Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag
Quote | Reply
I was trying to qualify for Kona at IMAZ in M55-59, but came in 4th, missing a slot by 3 min. So I thought I would give it another try at IM Texas, since I aged up at the start of the year. It looked like Texas would have 2 slots in M60-64, but there also looked like there were a fair number of strong competitors.
My race prep went well, and I felt strong and healthy going into the race. I did the practice swim the day before, and dropped off my transition bags and bike just after opening time at about 10:30 Friday AM. The race started uneventfully, with a 1:11:14 (5th place) swim followed by a 4:18 T1. Bike also went reasonably well, with a 5:18:43 (3rd place). HOWEVER, when I got to T2 and got my bag, the bag was still tied at the top, but there was a 4-5 inch hole about half way up the side of the bag, across but not along the seam. And one of my shoes with its sock and rolled up race belt with bib number were all gone. One of the Ironman people, Anthony, helped me look for the shoe among the transition bags and in the tent, but no shoe. Then Anthony asked me what size shoes I wear, I told him 11. He said I could use his shoes, but they were size 10.5. With no other options, I put them on with no socks (one of my socks was gone with the shoe). But then I had no race number. So Anthony borrowed a sheet of paper and wrote my number on it with a Sharpie and signed his name. And off I went T2, 10:04.
When I exited T2, I saw my wife and told her what happened. She said I was in 3rd, with the other guys pretty far ahead. Second place was 13 minutes ahead, and 1st place was 20 minutes ahead. I figured it was going to have to be a helluva run, so I took off. I knew immediately that my feet were going to be bruised and blistered by the end, and I probably should have emptied out the sand and gravel from that left shoe. A friend offered me his lightweight racing shoes, he had asked the Ironman folks who apparently said it was OK, but I was afraid to accept them due to concern that it would be outside assistance leading to a DQ. My wife kept updating me, I was catching up. I passed the second place guy after about 16-18 miles, and was catching up to the first place guy, but ran out of time, coming in second by about 7½ minutes. Run time 3:26:35. Race time 10:10:54. KQ.
I don’t know where my shoe went. It did not turn up in lost and found. It is hard for me to believe that it was missing by accident. The tear was not along the seam of the bag or the bottom. There was a bib number rolled up in the shoe, making it easily identifiable. I guess another competitor who came in earlier could have started to open the bag by accident and the shoe fell out, but it was a smallish hole in an odd place, and my bag had my name on it and an orange ribbon. If it was intentional, it is hard to accept that someone would do that. On the other hand, Anthony from Ironman, GAVE ME THE SHOES OFF HIS FEET so I could complete the race! In the process, I also had a PR Ironman run and a Kona slot. My feet are pretty torn up, but it was worth it.

Paul Bakerman
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [IMPBAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad A$$

All I have to say

Congrats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great job overcoming a bad situation.

If it ever happens again, take the insole out of the smaller shoe and poof plenty of space

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll show our age here, Paul...."And now you know the rest of the story"

That sir (Run time 3:26:35), is not only a testament to your running prowess, but it says more about your ability to adapt and overcome....

I'll echo the previous poster...definitely Bad Ass!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats...I was 13th in the same AG and not even in the same zip code as you (11:58). I just wanted to mention that I also had a T2 issue. I ran up the same aisle where I had left the bag the night before (and checked it in the morning) but they had completely moved the row to the other side of all the bags. I only registered the week before so it should have been almost at the very end. NO BAG! I stood there for what seemed like an eternity (maybe 90 seconds) while the volunteers were searching all over and finally found it misplaced. In retrospect, my issue was pretty minor compared to yours and want to say congrats on such a fine performance. You really deserve that KQ.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done sir.

ChrisM wrote:
Bad A$$

All I have to say

Congrats

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [aTomic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done mate top effort!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you share some pictures of your feet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW!!! Awesome! Congratulations....and great job Anthony!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't mean to sow suspicion on your fellow competitors if none is warranted (although I guess that's what I'm doing), but given what you describe and some of the other ridiculous shit some people have proven themselves capable of in this sport, I'm curious and have to ask - do the bag handling and pre-race logistics of that race allow ad-hoc access to the sorted bags by the athletes in their numbered spots/racks or whatever, either after you hang them up that day, or on race morning? (as was the case back in the day at some races - for example you could go put more perishable items in your bags, or make other adjustments to your equipment) Or nowadays do you hand them off never to see them again until they become available in T1 and/or T2 selected and handed to you by volunteers? Because, damn, that would be a nasty but effective way to slow down rivals, and if volunteers were just moving them around and it snagged and tore open, surely they would have tried to patch it up (or if the shoe had appeared somewhere, the bib number would have led it back home). I hope I'm just paranoid. I mean, I know I'm paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome job! I really can't imagine whatever happened was intentional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Studly job!! You kick my butt

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap that's bad ass. Congrats on KQ. Well done.

Someone covered my race number under a discarded wetsuit. T2 3-4 minutes how long it took to find the bib, and that made me finish 4th AG instead of 3rd or 2nd. I was bitter about it for months. Then there was a WTC half when one helpful volunteer saw my number coming out of the water and brought my T1 bag to the exit ramp without being asked to and without telling me. So I stripped the wetsuit, looked for my bag, and it wasn't there. Another volunteer helped me look and actually saw this lone bag sitting by water exit and ran down there and it was my bag. T1 = 6 minutes.

What happened to you is weird as hell. You'd expect to find the shoe on the ground nearby, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine was doing IM Austria. When he came into transition, his bag was missing from the rack. Turns out, another competitor had grabbed his bag by mistake, and when he realized it wasn't his, he hadn't bothered to put it back. Just grabbet his own and left my f riend's bag in the changing area. My friend spent almost an hour looking before a volunteer found it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All hail glory!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Massive respect Paul!! You are a warrior!! Congrats on a well deserved KQ!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really want to dwell on what happened, especially since it was inspiration for a great run and I met my goals. But it is hard to understand how this happens by accident. Anyone can access the bags the day before or even the morning of the race. I was in transition early in the race, so things were still pretty much systematic and arranged. There was no bright blue shoe near the bag, and no shoe in the changing tent. The hole in the bag was in an unusual place too. The shoe and race belt/number did not show up in lost and found. That being said, weird things do happen, and maybe there is some logical explanation. I think if I have an important race in the future, it might be worth checking transition bags in the morning. I always check my T1 bag because I add my prescription sunglasses. But I typically don't check my T2 bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit I thought this was a story about a DNF......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should put clear packing tape over the entire bag so that it can't have a hole ripped in it with someone's hands/fingers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” -Mary Angelou

Nice race Paul!

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done.

...what model shoes were the borrowed pair?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [cjo03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow amazing well done!

This just adds to my nerves for my first IM, people messing with your bags (intentionally or not) :O
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas: Shoe missing from T2 bag [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Will you share some pictures of your feet?

There are websites for that....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much respect. That was handled in epic fashion.

Congrats on your KQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:
I don’t know where my shoe went. It did not turn up in lost and found. It is hard for me to believe that it was missing by accident. The tear was not along the seam of the bag or the bottom. There was a bib number rolled up in the shoe, making it easily identifiable. I guess another competitor who came in earlier could have started to open the bag by accident and the shoe fell out, but it was a smallish hole in an odd place, and my bag had my name on it and an orange ribbon. If it was intentional, it is hard to accept that someone would do that.

You mentioned you got fourth at your last attempt. I can only imagine if your bag was sabotaged the cheater would have also gone for the other top age groupers in your division. Was this the case?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next