Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
10 Options for gaining Free Speed.
Quote | Reply
Without improving fitness or spending money on gear, there are a number of areas where we can gain "free speed" on race day. I thought I would list some here and we could have a discussion on how each of us tries to gain this free speed.

Speaking in generalities:
  1. Get 8 hours of sleep whenever possible. More is better.
  2. Don't waste a extra microsecond in transition. 1 min extra transition is 10 seconds per mile in an Olympic tri. Practice transitions like they are the most important of the three sports in your final week before the "A" race.
  3. Better technique in all three sports. Pick one technical aspect in each sport that you let lapse in training and remind yourself about it every minute with keywords.
  4. Draft every stroke of the swim. Never push fresh water
  5. Stay in aero position at all costs on the bike
  6. Wear clean aero clothing, and don't carry a grocery store worth of supplies on the bike
  7. Do not brake on downhills while running
  8. Better race day pacing in all sports. You only have so many matches in your matchbox, so use them well.
  9. Eat and drink on downhills on the bike
  10. If things don't go to plan, stay calm. Good things happen when you stay in focus (like Natasha Badmann)

This is just a starting point for the "Free Speed" discussion. I am sure there are a lot more. I'd like to hear "Free" things that you can do easily. I am sure there are many others that we could all apply that I am not thinking of.

If you can gain 15 seconds from each of the above in an Olympic tri, that might be 2 min off your PB. Could add up to 10 min over an Ironmans. Slap on race wheels and your 20 min quicker :-)

Thoughts? Please post.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever possible, ride your bike on the painted white line. It has less rolling resistance than the opposing road surface. ALso helps keep you riding in a straight line, which seems to be a problem with a lot of triathletes....Bet you never heard that one Dev...From the deep archives of Monty's secrets....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. "Eat and drink on downhills on the bike "

Could be very dangerous, depending on the hill.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, I actually have tried that one and I agree it works. If nothing else riding in straight line ups your speed by almost 1 mph...when I do it, it feels like riding on rollers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn to remove your feet from your shoes without unclipping while coasting into T2. I know it's not much of a secret, but it can shave off a good 10 seconds worth of unclip-hobble-sit-unstrap-pry off. I don't see that many people doing it.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unless of couse it is raining:)

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use that a lot, especially on chip seal roads as it smooths out the surface somewhat. The two exceptions are when it marks the edge of a road which is unswept and there is a lot of debris there or in the rain.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotta agree about number 2, quick transitions. I'd recommend practicing them all season long though, not just in the week before your A race. Figure out exactly what you need to do during T1 and T2 by knowing what you need to take with you on the bike and what you'll need for the run. I was meticulous, down to the nth degree, about my transitions this year, and it paid off: one of my early season victories was sealed by having flawless transitions. This was a Formula 1 duathlon, too, so there were four transitions, not just two! I think I was through each one in about 20 seconds.

My tidbits about transition (I'm a duathlete, but most will work for tris as well):
  1. Set your helmet, upside-down, on top of your aerobars or in the space between the aerobars and base bar, with the straps hanging down the sides of the helmet. Orient the helmet so that the front faces you as you approach the bike from the run/swim entrance, so that you can easily flip it on.
  2. Put your sunglasses, if you're doing a tri, inside your helmet with the arms out, so that they are easy to put on.
  3. For triathletes, start freeing yourself from your wetsuit before you get to your bike, so that you spend as little time standing still as possible. For duathletes, zip up your jersey before transition if you run with it unzipped. It's also helpful to use elastic laces (a la Yankz!, et al.) for your running shoes.
  4. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS walk through the transition area once you have racked your bike, so that you know which direction you will approach the rack from, how far of a run in and out it is, and what the fastest way to get to the mount line/from the dismount line is. If you don't, you risk getting confused in the chaos of the race, and could spend valuable seconds or minutes completely lost.
  5. Learn how to do flying mounts and dismounts. I've found that dismounts are easier, and flying mounts can be pretty tricky. I modified my flying mount technique so that it works for me, and isn't really any slower than jumping right onto the bike. Figure out what works for you, and practice it a LOT. And don't forget to use rubber bands.
  6. As a corrolary to #5, train your feet to go sockless if you can. My LG tri shoes are plenty comfy on my bare feet, and I have made some basic modifications to my running shoes to prevent chafing/blistering. I also do all my indoor riding, outdoor riding above 55 degrees, and track workouts (in my racing flats) sockless.
  7. If you need nutrition on the bike, find a way to attach it. There are plenty of options for this, from gel flask holders to bento boxes, as well as all sorts of fluid carriers. The less you have to put in your pockets, the faster your transition.
  8. Rack your bike by the nose of your saddle, so that you can get at it easily and it's already facing away from the rack. When you unrack, push your bike back slightly and let your bike disengage from the rack, then pull it forward, under the rack (all but the highest saddles will have no trouble with this) and your bike is already moving forward.
  9. Use non-A races to practice your transitions in a real race setting, without having to stress about getting everything right. Since you just came out of the water or off the first run working as hard as you would in a race (duh, since you ARE racing), you'll know exactly what it's like to try to think and concentrate when under racing stress.
  10. Above all else, visualize your transitions mentally. The more mental practice you have, the better, because then you'll have your entire routine pre-planned in your head and all you ahve to do is modify it to the particulars of that race's transition area.

If you are shooting for a PB, or to podium in your AG, work on those transitions so that, come race day, you can get yourself underway in your next leg while others are still fumbling around. The mental boost that comes from that is enormous.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [A-Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"""""Put your sunglasses, if you're doing a tri, inside your helmet with the arms out, so that they are easy to put on.""""

it's actually faster to hook them through your helmet upside down or however you can get them to stay, then put on your sunglasses after you are rolling on your bike. Another option is to slip an arm between the waterbottle cage and the water bottle, then grab just after tightening the final straps on your cycling shoe.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 23, 05 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [A-Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-train. This is awesome. I always ride and run with no socks until it gets really cold. Winter no socks cutoff is minus 5. Biking no socks cutoff is plus 7. I had a buddy whose bike shoes were permanently attached to his bike. He mounted and dismounted that way for every training ride.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, that would probably be a bit faster. WHen I did tris, I always put them on before putting on my helmet, but I don't worry about it anymore since I run with them on in duathlons. Good point though, hadn't thought of that!

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Get 8 hours of sleep whenever possible. More is better

This one is more geared towards an ironman..

- In the days before the race. Stay off your feet and out of the sun as much as possible. Get your workouts over early and then bring lots of DVD's or in the case of L.P. watch The Tour on the bed in your hotel. Don't ruin a perfectly good taper by walking up and down main street all day window shopping. Promise the Spouse and Kids the vacation will start after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A-train. This is awesome. I always ride and run with no socks until it gets really cold. Winter no socks cutoff is minus 5. Biking no socks cutoff is plus 7. I had a buddy whose bike shoes were permanently attached to his bike. He mounted and dismounted that way for every training ride.

How often does he turtle at red lights?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. ['luga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...he just does track stands :-)

Actually his name is Marty Raymond.

Check out www.ultramanlive.com.

He is competing there this weekend. Not like transitions are a huge deal at Ultraman, but they were when we raced head to head in military competition 15 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I start and finish each ride with my shoes still attached to the pedals. If I stop for water, I leave the shoes attached to the pedals. The only time I unclip is for a red light or something requiring a quick stop. I mainly do this to extend the life of my cleats, but it does give me faster tranisitions, however the last 3 M-Dot races I have done have not allowed us to leave our shoes on the pedals before the race and this has lead to me fumbling around for a second or two while I clip in. I guess a second or two shouldn't matter in a day that long, but I should practice regular clipping in more frequently to avoid any frustration from that 1-2 secs of fumling around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steal some Zipp wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not bad, but you forgot "Do not brake on downhills while biking."

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this doesn't apply to you Dev, but for most of us, including me, losing five to ten pounds would be a huge factor, even if the overall fitness level remains the same. I am currently at about 14% body fat. I'd like to get down to around 10% by next spring.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Eat and drink on downhills on the bike[/reply]
Hmmm. this is the worst time to go aero.

What do others think?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Whenever possible, ride your bike on the painted white line. It has less rolling resistance than the opposing road surface. ALso helps keep you riding in a straight line, which seems to be a problem with a lot of triathletes....Bet you never heard that one Dev...From the deep archives of Monty's secrets....[/reply]

Ah, hell - I thought i was taking that secret to the grave.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to eat and drink on the uphills where air resistance is less important.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spend two minutes running for every minute you spend dinking around on the computer and we are all going to be on the podium, I promise.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, so true, so true

maybe gary Tingley had it right by exiting the board.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 10 Options for gaining Free Speed. [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually talking about things you can do to gain speed without doing any more training or spending money. Truly free speed. You have to work to lose 5-10 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually talking about things you can do to gain speed without doing any more training or spending money. Truly free speed. You have to work to lose 5-10 lbs.

Ah, actually... not in my case. If I just spent less time checking out the kitchen. I eat way too much for my size. In fact fewer steps walking to the kitchen, and less money spent at the market would save me both time and money. :-)

I got your original post and your intent, but my free speed is in those next five pounds.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply

Prev Next