Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wear clean aero clothing"

Yeah. You never want to be caught in an accident with dirty aero clothing on.

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [krgregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who in the hell wears gloves for a tri?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was reading on these ways to be faster w/o the physical part (of course that is the main focus, but every second counts..you know that)
And here were the suggestions w/ my added quesitons:

-Ride in a straight line. On the white line if possible as it does not slow you down as much
*Is that legal as you would not be all the way to the right if someone wanted to pass you

-Remove feet from shoes on bike sliding into T2
*Is this legal? I know that AGers are not alowed to have shoes on bike coming out of swim, but can you leave them on there?

-Elastic Laces for running shoes
*They work w/o twisting your ankles due to loose shoes?

-Flying Dismounts/Mounts
*What does that mean???

-Sockless on both cycling and running
* Really? Would that not cause blisters?

*********************************************************************************

Your good days and your bad days all have sunsets!

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. See, there is no Someday!
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i find it helps with the 2:30 HIM bike split...

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful about riding on the white line. If it's raining, or has recently rained, the white line is very slick.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [IronInTheMaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Ride in a straight line. On the white line if possible as it does not slow you down as much
*Is that legal as you would not be all the way to the right if someone wanted to pass you

For all the races I've been in, even where there is a large shoulder, being on or right next to the white line is considered being to the right, and you are supposed to make passes in the actual traffic lane.

-Remove feet from shoes on bike sliding into T2
*Is this legal? I know that AGers are not alowed to have shoes on bike coming out of swim, but can you leave them on there?

Shoes on the pedals depends on the race. For IMNA races, it may not be allowed, but I have yet to enter any other race where I couldn't leave my shoes on the pedals all the time. The shorter the race, the more important this becomes if you are looking for faster transitions.

-Elastic Laces for running shoes
*They work w/o twisting your ankles due to loose shoes?

They work just fine. I haven't used regular laces in years for any of my shoes (training or racing). You can set them up to be pretty tight on your feet, which reduces the risk of ever turning your ankle.

-Flying Dismounts/Mounts
*What does that mean???

This means you get off and on your bike while it is moving, as opposed to when you and your bike are standing still. Easier said than done, these techniques require practice.

-Sockless on both cycling and running
* Really? Would that not cause blisters?

Sometimes. I use the LG tri shoes, and have never had problems with blisters when I ride sockless, even on long rides. For running, going sockless can sometimes be rough on your feet. A few tips: first, based on a few short runs going sockless in your shoes, you should be able to pinpoint "hot spots" where there is a lot of friction between the upper and your foot. These can be dealt with in a number of ways. I use what is called "moleskin" on the inside of my shoes in places where I need to cover up stitching, which does the trick. Moleskin is besically felt tape, which can be cut to shape and adhered to things. I currently use it on the insaide of my track/racing shoes.

A second thing you can do is creative modification of the shoe's upper. I've cut holes in my shoes, cut things away, and done all sorts of modifications to my shoes to ensure that I'll be confortable in them. It may affect the aesthetics of your shoe, but I would hope that's not a huge deal.

A third way I deal with friction is to stock up on rolls of waterproof first aid tape, and tape over sections of my feet that I know will develop blisters. I usually only have to do this on one toe for one pair of shoes, and I htink I have modified the shoe so that won't be necessary, but it has worked well for me in the past.

THe biggest thing to do if you want to race sockless is to train sockless. Doesn't have to be all the time, but often enough (at least once a week) that your feet can grow accustomed to not having socks on. Places that are hot spots often turn into calluses, which limit further damage. One side benefit of going sockless is that you have greater control of your shoes while running, because your foot is directly in contact with the shoe materials and isn't sliding around at all because of a sock. I really like that increased feel and control.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they are free in that they do not cost any money and they don't require any additional power output, just better use of your head.

Yes, the are all more efficient ways of racing, all of which requires practice and experience....so swim, run and bike efficiency is free too? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pull the tongue out as far as you can on your running shoe and fold it there. I remember the first time I tried this. It was in a short, sprint DU and what a relief of not having the tongue crammed inside your shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More on transitions - if there is a crowd of people getting on their bikes at the mount line, walk your bike a few extra steps past the line and get to some "open road", where you won't get smoked by somebody trying a flying mount for the first time.

Yes, speaking from experience....
Quote Reply

Prev Next