Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [IMPBAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great JOB! (great marathon with a pair of strangers shoes!). Once again a volunteer plays a great role in a competitor's successful finish.

I am a person that tries to see the best in all people but, for the shoe being missing...I am sadly suspicious of it not being a random act.

Someone can easily know who you are, and your abilities, as well as find your number from any number of lists.

Have a great time in Kona!!! Good guys rule...
Last edited by: thenicetwin: Apr 25, 17 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to say it but i would bet this was intentional, its like the doping in the AG race i am sure its happening on larger scale then i would like to think but people do f'up stuff like this. Dude its great to here you come back from that and take down the Kona slot! See you in Oct!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a total Bada$$. I can only hope I can finish an IM comfortably at that age group.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:
With no other options, I put them on with no socks (one of my socks was gone with the shoe). But then I had no race number. So Anthony borrowed a sheet of paper and wrote my number on it with a Sharpie and signed his name. And off I went T2, 10:04.

I passed the second place guy after about 16-18 miles, and was catching up to the first place guy, but ran out of time, coming in second by about 7½ minutes. Run time 3:26:35. Race time 10:10:54. KQ.

This is a story worth of telling the great grand kids. Well done, Paul.

I'll tell my kids when they are a little older. A great story of overcoming adversity and playing the cards you are dealt the best way that you can, also including the kindness of a person giving you the shoes off his feet.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Whenever you get knocked down, pick something up." (including a shoe from a friend.)

"When there was only one set of footprints, that's when a volunteer gave you his shoes." - The Bible, Newer Testament

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 25, 17 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome and a prime example of why so many of the little things people talk about shouldn't stop them! Perseverance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really cool result. It reminds me of the recent story about Jesse Thomas using duct tape on his broken zipper at Peru this past weekend. Your story also raises two thoughts for me:
1. What the hell did Anthony do for the next couple of hours? I'm guessing he didn't have extra shoes just lying around. Did you give him a big sweaty post-IM hug after? I've enjoyed volunteering at local tris and IM's because as a volunteer you can really help racers without the whole specter of "outside assistance" being an issue. Especially for these weird scenarios.
2. I don't default to the fact that it was wrongdoing here. Those bags get transported by volunteers and dragged and jangled. It could have hit a rock or a bike pump and just have been bad luck. There is a concept in philosophy called "Hanlon's razor" where, when presented with a scenario like this one, one should consider approaching it with the mindset that you "should not attribute to malice what can often be accounted for by accident/bad luck/mistake."

But whatever the case, you made lemondade out of lemons. Great job!
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Anthony said he had some sandals in his car. I have emailed him to thank him and offer to send back his shoes.

2. You are correct, there may be another explanation, and no proof that there was tampering.

This just adds another thing to the long list of things that can go wrong in a race. I was lucky enough to have had a pretty good fix come my way via Anthony.

Re: pictures. My wife says no, that's over the line. Plus, apparently, there are websites for that
Re: Shoe type...Well used Hoka Clifton 3's. I usually run in Saucony Kinvara 5's

Ultimately, it was great to be able to post a PR IM run at age 59 in my 29th IM. Sometime you don't know what you can do until you do it. Then again, maybe I need to learn to bike faster so I don't have to run so fast :)

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:
Re: pictures. My wife says no, that's over the line. Plus, apparently, there are websites for that

Your wife sounds like a keeper. Thanks for not subjecting us to that. Awesome job and good luck in Oct!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do know this story will be told and re-told around triathlete campfires for years to come, right?

Chapeau, my friend... that is an incredible accomplishment in the face of a pretty bad situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All this AND your coach dropped you mid season? (pink)

Awesome job, way to keep your head in the race. Enjoy Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You had BETTER do more than just thank Anthony and send him his shoe back. I would hope a nice gift card or a dinner certificate at a restaurant in his home town would be the start of something nice...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul, hearing that story from you when you caught me on the run made my own self made problems seem ridiculous. I was quite stoked to see the results after the race and know that you had made it yet again. However, when you come pick up your bike this week, it may be missing a pedal. At least it left a note saying it went to go visit your running shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Badass story. Shop the fucking book rights now. Seriously.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you send Anthony his shoes back make sure you autograph them - because that is some celebrity making stuff right there!!

AWESOME!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:
1. Anthony said he had some sandals in his car. I have emailed him to thank him and offer to send back his shoes.

2. You are correct, there may be another explanation, and no proof that there was tampering.

This just adds another thing to the long list of things that can go wrong in a race. I was lucky enough to have had a pretty good fix come my way via Anthony.

Re: Shoe type...Well used Hoka Clifton 3's. I usually run in Saucony Kinvara 5's

Ultimately, it was great to be able to post a PR IM run at age 59 in my 29th IM. Sometime you don't know what you can do until you do it. Then again, maybe I need to learn to bike faster so I don't have to run so fast :)

Paul

So did you already order a pair of Clifton 3s!?!?!? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story and great race. Congratulations! FRICKIN AMAZING. I can't believe it was intentionall but you never know. Also, I'M run PR?, better get yourself some Cliftons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Respect!
Congrats on the strong finish and a KQ!

IMPBAZ wrote:
I was trying to qualify for Kona at IMAZ in M55-59, but came in 4th, missing a slot by 3 min. So I thought I would give it another try at IM Texas, since I aged up at the start of the year. It looked like Texas would have 2 slots in M60-64, but there also looked like there were a fair number of strong competitors.
My race prep went well, and I felt strong and healthy going into the race. I did the practice swim the day before, and dropped off my transition bags and bike just after opening time at about 10:30 Friday AM. The race started uneventfully, with a 1:11:14 (5th place) swim followed by a 4:18 T1. Bike also went reasonably well, with a 5:18:43 (3rd place). HOWEVER, when I got to T2 and got my bag, the bag was still tied at the top, but there was a 4-5 inch hole about half way up the side of the bag, across but not along the seam. And one of my shoes with its sock and rolled up race belt with bib number were all gone. One of the Ironman people, Anthony, helped me look for the shoe among the transition bags and in the tent, but no shoe. Then Anthony asked me what size shoes I wear, I told him 11. He said I could use his shoes, but they were size 10.5. With no other options, I put them on with no socks (one of my socks was gone with the shoe). But then I had no race number. So Anthony borrowed a sheet of paper and wrote my number on it with a Sharpie and signed his name. And off I went T2, 10:04.
When I exited T2, I saw my wife and told her what happened. She said I was in 3rd, with the other guys pretty far ahead. Second place was 13 minutes ahead, and 1st place was 20 minutes ahead. I figured it was going to have to be a helluva run, so I took off. I knew immediately that my feet were going to be bruised and blistered by the end, and I probably should have emptied out the sand and gravel from that left shoe. A friend offered me his lightweight racing shoes, he had asked the Ironman folks who apparently said it was OK, but I was afraid to accept them due to concern that it would be outside assistance leading to a DQ. My wife kept updating me, I was catching up. I passed the second place guy after about 16-18 miles, and was catching up to the first place guy, but ran out of time, coming in second by about 7½ minutes. Run time 3:26:35. Race time 10:10:54. KQ.
I don’t know where my shoe went. It did not turn up in lost and found. It is hard for me to believe that it was missing by accident. The tear was not along the seam of the bag or the bottom. There was a bib number rolled up in the shoe, making it easily identifiable. I guess another competitor who came in earlier could have started to open the bag by accident and the shoe fell out, but it was a smallish hole in an odd place, and my bag had my name on it and an orange ribbon. If it was intentional, it is hard to accept that someone would do that. On the other hand, Anthony from Ironman, GAVE ME THE SHOES OFF HIS FEET so I could complete the race! In the process, I also had a PR Ironman run and a Kona slot. My feet are pretty torn up, but it was worth it.

Paul Bakerman

Just keep pedaling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe no one's brought up this old slowtwitch classic.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=3005443#p3005443

which led to the end of newbz's triathlon career:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=3008513#p3008513
Last edited by: kny: Apr 27, 17 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Great story and great race. Congratulations! FRICKIN AMAZING. I can't believe it was intentionall but you never know. Also, I'M run PR?, better get yourself some Cliftons.
And a sponsorship heh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome story. Congrats on the great race and KQ. Speaks to the maturity of the older generations who respond to these situations in appropriate manner: they just HTFU!

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I would have left transition barefoot if I had no other option. Undoubtedly, the outcome would have been a DNF, but not in T2.
I heard back from Anthony from IM. He said that the shoe never turned up, even when T2 was broken down at 2 AM. He said that he had not heard of a similar incident in the 150 IM and 70.3 races he had worked in the last 8 years. And he doesn't need the shoes back. I might hang them on my wall.

PB
Quote Reply

Prev Next