Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD)
Quote | Reply
PSA
I have some ideas about the basic greens fees for finishing at the pointy end of your AG, but none that I care to defend, debate, or deliberate. They are only ideas, and only what works for me.
The following are facts, not the alternative kind. These are things a person 100% does not have to do and can still win their AG, because my lame-ass just did it for the second time in 2 years. Hope it helps:
1. Take any supplements or recovery powder.*
2. Average more than 16 hours a week in the 16 weeks leading up to the race.
3. Be a doper.
4. Train much on a tt bike on the road as long as you can get a few hours a week in the bars on the trainer.
5. Train the Run very much, if any, above Z2 on fresh legs.
6. Be at your lightest weight ever.
7. Have a power meter on race day as long as you truly know your Z2 HR and know that steady pressure on the pedals is more efficient than surging.
8. Worry an iota about or even find out who is registered in your AG.
9. Practice race-day nutrition in training very often once you learn what works for you at different ambient temperatures.
10. Spend time or energy trying to be “sponsored” by anything.
11. Have superfreak genes.**
12. I would love to make #12 say “Spend time lurking in ST forums or thinking and daydreaming about recreational sports when you could be being WAY more productive.”, but sadly I cannot claim that yet.
*In the past I have dabbled with Spirulina, B-12 lozenges, Optygen, Fish Oil, Sport Legs, Amino Acids and First Endurance Multi-V. I read Cody Beals saying something the general worthlessness of supplements, and since he is smarter than I am and has likely thought about it way more than I have, and since I secretly suspected that it was the case all along, it was liberating to leave that junk alone. ***
**I come from a long line of drunks, horse-thieves and crazy people. There is not one athlete in the last 3 generations on either side.
*** Warning, the following is gross. Stop reading here unless you enjoy disgusting things, weirdo. I once talked to the guy who comes with the big vacuum and sucks dry the porta potty tanks. I first asked him how he deals with the smell and he said, “What smell?”. Then I asked if he ever saw anything weird in there because a friend who served in the Peace Corps told me some stories about Guatemalan out-houses that actually affected my worldview(for the worse). The vacuum guy told me that oftentimes undigested vitamins are stuck to the bottom of the porta potty tank.
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your win.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Apr 25, 17 1:38
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
PSA
I have some ideas about the basic greens fees for finishing at the pointy end of your AG, but none that I care to defend, debate, or deliberate. They are only ideas, and only what works for me.
The following are facts, not the alternative kind. These are things a person 100% does not have to do and can still win their AG, because my lame-ass just did it for the second time in 2 years. Hope it helps:
3. Be a doper.
4. Train much on a tt bike on the road as long as you can get a few hours a week in the bars on the trainer.
7. Have a power meter on race day as long as you truly know your Z2 HR and know that steady pressure on the pedals is more efficient than surging.
9. Practice race-day nutrition in training very often once you learn what works for you at different ambient temperatures.
12. I would love to make #12 say “Spend time lurking in ST forums or thinking and daydreaming about recreational sports when you could be being WAY more productive.”, but sadly I cannot claim that yet.
*In the past I have dabbled with Spirulina, B-12 lozenges, Optygen, Fish Oil, Sport Legs, Amino Acids and First Endurance Multi-V. I read Cody Beals saying something the general worthlessness of supplements, and since he is smarter than I am and has likely thought about it way more than I have, and since I secretly suspected that it was the case all along, it was liberating to leave that junk alone. ***
**I come from a long line of drunks, horse-thieves and crazy people. There is not one athlete in the last 3 generations on either side.
*** Warning, the following is gross. Stop reading here unless you enjoy disgusting things, weirdo. I once talked to the guy who comes with the big vacuum and sucks dry the porta potty tanks. I first asked him how he deals with the smell and he said, “What smell?”. Then I asked if he ever saw anything weird in there because a friend who served in the Peace Corps told me some stories about Guatemalan out-houses that actually affected my worldview(for the worse). The vacuum guy told me that oftentimes undigested vitamins are stuck to the bottom of the porta potty tank.

Congrats on the win. What was your AG so I can visually imagine you typing this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice one
using your logic re talent you should be be a horse -thieve and alcoholic in real life ;-)

DBF wrote:
PSA
3. Be a doper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome job winning your AG twice. Great post too.

you do have some "freak" genes. Genetics are funny how they bounce gifts and talents around. For all you know your relatives might have had some of the stuff to be great like you. But to be fair. (to you). You put "it" together and added that magic mental aspect to being successful - freak genes or not. The mental side is a must have to beat everybody else on the day.

and, the horse thief relatives must have lived long enough to... well... have children, so you can thank them for your parents, etc. 'cause freak genes or not, "you must be present to win!" :-)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanna hear more about these horse thieves

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your AG win.

I'm just curious - what's your endurance sports resume' (how many years training)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win!

I only have one thing to add to your thread, and it pertains to the last comment about porta johns.

I work in the construction industry. I am far too familiar with the vacuum truck that comes to clean out the porta johns (around here we call it the 'honey wagon'). I once saw a truck pull up at lunch time, and the operator commenced the task of sucking out the contents of the porta john. Because it was lunch, I guess he decided he would multi task. I saw him with one hand on the hose, and in the other hand he was holding a sandwich, which he was gleefully mowing down on. They truly must not notice the smell. The mere sight of that caused me to dry heave.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great win! Are you kidding about horse thieves, or is that just a figure of speech? I understand that I (literally) had a few in my family tree. So I might be offended if youre derogating them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if you're under 54 you biked sub 5 and ran sub 3:12.
And possibly one of those being 10-15mins faster than above times (or both!).

No easy feat, you've either got a strong background/strength in one of them or v consistent in each discipline which for most of us is where we struggle...

If you are in the faster age groups above, running sub 3:12 and possibly sub 3 is excellent on your mentioned run volume and most at z2.

Now, you may have a big strength and so your hours are skewed towards other two disciplines to return better result.
Too many variables. Without more info it seems like a back door brag. Actually front door.

Without responding with more detail for all we know you could be one of the ex pros or ex college runners that took out AG wins at Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm stealing a horse today so that my son has a chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the ag win. I've never sniffed a podium in any race large or small.

I can also share that it is possible to struggle barely to the top 10% of your ag on my most perf cat day after hitting 20hrs per week, building over a decade, working with a reputable coach, being as light as I ever was, missing work and giving it everything I had.

Honestly I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from this post (other than he's faster than I am). It wasn't genetics, it wasn't training and it wasn't cheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post...(pink)
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [jimmy3993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I didn't mean for it to come off like that. I think I train and execute pretty much perfectly (for me) and I'm certain that my genetics are ok but not crazy. I ran in high school it but was not good enough to run in college. I raced bicycles for 10 years and was good but not great(average cat 2 when in perfect shape). Got back into running and did a couple marathons in the low 2:40s. That is what I meant by not super freak genetics. Certainly good, but not crazy. I've always been around more talented people for sure.
Training methods have been debated on slowtwitch so much that sharing what works for me I don't think will be beneficial for most people.
If you have a coach that you like and you're continually progressing and enjoying yourself, that is what it is all about.

I will tell you this in regards to training, I trained a certain way for seven years and was good(KQ2, missed 3x). I made a change that involved a written plan from one of the big coaching places and I am much stronger at 47 that I was at 40. 16 hours might not seem like a lot but the way it is written out works for me. I can't know how hard or not hard other people go, but my build is absolutely the limits of what my body can handle.

Hope this helps, sorry if I came across like a sanctimonious wiener, and hope you keep at it. Sincerely.

Typed from iPhone excuse typos please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I enjoyed this post. I'd say that the large majority of those points apply to pros as well!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah it was mostly me pouting.
I'm 47 as well.
My best open marathon (7 attempts) was 3:52
So it shouldn't shock me that I'm crossing the line 90 to 120min after you. If tried everything from high intensity low volume (anyone remember CrossFit Endurance?) to big vol / lower intensity. Had my best result in 2015 so in 2016 I decided to push even harder. Wound up sick and burned out with a couple of IM finishes that would have amazed me 10 years ago but dissapointed me as they happened.
Trying to get back on the horse...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I love me some "I don't train an insane amount and still kick ass" threads as much as anybody, but -

That you were a Cat2 and a low 2:40 marathon guy prior - shows you have above average innate ability, likely coupled with an ability & willingness to work/suffer to maximize the ability you do have, on the training you do.

You can't poo poo off any of those things, as they show you have a great motor, and fairly exceptional ability at 2 of the 3 disciplines.

Cat2 = MONSTER AG tri cyclist.
Low 2:40 Mary = MONSTER AG tri runner.

Frankly, you'd only need to not drown as a swimmer, to kick AG ass with those bike & run abilities.

PS - congrats. You put it all together and crushed dreams.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Hey, I love me some "I don't train an insane amount and still kick ass" threads as much as anybody, but -

That you were a Cat2 and a low 2:40 marathon guy prior - shows you have above average innate ability, likely coupled with an ability & willingness to work/suffer to maximize the ability you do have, on the training you do.

You can't poo poo off any of those things, as they show you have a great motor, and fairly exceptional ability at 2 of the 3 disciplines.

Cat2 = MONSTER AG tri cyclist.
Low 2:40 Mary = MONSTER AG tri runner.

Frankly, you'd only need to not drown as a swimmer, to kick AG ass with those bike & run abilities.

PS - congrats. You put it all together and crushed dreams.

^
what he said. putting together a great IM (for an AG'er) is not about being an ex gold medalist, but you can't suck either. Cat 2 and 2:40 low Mary - they both don't suck. The marathon time likely shows some ability to suffer - the magic mental aspect necessary for top performance in IM as well.

Inspiring none-the-less

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I didn't mean for it to come off like that. I think I train and execute pretty much perfectly (for me) and I'm certain that my genetics are ok but not crazy. I ran in high school it but was not good enough to run in college. I raced bicycles for 10 years and was good but not great(average cat 2 when in perfect shape). Got back into running and did a couple marathons in the low 2:40s. That is what I meant by not super freak genetics. Certainly good, but not crazy. I've always been around more talented people for sure.
Training methods have been debated on slowtwitch so much that sharing what works for me I don't think will be beneficial for most people.
If you have a coach that you like and you're continually progressing and enjoying yourself, that is what it is all about.

I will tell you this in regards to training, I trained a certain way for seven years and was good(KQ2, missed 3x). I made a change that involved a written plan from one of the big coaching places and I am much stronger at 47 that I was at 40. 16 hours might not seem like a lot but the way it is written out works for me. I can't know how hard or not hard other people go, but my build is absolutely the limits of what my body can handle.

Hope this helps, sorry if I came across like a sanctimonious wiener, and hope you keep at it. Sincerely.

Typed from iPhone excuse typos please.

Thanks for a peek behind the curtain....I'm guessing there aren't 50 guys on this forum who can make the claim they are/were a Cat 2 rider and a 2:40 marathoner..

You do have the genetics to back up a KQ..Whether you think so or not

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, most age groupers do not have 10 years of cat 2 racing and some 2:40 marathons under their. Doesn't mean you didn't work hard to get where you're at. I don't think you require "freak genetics" to win an age group but it probably helps to have pretty good genes.
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see what you're saying, I will rephrase the winning part. I think people get intimidated when they think they need to do a whole bunch of cumbersome/expensive/confusing things like I listed to reach their potential or compete fairly with others. Being the best you can be at IM is less intricate than that.
I know no matter what I could never be have been a professional athlete of any type, but it has nothing to do with not being able to do the stuff I listed above. All of that would not help. That was my point, poorly articulated it turns out.
I did not mean to insinuate that anybody can win their AG regardless of genetics, just that you don't need to be an ex-pro or gold medalist or anything, although you do need the ex-pros and gold medalists not to show up that day😊😊 (Chris Hauth and that Finnish gazilllionare could roll off the couch and destroy me based on their pedigree alone).

Point is-- train hard and smart, always have fun and that will lead to consistency, and don't get distracted with BS.

BTW 16 hours a week is imo is a TON of training, month after month, year after year. If a person is taking every third or fourth week easy for recovery, and a day off every week, it is about 3 hours a day. I "only" averaged 12.75 hours a week for the year. I strongly suspect most who are trying to KQ in reality do less and think they do more. Most people can make great improvements on that volume and come close to their potential if they spend those hours right.

My last response, hope it helped, and have fun!

Types on an I-phone, Please excuse typos.
Last edited by: DBF: Apr 24, 17 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I raced bicycles for 10 years and was good but not great(average cat 2 when in perfect shape)

Uhhhhh... holy shit? So that is kinda glossed over in the first post. Since the majority of the time is on the bike, that's kinda important.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horse thieves are actually pretty fast - have you ever tried to catch a horse? So you may have good genes after all. My ancestors were Scottish cattle thieves on the one side, and William The Conquerer on the other. Not sure if either were fast, but they both had the mental game dialed (which counts a lot in endurance sports).

PS whoever won 50-54 beat me. I'm wondering what his ancestors did

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your win... but you are pretty ridiculously gifted genetically as the others pointed out. Good for you!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM TEXAS AG WINNER PSA (NOT AN ASK ME ANYTHING THREAD) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted it to be about the stuff you don't need to do, not the stuff you do you need to do.

Deep down I think everybody realizes to do your best you have to train hard and smart and consistently over a long period of time to reach your potential(whatever that is) but then they get distracted with bs and discouraged. I have been there. I did most of the stuff I listed at some juncture. It's great to know it's not necessary, that was my point.

PS I know a lot of cat 2 cyclists who would get their butts handed to them by elite AG dudes in an IM bike, no matter how much they worked at it. But that is a diff post.

Enjoyed your podcast btw!
Last edited by: DBF: Apr 24, 17 16:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next