think UK consumer law will apply in your case, in which case you should contact the store and initiate a return on the basis of this act.

Good luck.

Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jul 8, 17 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP doesn't live in the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Since you bought these from a shop in the UK you should avail yourself of the Sale of Goods and Services Act. This covers your contract with the shop you bought it from (explicitly NOT the manufacturer) and affirms that your goods should be;

- As described
- Fit for purpose
- Free from defects

The best bit is that if your complaint is within 6 months of the purchase, the burden of proof (that all of the above are met) is with the retailer. This makes all the difference because if it went to a court the supplier would have to find and pay for an independent expert to provide proof. In practice this means that they nearly never do, as it is usually more expensive than simply giving a refund or an exchange.

Outside 6 months and the burden of proof is on the consumer, which changes everything.

I do think UK consumer law will apply in your case, in which case you should contact the store and initiate a return on the basis of this act.

Good luck.

Rich.

Thank.u for.this info but to go through that would be difficult and i can live.with the pulsating but this will definitely be my last zipp wheels ever. I own the 808s and they are terrific but I am beginning to realize zipp is over their heads with disc wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SUPER 9 CARBON CLINCHER PULSATES WHILE BRAKING [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
What pads are you running? The wheel shouldn't be sensitive to the sort of layup variance you're describing. I've ridden probably a half dozen different Super9s, one of which was actually outside of Zipp's runout spec, and I've never had the sort of pulsating issues you're describing. I'm just having a hard time thinking that's the cause.

Couple of thoughts:
- overall, Zipp's wheels definitely prefer softer brake pads. SwissStop Yellow King or Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro (made by SwissStop) are the best current pads. I really liked the old Tangente cork pads, but Zipp moved away from those because they were less universal. If you're running anything harder - even Black Prince - your braking will be less smooth.

- toe-in would likely exacerbate any issue of runout, because the pads are contacting the wheel less evenly. I'd straighten up your pads. I run my pads perfectly parallel on all my wheels.

What I *think* this issue is related to is possibly the freehub bearing preload not being adequately tightened. That's the first place I'd look. You loosen the little M2 bolt on the NDS of the hub. Tighten it down until it's snug using just your fingers (NO TOOLS) to get it tight. Then BACK OFF 1/4-turn. Because the disc in so rigid, it's way more sensitive to bearing preload (in my experience).

The other issue to check is brake travel and alignment. Integrated brakes - unfortunately, I'm not intimate with the SC brakes in particular - tend to have way more uneven travel than traditional dual pivot brakes. Again, because the disc is so much more rigid, if one pad is hitting before the other, that could cause your pulsing as well.

The first two things I'd check are:
- hub bearing preload
- evenness of brake-pad travel (left/right)

Feel free to PM me or email me. But hopefully this gives you a bit more information. I really don't think it's the brake track. I was one of the first ride testers of the Super9 CarbonClincher when it went to production prototype. And I've logged countless miles even before then (I rode a Super9 tubular for a long time). I've probably got more miles on the Super9 than anyone else. So happy to help if I can.

I already experimented with the preload, made it so.there was no play while bike not under load then did it properly still pulsates. A mechanic told me to move the brakes closer to.the rim, I did and it still pulsates. I also adjusted the brakes with toe in and no toe in and it seems worse when no toe in. The only thing I have not tried was using the pads the wheel shipped d with. I am using 808pads that have miles on them
I am convinced the pulsating is from.the uneven brake track. On one side it is a business card out of spec and the opposite side is perfecr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may very well be from a manufacturing issue. Or, as is sometimes the case, it's simply the combination of a bunch of factors. I.e., the same wheel in a different frame would be fine and a different wheel in the same frame would be fine. Sometimes, it's even the particular rider; not that the rider is at fault, but just that styles of riding/pedaling/braking can make a difference.

Your first recourse should be with your bike shop (or wherever you bought the wheel). If they can verify that the wheel is not performing as expected, there's a very clear pipeline to get that addressed. But regardless, if you need - or want - some help with customer service, feel free to send me an email or PM, and I'll gladly do what I can to help you try to resolve this.

In the meantime, I'm sorry for your frustrations both with the wheel and your perception of the service you were given. I can tell you from the other side, an issue like, "the wheel pulses when I brake" is the hardest to address, because there's a ton of perception involved. A wheel that is Xmm out of true or which has runout that's out of spec or has a hop of Zmm is much easier to address, because it's clear what the problem is. So knowing the folks that were trying to help you, I can assure you that it was equally as frustrating for them to not be able to solve your issue.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever ride this disc wheel on any long descents with a lot of braking?
Quote Reply

Prev Next