Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your Top 5 Tips to get faster at breast and back stroke [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
I was an OK HS swimmer who could win individual races in Free, Fly and Back, but my breaststroke was so awful that I rarely won an IM event. I've searched for ways to improve in the 40 years since, without any significant progress, but I do feel your pain!

One tip I do have on Breaststroke is that because you spend so much time face down in the water, you can gauge your speed very well by watching the tiles pass by on the pool bottom. This allows you to work on the timing of your kick and pull with very direct feedback. In my case, I've added a few beats of pause after the kick because that is the fastest I'm going thoughout the stroke cycle.

Good luck!

Cool that is awesome feedback on the tiles at the bottom of the pool. I have a good streamline now from my fly, so I can see how this phase would be the fastest in the entire stroke. Its like when the legs come out, a parachute gets pulled out of the body and the tiles instantly stop moving!
Quote Reply
Re: Your Top 5 Tips to get faster at breast and back stroke [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev - I was looking at the FINA world masters records yesterday and noticed that the ST poster known as "SH" set the men's 50-54 WR for the 100 m IM. He doesn't post on ST much anymore but I think you could still send him a PM and he'd prob be more than happy to give you some tips. He went 1:00.57 for 100 scm IM in Dec 2016. He is also the STer who posted about being "touched out by Matt Biondi" in the 100 yd IM at the U.S. masters champs in spring of '13; Biondi went a 54.9 vs SH's 55.1. SH is really "the man" who should be giving you IM tips. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Your Top 5 Tips to get faster at breast and back stroke [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alright alright, this is the only real answer:

Work your dolphin kick. This will make you a better swimmer, better at sprinting, better at distance, better in open water, better in back,breast, fly and free. It will make you better looking, better in the sack, better on the bike, faster on the run. I don't think it helps with spelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Top 5 Tips to get faster at breast and back stroke [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
alright alright, this is the only real answer:

Work your dolphin kick. This will make you a better swimmer, better at sprinting, better at distance, better in open water, better in back,breast, fly and free. It will make you better looking, better in the sack, better on the bike, faster on the run. I don't think it helps with spelling.

LOL....I have been working on that for 2 months. Every push off from the wall I am trying to do 1/4 to 1/3 of the pool dolphin under water. As for your middle points about I don't think my wife is holding out any high hopes, although she is probably happy that were husband is a bit different than the rest of the 50 something doughboy husbands on the street, so there is that. But that's about it. Over to the pool and lots of everything you guys are suggesting here!
Quote Reply
Re: Your Top 5 Tips to get faster at breast and back stroke [scottm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scottm wrote:
Quote:
What do you think about this video with fins. Looks like kicking the water back with the flat part of the fins and then whipping the sole of the feet together.

Nope, too hard to engage the inside edge and underside of the fins with proper breaststroke kick. Unless you have special breaststroke fins.

I have a question for you guys. On the breast kick while keeping knees close together and picking up heels so they "almost touch butt" (visualization, not actual), when you start the kick after picking up the heels should you feel the front of your shins applying pressure to the water until you get to the "closing of the legs" and you feel the inside pressure and finally on the bottom of the feet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
scottm wrote:
Quote:
What do you think about this video with fins. Looks like kicking the water back with the flat part of the fins and then whipping the sole of the feet together.

Nope, too hard to engage the inside edge and underside of the fins with proper breaststroke kick. Unless you have special breaststroke fins.

I have a question for you guys. On the breast kick while keeping knees close together and picking up heels so they "almost touch butt" (visualization, not actual), when you start the kick after picking up the heels should you feel the front of your shins applying pressure to the water until you get to the "closing of the legs" and you feel the inside pressure and finally on the bottom of the feet?

After you bring your heels up, point your toes out, then push straight back. You want to feel the pressure solely on the inside edges of your feet for the whole extension / power phase of the kick. All the force should be directed behind you, like you're jumping off that inside edge of your foot.

At the very end of the kick you should squeeze the soles of your feet together, but don't worry about that until you feel the kick on the inside of your feet.

Try holding on to the wall and kicking to get the feel. Or better yet, find a friend and do a sumo-wrestling-style kick-off. You face each other holding onto a single kickboard and try to move the other person backwards. That will highlight any dead spots in your kick real quick and you can work to eliminate those. Even better if your partner is doing flutter or dolphin kick without any dead spots.
Quote Reply

Prev Next