Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I wanted it to be about the stuff you don't need to do, not the stuff you do you need to do.

Deep down I think everybody realizes to do your best you have to train hard and smart and consistently over a long period of time to reach your potential(whatever that is) but then they get distracted with bs and discouraged. I have been there. I did most of the stuff I listed at some juncture. It's great to know it's not necessary, that was my point.

PS I know a lot of cat 2 cyclists who would get their butts handed to them by elite AG dudes in an IM bike, no matter how much they worked at it. But that is a diff post.

Enjoyed your podcast btw!

I agree with this. Especially the train hard, smart, and consistently over a long period of time. I think for some, not implying you in this case, who have good genes it might take them less time to get better compared to others. I've been able to train hard and consistently but until I got a coach this year I wasn't training nearly as smart as I should.
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, there is so much advice on what you need to buy, do, ways to train, recover, what to eat etc etc it can be confusing and intimidating.

Although I can't talk as an AG winner I Did KQ for the second time on Saturday off about 12 hrs/ week and I have zero pedigree. I swam up to the age of 14 about 3 times a week at our local swim club. My first running race was a 10k in 2008 and I've never done any bike racing in my life. My first triathlon was in 2011. Consistency is the key.... and obviously good genes!

On top of all the things you mention above I would add that you don't need to own a $10k bike, and you don't need to obsess about what you are eating.
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Horse thieves are actually pretty fast - have you ever tried to catch a horse? So you may have good genes after all. My ancestors were Scottish cattle thieves on the one side, and William The Conquerer on the other. Not sure if either were fast, but they both had the mental game dialed (which counts a lot in endurance sports).

PS whoever won 50-54 beat me. I'm wondering what his ancestors did

he mentioned Pheidippides as one of his ancestors in his blog ...
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [Stimps9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stimps9 wrote:
I swam up to the age of 14 about 3 times a week at our local swim club.

That's a big advantage, because many ( including me) have big difficulties with swimming when learning as an adult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
PSA
I have some ideas about the basic greens fees for finishing at the pointy end of your AG, but none that I care to defend, debate, or deliberate. They are only ideas, and only what works for me.
The following are facts, not the alternative kind. These are things a person 100% does not have to do and can still win their AG, because my lame-ass just did it for the second time in 2 years. Hope it helps:
1. Take any supplements or recovery powder.*
2. Average more than 16 hours a week in the 16 weeks leading up to the race.
3. Be a doper.
4. Train much on a tt bike on the road as long as you can get a few hours a week in the bars on the trainer.
5. Train the Run very much, if any, above Z2 on fresh legs.
6. Be at your lightest weight ever.
7. Have a power meter on race day as long as you truly know your Z2 HR and know that steady pressure on the pedals is more efficient than surging.
8. Worry an iota about or even find out who is registered in your AG.
9. Practice race-day nutrition in training very often once you learn what works for you at different ambient temperatures.
10. Spend time or energy trying to be “sponsored” by anything.
11. Have superfreak genes.**

Funny I have a friend with multiple AG wins in Kona. Before he retired, he took supplements. He trained more than 16 hours a week. He did all his training on tri bike. He trained a moderate amount on the run. He knew who was showing up every time he raced. He spent a lot of time getting product sponsors. He also keeps incredibly detailed training logs. I am pretty sure he could tell you what he had for lunch 3 weeks out from the race for every IM.

I think it is more about finding out what works for you. And what your genes can do for you with what type of training.

Point on genes and type of training. I used to ride with a lower lever pro triathlete/duathlete. He had more pure speed than any triathlete I ever knew. He was also very fragile, and constantly was injured. I think he had a mental issue with not training big days and efforts. He always thought that is what he needed. (He also tended to wreck his bike a good bit. )

Congrats. I am more like you. I under train, take no supplements, have never owned a power meter, and was never a doper. (Was never a doper while an athlete. I won't mention those old days when I was tended bar for a living and smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day. But, I never stole no horses!) I used to podium, but never at an IM. I am glad to see this formula still works for somebody!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right, none of the things you enumerated are required to be successful or win your AG in an IM. The 2:40 marathon MP probably helps more.
I'm a good "triathlon" swimmer and good "triathlon" cyclist. I became one because as a kid I swam and biked. I didn't run more than 1k until I was 32 though. As a "swim" swimmer I'm mediocre and as a "cycling" cyclist as well however I swim and ride in the 0.5% of my AG in a triathlon and I get better the longer the distance. My run sucks though compared to swim and bike and I'm probably never going to top my AG on the run. I train just as hard and smart on the run as on the swim and bike but the swim and bike come natural and the run does not.
What I'm saying is that it probably helps to have a good background in one of the sports and of all three it's probably the run that will dictate if you are successful or not as a triathlete. Someone who can run a 2:40 open marathon can be a bad swimmer and a mediocre biker and will still mop the floor with 90% of the field in an IM. It's not the other way around with swim/bike unfortunately.
Last edited by: sp1ke: Apr 25, 17 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Thanks for a peek behind the curtain....I'm guessing there aren't 50 guys on this forum who can make the claim they are/were a Cat 2 rider and a 2:40 marathoner..

Really? Could be you are right - but off the top of my head, I'd think there's actually quite a few more than that.
I mean, I've got 10 years w/ a USAC license and a Cat2, and a 2:40, and I don't find that to be particularly outstanding among STers. Now, many/most of the truly FAST people I know AFK that are on this forum don't post much - but they are absolutely here.

Admittedly, my sample could be skewed by living and socializing in three training/sporting paradises over the last 3 places I've lived (15 years) - but those criteria don't seem particularly far fetched to me.
Last edited by: hidayanra: Apr 25, 17 11:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next