Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How long are you tired post IM [mkng1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkng1 wrote:
I did IMTX the last two years. This year I'm struggling to get energy back for workouts and to hold power. I'm also tired and lethargic most of the time. It's now been almost two months and I'm still struggling. Is that normal? How long should I expect this? I likely overtrained heading into the race by not taking enough rest. This could be my body still angry at me. Just looking for some feedback on this.

I ran the 1500 in track in college and after I graduated it took my body a couple months to recover but that was a big come down after years of training. Could be similar.

Like Jordan, my experience is that it can vary based on the build and time of year. Usually the more fit I am going in the better I handle it. Regardless, there is recovered and then pseudo-recovered. I don't try to fool myself when I get back to training after Ironman, I am simply not 100% recovered and might not be for the rest of the year until I have another break and huge build.

It always amazes me when I talk to first timers and they talk to me about DOMS and not what I really mean by recovery in terms of deep-down overall fatigue. The reality is that Ironman is super hard on the body. Take more time than you think, better to take more than less. Let the desire come back and that is usually a good sign that you are recovering. Also, wouldn't hurt to talk to your doc and see about various biomarkers. I wrote up a bit in January from my Q1 blood test and the process I can go thru. I have my Q2 blood test all signed up I just need to go in and get it done. Never hurts to get a little extra insight even if for peace of mind.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How long are you tired post IM [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mkng1 wrote:
I did IMTX the last two years. This year I'm struggling to get energy back for workouts and to hold power. I'm also tired and lethargic most of the time. It's now been almost two months and I'm still struggling. Is that normal? How long should I expect this? I likely overtrained heading into the race by not taking enough rest. This could be my body still angry at me. Just looking for some feedback on this.

I ran the 1500 in track in college and after I graduated it took my body a couple months to recover but that was a big come down after years of training. Could be similar.

Like Jordan, my experience is that it can vary based on the build and time of year. Usually the more fit I am going in the better I handle it. Regardless, there is recovered and then pseudo-recovered. I don't try to fool myself when I get back to training after Ironman, I am simply not 100% recovered and might not be for the rest of the year until I have another break and huge build.

It always amazes me when I talk to first timers and they talk to me about DOMS and not what I really mean by recovery in terms of deep-down overall fatigue. The reality is that Ironman is super hard on the body. Take more time than you think, better to take more than less. Let the desire come back and that is usually a good sign that you are recovering. Also, wouldn't hurt to talk to your doc and see about various biomarkers. I wrote up a bit in January from my Q1 blood test and the process I can go thru. I have my Q2 blood test all signed up I just need to go in and get it done. Never hurts to get a little extra insight even if for peace of mind.

I am struggling with how to handle recovery right now. I am not a week post IMLP. I did 3 short & light recovery spins last week. I felt I paced it pretty well (Z2 the whole way) and didnt have any bad cramping/GI issues/etc. I am itching to get back to training but I know I should at least wait another week. I am not sure (short of a blood test) how else I should gauge returning to training. Lots of conflicting advice on the internet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next