Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: i must be a dumbass (regarding tire widths) [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:
I wonder what the rate of pinch flats is now that low pressure is de rigueur?

Depends. If you're running latex tubes, then they're much more pinch-resistant than butyl. If you're running tubeless, then it's a non-issue.

Anyway, the idea is that "sweet spot" of tire pressures is not so high that you might get near the "breakpoint pressure" for whatever particular surface you go on...and not so low that you increase your likelihood of pinch flats.

If you can't accomplish that, then you might want to consider running wider tires...or, lose some weight ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: i must be a dumbass (regarding tire widths) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
yeah, josh and i have been trading emails all along during these recent polls.

Well...now you're just making me feel left out ;-)

Slowman wrote:
my only question revolves around the notion of what is "perfect" asphalt. in my experience, depending on who's laying the asphalt, new asphalt is far from perfect. it's horrible. it's got to be smooshed down for a few months by cars repeatedly driving over it until i and my bike like it.

Not just the "smooshing", but the the asphalt will also tend to "cure", or harden over time (probably an out-gassing effect). Some of the slowness of a brand new surface may be coming from the surface itself being somewhat soft...which is then getting into the types of things needing consideration for off-road uses.

Slowman wrote:
i think the roads you and i tend to race on are more often much smoother than milled pavement ready for the final coat or green finished pavement. still, i take your point and i should've stuck 80psi in there.

Tend to be...but there can also be sections that aren't. I recall doing the CBR "State" TT near your house one year (the full 40K out and back course on the south edge of Edwards AFB, not the SCNCA course). There was an ~1/2mile section in that which was VERY rough...and it was easy to pick out in the power file later due to the dramatic speed reduction vs. the power output. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would've run wide tires (wider than I did at the time) at considerably lower pressures, just for that one section (gone over twice - out and back).

Slowman wrote:
as an aside, i do think josh's new thinking makes me think about softride's thesis 25 years ago, that muscle vibration is big performance limiter. funny how we hold notions in our heads for a generation or more and then we find out we shouldn't have been so dogmatic.

Well...we have to be careful to separate vibration effects on muscle power producing ability vs. vibration effects dissipating energy in the body tissues. Softride's thesis was more of the former than the latter. Also, if you're relying on a suspension system between the tire and the rider to reduce vibration energy making it to the rider, then those are going to be energy dissipating effects as well, and not as fast as using the tire for as much "suspension" as possible...especially considering that fast tires are by definition low energy dissipating ones as well...know what I mean? :-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 25, 17 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: i must be a dumbass (regarding tire widths) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I recall doing the CBR "State" TT near your house one year (the full 40K out and back course on the south edge of Edwards AFB, not the SCNCA course)."

well, that was your problem. you should've stuck to the much closer (to my house) SCNCA course at lake los angeles. then you could've run 100psi ;-)

"we have to be careful to separate vibration effects on muscle power producing ability vs. vibration effects dissipating energy in the body tissues. Softride's thesis was more of the former than the latter."

i defer entirely to your memory and understanding of this. i was at that time making sure they didn't sell any bikes, making sure i sold all the bikes (or at least giving that my best effort). i was less eager to understand their thesis in depth, lest i fall over the edge and start agreeing with them.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

More good fodder for the psi poll here:

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...pressure-change.html

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I recall doing the CBR "State" TT near your house one year (the full 40K out and back course on the south edge of Edwards AFB, not the SCNCA course)."

well, that was your problem. you should've stuck to the much closer (to my house) SCNCA course at lake los angeles. then you could've run 100psi ;-)

I did both that year...and the SCNCA course sometimes has some pretty rough cracks and such that need to be avoided...I remember the 2nd leg in particular requiring some careful "path selection"...

Slowman wrote:
"we have to be careful to separate vibration effects on muscle power producing ability vs. vibration effects dissipating energy in the body tissues. Softride's thesis was more of the former than the latter."

i defer entirely to your memory and understanding of this. i was at that time making sure they didn't sell any bikes, making sure i sold all the bikes (or at least giving that my best effort). i was less eager to understand their thesis in depth, lest i fall over the edge and start agreeing with them.

Yeah, as I recall there were some studies showing how vibration exposure reduced muscular power production.

Quote Reply
Re: i must be a dumbass (regarding tire widths) [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For 23mm tires with narrower internal rim width I would only ever ride between 85-90psi. It's a sweet spot for smoothness and least energy to rotate, at least on NZ and Australian chipseal. If I'm ever on smoother surfaces, it's 90-95.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: i must be a dumbass (regarding tire widths) [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
For 23mm tires with narrower internal rim width I would only ever ride between 85-90psi. It's a sweet spot for smoothness and least energy to rotate, at least on NZ and Australian chipseal. If I'm ever on smoother surfaces, it's 90-95.

You left off one of the other variables...how much you weigh :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
still, are you running with pressure below 90psi for road tires in timed racing? if so, that takes some advanced thinking. perhaps i didn't give you guys enough credit.

Usually yes. But it depends. For example, SC State TT championships is a very flat road but with relatively average pavement. The tire choice at that race front vs. rear and their associated pressures came into play when setting up my bike. Same thing with NC State TT champs. Charlotte motor speedway 10mi TT's (monthly series) also required adjustments related to tire choice (~20mm Conti SS tire on Zipp 808 FC) and pressure (that vs. the SW TC in back, for example, at 700x24).
Quote Reply
Re: i must be a dumbass (regarding tire widths) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Low 60s. If I had an extra 20kg to cart around I expect that I'd be running slightly higher pressures.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply

Prev Next