Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chain lube [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, guess not that thorough, Will have to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer this brand, but Penn Pride is also good, a straight 30 weight is good for normal use and something lighter is OK for that special race. Make sure to wipe if off with an old tube sock.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Has anyone tried Wend Wax yet?

I just started using it and it seems good. I'm not too sure about long term use but I'll be finding out.

Just saw a post about Wend Wax and the On/Off kit on Bike Rumour. https://www.bikerumor.com/...in-mashing-soft-wax/ It's got me interested.

Any further feedback from your point of view?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [Aspo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing great; nothing horrible.

It's definitely slick but I found it clumped up after use.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sky uses Mobil 1 OW-20 along with many others....
I have also personally tested it...the results are so far ahead of any other tested products that it's crazy
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I prefer this brand, but Penn Pride is also good, a straight 30 weight is good for normal use and something lighter is OK for that special race. Make sure to wipe if off with an old tube sock.

I also lube with motor oil which is lying around for the car. Sometimes I clean my chain (which gets real dirty) with such an apparatus:
https://www.bike-discount.de/...zA1dMCFZQy0wod9bALBA
filled with petroleum.

All doesn't cost a lot of time and money. But if I see how much effort some put in cleaning and lubing I get a bad conscience sometimes...
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Sky uses Mobil 1 OW-20 along with many others....
I have also personally tested it...the results are so far ahead of any other tested products that it's crazy

Mobil 1 OW-20 is popular around here either. Worth giving it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made two discoveries cleaning my mom's house, one she was a hoarder of candles and two there was a nice crock pot. As such, I have been dropping my chains in molten wax every week or so. I bought the nice pliers for popping open the quick link and have found it to be a very easy and tidy way to keep things rolling with minimal effort. And I like minimal effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use ProLink Gold. Squirt's good too. If you ride in the rain a lot, a motor oil / mineral spirits home brew works well but attracts more dirt.

IMO:
1. The key to to avoid applying too much lube. Lots of cyclists ride around with chains that are dripping with lube, that just attracts dirt and gums things up. Use just enough to stop stuff from squeaking: one drop on each roller if you're obsessive or a thin bead followed by a thorough wipe if you're time pressed..
2. Avoid aerosols, they just make a mess and apply too much lube.
3. Diluted Simple Green in a chain cleaner followed by two run throughs with water is an easy way to get a very clean chain if it's not that greasy and just a bit dirty. Painting on some odorless mineral spirits with a thick brush followed by Simple Green / water works well if your chain is really a greasy / oily mess.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on all counts, but nothing smells like racing more that a nice diesel bath
Quote Reply

Prev Next