Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro Antony Costes rides 4:14 using MORF bars at IMTX [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

He rides a pretty weird position - very praying mantis. That apparently has a "super low CdA" according to another thread. But I'm always skeptical of these positions that are big outliers. I can't think of anyone who has a position like that who runs fast off of it. In fact, I can barely think of any other pro triathlete who has a position like that. That SHOULD BE a red flag if you're an athlete. Being a big outlier when there is a relatively clear norm is always a risk.

TJ Tollakson? Jesse Thomas? Floyd Landis? Also, if you go over to http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ you'll see a lot of fast guys are running as close to a mantis position as the UCI will allow.

I think a lot of people don't try or test a mantis position because the equipment isn't readily available to do so. You have to hack your way to a mantis position if you have any sort of integrated modern superbike (P5, Speed Concept, Plasma, etc) or a cockpit where the extensions aren't clip-ons. Even when you do hack your way to a mantis position via flipping some ski bends, you don't get a lot of choice for reach or elevation which makes it difficult to tune the position. For myself, personally, a mantis position would be impossible if it weren't for the plug-in extension on my Speed Concept because my forearms are too long to use ski bends flipped on a normal base bar.

How do you feel on the run - posture and pace-wise - after a few hours in the mantis position?

I'm a short course guy. What are these pluralities you speak of? :)

Closest thing I've got for you is a 2 hour tempo ride followed by a 30 minute easy run which I've done 3-4 times. Body doesn't feel any different than with my forearms angled ~10 degrees up. Keep in mind I'm a pretty slow runner... especially relative to my swim/bike... so weigh my opinion accordingly.

If you look at my A2 thread you can see pictures of my "normal" and "mantis" positions. The only change is that my hands come up. No change to back, shoulders, etc. I'm actually more comfortable in a mantis position as I'm less likely to get shoulder pain on a long ride. Probably something to do with my biceps being shorter in a mantis position.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Antony Costes rides 4:14 using MORF bars at IMTX [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspected it was about that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next